RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 07:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX To Shed Weight With Aluminum

Many automakers in the luxury segment use lightweight but pricey aluminum in the construction of their vehicles to help shed weight and thus boost fuel economy, including Lexus which has several models with aluminum hoods. Going forward, Lexus plans to increase its usage of the lightweight stuff, with the next-generation RX expected to feature aluminum for its hood, tailgate and closures.

The information was revealed to Automotive News (subscription required) by an inside source at Lexus’ parent company Toyota. The source also revealed that the next-generation Toyota Camry, due in 2018, will also feature aluminum, but only for its hood.

As for the new RX, it’s due to go on sale next fall, as a 2016 model. The vehicle will share its underpinnings with the latest Toyota Highlander and may offer a seven-seat option for the first time.

It will be built at the same plant in Cambridge, Ontario where the current RX is built and should continue to be offered in RX 350 and RX 450h variants. An eight-speed automatic is expected to be fitted across the range, and there should be an F Sport performance trim level too.

In addition to using more aluminum, a Toyota spokesperson confirmed to Automotive News that the automaker is also looking at using more mixed materials and resins to help further save weight. The practice is already used extensively by the German makes and relies on the use of lightweight materials, such as composites, for certain non-structural components that would be made of heavier steel in conventional designs.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-with-aluminum
Old 01-13-15, 07:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Remember reading this a while back elsewhere but it's a nice reminder about the aluminum hood + tailgate, like the CT currently has had since inception. Current RX depending on model, is 4300-4500 lbs and hoping it will not gain anymore weight (despite a size increase) and get the new 3.5L D4S engine like in the Tacoma with at least 310hp...

Last edited by Hoovey689; 01-13-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 09:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Remember reading this a while back elsewhere but it's a nice reminder about the aluminum hood + tailgate, like the CT currently has had since inception. Current RX depending on model, is 4300-4500 lbs and hoping it will not gain anymore weight (despite a size increase) and get the new 3.5L D4S engine like in the Tacoma with at least 310 hp...
Certainly needs it, SRX and MKX are now 300+hp
Old 01-13-15, 10:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The ES and RX are two of the best sellers. Im sure they will nail it. I get RXs as service loaners all the time. Looking forward to checking one out.
Old 01-14-15, 11:14 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Remember reading this a while back elsewhere but it's a nice reminder about the aluminum hood + tailgate, like the CT currently has had since inception. Current RX depending on model, is 4300-4500 lbs and hoping it will not gain anymore weight (despite a size increase) and get the new 3.5L D4S engine like in the Tacoma with at least 310hp...
I was searching for the engine code for Tacoma's "all-new" D4S but wasn't able to find it yesterday. I am highly looking forward to a new engine with all the goodies!

EDIT: Wiki says it's a 2GR-FSE, which is not a "new" engine...does this mean we're stuck with another generation of aging Toyota engine?

Here's the speculation I've gathered so far:
-Geneva auto show (Mar 5) - 4RX teasers
-NY Auto show (Apr 3) - 4RX unveiling
Here's what I think the 4RX needs to be a slam dunk:
-Weight loss
-New engine with D4S with atkinson/otto switching
-Panoramic sunroof
-Color HUD
-i-AFS - swiveling, tilting headlamps
-CarPlay!
-Electronic parking brake
-360 camera
-450h: Available US F-Sport package or appearance package
-450h: New hybrid powertrain
Did I miss anything? I hope Lexus brings their A-game!

-Eric

Tacoma press release: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...+debut+fay.htm

Last edited by ericsan13; 01-14-15 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Found possible engine code
Old 01-14-15, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

eric, all of those are expected... as to the 2GR-FSE, they will likely add one letter to it.
Old 01-14-15, 07:54 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the '16 RX is "unveiled" in April, does that mean a Fall release for sale?
Old 01-14-15, 08:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
If the '16 RX is "unveiled" in April, does that mean a Fall release for sale?
That's what it looks like.
Old 01-14-15, 08:19 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I was searching for the engine code for Tacoma's "all-new" D4S but wasn't able to find it yesterday. I am highly looking forward to a new engine with all the goodies!

EDIT: Wiki says it's a 2GR-FSE, which is not a "new" engine...does this mean we're stuck with another generation of aging Toyota engine?

Here's the speculation I've gathered so far:
-Geneva auto show (Mar 5) - 4RX teasers
-NY Auto show (Apr 3) - 4RX unveiling
Here's what I think the 4RX needs to be a slam dunk:
-Weight loss
-New engine with D4S with atkinson/otto switching
-Panoramic sunroof
-Color HUD
-i-AFS - swiveling, tilting headlamps
-CarPlay!
-Electronic parking brake
-360 camera
-450h: Available US F-Sport package or appearance package
-450h: New hybrid powertrain
Did I miss anything? I hope Lexus brings their A-game!

-Eric

Tacoma press release: http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...+debut+fay.htm

Yeah... Toyota combined a bunch of old (some ancient) technologies into this new engine:
  1. There is the old engine block (2GR).
  2. There is a VVT-iE (been around a few years) valvetrain that combines the high-expansion Atkinson cycle (that has been around longer than the first Prius) for efficiency and low fuel consumption at low RPMs, with the Otto cycle (that has been around since Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler made the first automobile) for power at higher RPMs.
  3. There is the D4S combined port and direct fuel injection system that has been around for about a decade now, which gives both added power AND lower fuel consumption.
  4. There may be also the offset crankshaft for lower drag, for more efficiency.
  5. Did I miss any other ancient technologies?
So yeah, Toyota combined these all of these old technologies into a so-called NEW engine. It does not matter that no other auto manufacturer, not even Mercedes-Benz or BMW or Audi are using this combination of technologies. The Germans have the world's newest engines.
Old 01-15-15, 02:47 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than Turbo, the Germans have not brought a single innovation with regards to drivetrain, be it petrol or diesel ICE, EE, HYB or FC.
Old 01-15-15, 02:49 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Disappointed.

Lexus' presentation is done and the only car they showed was the GS F

I suppose we'll have to wait now for Geneva or NY.
GS F and RC F GT3. I guess this event was an all-in for the F marque.

When are we going to see the new RX, mid cycle update for the GS and the new engine choices (IS200t, GS200t, GS300h, RX300h?)

This article is worth mentioning: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/01/1...-stories-2015/
Old 01-15-15, 05:09 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's an interesting speculative list,

Old 01-15-15, 03:33 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX to debut in New York, go on sale later this year

According to a recent report, Lexus will introduce the 2016 RX at the New York Auto Show.
Nothing is official but Edmunds is reporting the redesigned crossover will arrive at dealerships later this year and continue to be based on the same platform that underpins the Toyota Camry.

That's not much to go on but previous spy photos have shown the crossover will have an evolutionary design with a prominent spindle grille that is flanked by sweptback headlights. The model will also have a dual exhaust system and sportier bodywork that echoes the entry-level NX.

Specifications remain a mystery but the model could feature a familiar 3.5-liter V6 engine that develops approximately 270 bhp (201 kW). However, the six-speed automatic transmission could be replaced by a new eight-speed gearbox.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501158...ale-later-this
Old 01-15-15, 04:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Specifications remain a mystery but the model could feature a familiar 3.5-liter V6 engine that develops approximately 270 bhp (201 kW). However, the six-speed automatic transmission could be replaced by a new eight-speed gearbox.
Sorry 4RX but you need to reach AT LEAST 300hp now. NX at 235hp is too close to 270hp. Not to mention competition from X5, ML (GLE), MKX and SRX all putting out over 300hp.
Old 01-15-15, 04:10 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
eric, all of those are expected... as to the 2GR-FSE, they will likely add one letter to it.
Originally Posted by Sulu
Yeah... Toyota combined a bunch of old (some ancient) technologies into this new engine:
  1. There is a VVT-iE (been around a few years) valvetrain that combines the high-expansion Atkinson cycle (that has been around longer than the first Prius) for efficiency and low fuel consumption at low RPMs, with the Otto cycle (that has been around since Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler made the first automobile) for power at higher RPMs.
  2. There is the D4S combined port and direct fuel injection system that has been around for about a decade now, which gives both added power AND lower fuel consumption.
  3. Did I miss any other ancient technologies?
My engine speculation is that we're looking at a 2GR block in the US:

RX350: 2GR-FSE with VVT-iW and D4S
RX450h: 2GR-FXE with VVT-iE or VVT-i and possibly D4S
  • VVT-iW will be borrowed from the NX200t 8AR-FTS and will enable otto/atkinson cycle in the 350.
  • VVT-iE - the iE may be new to the 450h and will be atkinson only as it will be fuel economy focused. NX300h 2AR-FXE only has VVT-i.
  • S may be new to the 350 and will introduce the swirl intake as done in the NX200t. New Tacoma 2GR-FSE has the S. NX300h does not have an S.
  • SE could also mean D-4 Gasoline direct injection and represent D4-S
  • Hybrid powertrain improvements borrowed from 4th Generation Prius via better (li-ion?) batteries and denser motors

So it seems like some new engine technology for the 350, while the already advanced 450h will primarily benefit from hybrid powertrain improvements. Does not sound like "all-new" engines to me at all, but still a good step forward.

Is anyone as excited as I am?

Last edited by ericsan13; 01-15-15 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Edit: added SE

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)