RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-15, 01:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The MAG X render seems to be confusing the RX with recent Nissan's. I don't think they'd do the same rear "floating roof" D-Pillar effect as the new Murano and upcoming Maxima

dunno if it is true or not, but Yaris and Verso have special models with floating roof in Europe, Estima had it back in 2006, Mirai has floating hood and roof and C-HR concept from 3 months ago also has floating roof as well as Me.We concept from 2013.

It is definitely a possibility.
Old 01-01-15, 02:51 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
I'm talking about model years. There is no such thing as a 1998 RX or 1989 ES....search all you want there was and never will be a 1998 RX or 1989 ES...
Model years are irrelevant in some cases, especially when sales for the RX took up over 9 months of 1998. One needs to specify when referring to model years, as years listed like that give the impression of a full time period.

Well, in the US that may be true (no 1989 ES, 1998 RX), but in other territories, US-style model years are irrelevant. Especially in the case of the RX. Look for a 1998 Lexus RX300 in the UK/Europe/NZ/AUS and you will find one. Just as you'll find a 1997 Toyota Harrier in Japan, yet it came out December 25, 1997. Lexus did it right with the LX450 (Jan. 1996).

People have a tendency to wrongly assume a model year is the exact calendar year sales began for a particular model, which is highly misleading and inaccurate in the US.

Originally Posted by spwolf
so lazy, isnt it?
Yes it certainly is and I am tired of it, as one has to really take things with a grain of salt regarding 3rd party Lexus speculation. Outside of CL, people are quite lazy at times when studying future Lexus prospects and swallow just anything (ie LF-C2/"RC-C" cancellations). One rolls their eyes at some of the worst speculation, that is quite off-base and being pumped out by "professionals".

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
What are they basing these renders on? They seem to conflict with a lot of Lexus' newer design cues (i.e. separated DRL). Are the two top left (front end and side/C-pillar) images also renders or leaked images?
I have no idea, but they are disappointing anyway. Still more realistic than the nonsense that talented Theophilus Chin came up with. If he is not sure about something, leave it alone for reputation's sake. I subscribe to that philosophy, which is partly why I will not provide a 5LS rendering anymore.

Originally Posted by pbm317
The MAG X render seems to be confusing the RX with recent Nissan's. I don't think they'd do the same rear "floating roof" D-Pillar effect as the new Murano and upcoming Maxima

Possibly, but I even hate it honestly. I am praying it does not look like that for my sister's sake or it's another 3RX (US) for her. I know Lexus will deliver, as renders are always worse than production Lexus designs.

Those in Nagoya likely didn't even have the opportunity to study/research Nissan's D-Pillar effect, considering when the 4RX would've been signed-off, so one hopes it isn't coincidentally similar. I also highly doubt, Calty was involved in the 4RX.
Old 01-01-15, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
right, but i just can't see Toyota turning the GX into a CUV. after all, isn't it heavy base on the 4Runner or Land Cruiser Prado?

Yes, I used to think that, too......that, because of its close similarities, the GX was an upmarket 4Runner. But, in fact, according to the actual specs, it is Prado-based, not 4Runner.
Old 01-01-15, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
People have a tendency to wrongly assume a model year is the exact calendar year sales began for a particular model, which is highly misleading and inaccurate in the US.
In the U.S., for a number of reasons (primarily including safety and emissions standards) automotive marketing by model year is strictly regulated as to can specifically be marketed as a 2014, 2015, 2016 model, etc.....

That, of course, is because Federal auto regulations are usually done by calendar year (or by a certain specific date in that year), and actual production on the assembly-lines is whenever the factory actually is ready for production, with the necessary tooling ready to go. So, if a vehicle has to have a required piece of standard equipment on it, the factory will have to meet that calendar-year date, not necessarily the model-year date.

And, as far as model-years go, for decades, new vehicles in the U.S. for the next model year were introduced each fall, usually sometime between September and November. As far as my memory goes (and it goes pretty far back) that tradition lasted until the all-new 1965 Ford Mustang (one of the most successful all-new car launches in history) was introduced in April of 1964. Six years later, the redesigned 2Gen Camaro was introduced in February of 1970 and dubbed a 1970 1/2 model...not a 1971. Since then, it has become more common to introduce all-new or redesigned models outside of the traditional fall time-frame, but the time-period this is allowed in is still tightly-regulated.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-01-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-01-15, 08:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
does the GX already have a 3rd row?

Yes it does.

But the next gen GX will be like the Merc GL.
Old 01-02-15, 09:15 AM
Ayberk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
They only sell hybrid RX in EU ??
No, they also sell the RX350. Maybe not in all European countries but here in Germany they do.
Old 01-02-15, 09:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expected Premieres at 2015 Detroit Auto Show Include New Lexus RX, GS F

The Detroit Auto Show of 2015 is just around the corner (it opens its doors for the press on January 12) and Edmunds made a list of all the vehicles that are set to premiere at the venue.

They say the emphasis this year will be on performance cars and trucks, with the spotlight being shone away from economy-minded motors (the Chevy Volt is still eagerly expected, though).

Aside from models we’re already expecting to see, like the much anticipated 2015 Acura NSX and two BMW M5 rivals in the form of the Cadillac CTS-V and Lexus GS F. The Ford GT replacement is also worth looking out for.

As for trucks, well, the 2016 Nissan Titan and Toyota Tacoma will make their debut too, along with two important new premium SUVS: the redesigned Lexus RX and Audi Q7; concept versions of the next-gen Honda Pilot and a VW crossover should also be present.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/exp...roit-auto.html
Old 01-03-15, 07:18 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Other sources?

Hey Everyone, Im new to forums but have a spot in the garage saved for the RX, either the 2016 or the 2015. Ive been following the news on the 2016 at the Detroit auto show, every article references Edmunds as the source for this and the only article I could find on Edmunds was http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...rformance.html here.

It has a brief blurb but no sources...

There will be an assortment of new luxury and family-focused crossovers, including the redesigned 2016 Audi Q7 and redesigned Lexus RX. Also slated are concept versions of the next-generation Honda Pilot and a new five-passenger crossover from Volkswagen.

Are there any other sources confirming if this is really true?
Old 01-03-15, 08:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayberk
No, they also sell the RX350. Maybe not in all European countries but here in Germany they do.
Thanks , I know it's mostly hybrids but not exclusively, thanks for the info ......
Old 01-03-15, 08:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Thanks , I know it's mostly hybrids but not exclusively, thanks for the info ......
mostly russia and ukraine, and very few EU countries... They barely sell any in Germany I bet.

Worst part of this unveil is that we quite possibly might get concept version without any actual info on engines, etc... and then introduce more info in next few months.
Old 01-03-15, 09:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume this is going to be a concept, if true. LF-Rh? LF-RX?
Old 01-03-15, 04:46 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why hasn't Lexus announced a teaser or made a big deal out of it? This is their #1 model for crying out loud!

That's why I thought the rumors of 2 Lexus models at Detroit meant the GS-F and mid-cycle refresh GS.
Old 01-03-15, 05:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mordecai
Why hasn't Lexus announced a teaser or made a big deal out of it? This is their #1 model for crying out loud!

That's why I thought the rumors of 2 Lexus models at Detroit meant the GS-F and mid-cycle refresh GS.
teaser will be likely on the show :-)

(as in concept and not production)
Old 01-03-15, 05:37 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai

A. They are so confident that people will take it in any shape or form, that there is absolutely no need for teasers.

B. its still not finished lol
Old 01-06-15, 10:19 AM
zema
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spy shots: http://www.autoweek.nl/nieuws/31353/...camoufleerd-op

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)