Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A Toyota/Lexus product finally stranded a family member

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default A Toyota/Lexus product finally stranded a family member

Sad to report the news, this is the first time in over 25 years of owning Lexus or Toyota products that one of them broke down and left a member of my family stranded.

My sister was traveling from Cleveland Ohio to Ottawa Ontario on Boxing Day when her AC compressor in her 2010 Lexus IS250 AWD seized thus causing the serpantime belt to snap which led to overheating all within one minute and thus stranding her on the side of the highway.

This happened in Kingston Ontario about 2 hrs from her destination.

She then towed it $450 to the Greater Toronto Area. I let her stay at my apartment I rent in Toronto when I visit the area weekly.

The damage according to the Lexus dealer is: seized AC compressor, failed water pump, broken belt, damaged tensioner.

The car has 51,000 miles but it almost 4.5 years old and is out of warranty.

Lexus is paying the water pump, belts and tensioner while my sister is on the hook for $2700 for the AC compressor repair.

Parts will arrive within 5 days from California.

I love Lexus and I love Toyota, this is the first time ever one the vehicles in my family has ever left us stranded.

I think we have a total of 2,000,000 miles in Toyota or Lexus vehicles over the years.

Thought I would share a sad story. ...
Old 12-27-14, 01:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sad to hear about it. I have never heard of ac compressor seize up. It has always been the water pump.
Old 12-27-14, 02:29 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Thanks for sharing. In a similar 25 years of Toyota/Lexus ownership within my family, never a single issue besides the odd squeak or rattle repair.

Your sister's unfortunate situation is a reminder that no matter how close to perfect a machine is designed and built, it's still a machine which carries risks of breaking down. Thankfully, Toyota Motor Corp is still best in the world in this area and hopefully this experience does not deter your sister from getting into a next Toyota/Lexus product in the future. I'm glad Lexus helped with some of the costs which does not surprise me.
Old 12-27-14, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice to have some of the work/parts 'Good Willed'!

Lexus is not perfect, but it's one of the closest things you can get to it. Usually a good bet, JD Power and consumers would agree.
Old 12-27-14, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry that you and your sister had to go through that. I hope it is repaired to your satisfaction.

I'll share one thing that may (?) help prevent that from happening again in the future. A/C compressors have to be used, or run periodically, to keep them lubricated and minimizing the chances of a seizure or failure. (I've done a couple of threads here in CAR CHAT on this very subject). In years past, when most auto A/C systems were manually-operated, there was often a tip in the Owners' Manual about running the A/C compressor at least 5-10 minutes a week, to keep it lubed and running smoothly, even in cold weather. With the ability to add warm air to what comes out of A/C vents (a feature that most vehicles have had for decades), one does not have to put up with an Arctic draft coming out the vents when the A/C compressor is in use. Added to that, of course, is the fact that most modern defog/defrost systems depend on the compressor for a source of dry air to absorb the moisture on the glass, though with manual systems you sometimes have to manually add warm air to it to keep the compressor from chilling the glass too much.

Anyhow, the main point is to make sure that the compressor is run at least a few minutes each week, however it is set up in your car.....automatic or manual mode, including defog/defrost if applicable. Since you live in Ontario, an area with generally long cold winters, unless you use the defrost fairly often, the compressor might not run very much between, say, October and April. In any future vehicle you own (or in the IS after it is repaired), make sure that the compressor runs a few minutes each week, even if it is just blowing some air through the cabin (you can ad heat, of course, through the heater-temperature control). Your Corolla, being an inexpensive compact, may have a simpler, manual A/C system that will especially benefit from this. That will minimize, though not necessarily prevent, the chances of something like that from happening again.

Here's a good web-site on the subject....though they only recommend five minutes a month.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...sp#maintenance

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-27-14 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-27-14, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Sad to hear about it. I have never heard of ac compressor seize up.
It's possible, if it is not used much during cooler months to keep it lubed (see my reply, just above).
Old 12-27-14, 09:59 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry that you and your sister had to go through that. I hope it is repaired to your satisfaction.

I'll share one thing that may (?) help prevent that from happening again in the future. A/C compressors have to be used, or run periodically, to keep them lubricated and minimizing the chances of a seizure or failure. (I've done a couple of threads here in CAR CHAT on this very subject). In years past, when most auto A/C systems were manually-operated, there was often a tip in the Owners' Manual about running the A/C compressor at least 5-10 minutes a week, to keep it lubed and running smoothly, even in cold weather. With the ability to add warm air to what comes out of A/C vents (a feature that most vehicles have had for decades), one does not have to put up with an Arctic draft coming out the vents when the A/C compressor is in use. Added to that, of course, is the fact that most modern defog/defrost systems depend on the compressor for a source of dry air to absorb the moisture on the glass, though with manual systems you sometimes have to manually add warm air to it to keep the compressor from chilling the glass too much.

Anyhow, the main point is to make sure that the compressor is run at least a few minutes each week, however it is set up in your car.....automatic or manual mode, including defog/defrost if applicable. Since you live in Ontario, an area with generally long cold winters, unless you use the defrost fairly often, the compressor might not run very much between, say, October and April. In any future vehicle you own (or in the IS after it is repaired), make sure that the compressor runs a few minutes each week, even if it is just blowing some air through the cabin (you can ad heat, of course, through the heater-temperature control). Your Corolla, being an inexpensive compact, may have a simpler, manual A/C system that will especially benefit from this. That will minimize, though not necessarily prevent, the chances of something like that from happening again.

Here's a good web-site on the subject....though they only recommend five minutes a month.

http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/r...sp#maintenance

Mike: Thanks for the suggestion, but I believe that there is no need to suggest to an Ontarion (or most other Canadians for that matter, or Minnesotans, I would presume) that they run their defrosters (and the A/C compressor) on a regular basis in the winter. If we park outside in the winter, and especially if there is frost or snow on the windows when we come out in the morning, the first thing we do is turn on the ignition, set airflow mode to defrost, set the fan speed and temperature to the highest, and only then do we start to scrape the windshield; it starts to warm the car and the windshield, to make our scraping just a little bit easier. This is our morning ritual, like that first coffee (or tea) in the morning.

BTW, defrosters on Canadian Toyotas have been connected to the A/C compressor for 10+ years now, so turning on defrost mode or merely aiming some air to the registers at the base of the windshield automatically turns on the air conditioning to provide dry air for defrost (and the air conditioning light does not even turn on if the compressor turned on automatically with the defroster). On my 2007 Camry and 2010 Corolla with manual climate control, merely turning the airflow to foot and defrost, or only defrost, would turn on the air conditioner also, and the recirculation mode would also be disabled to prevent damp air inside the car from being blown on the windshield (and possibly freezing, first thing on a cold morning).

LexsCTJill: Sorry to hear about the problem with your sister's IS 250. She just had bad luck. The reason most of the participants on this forum have stuck with Toyota or Lexus for 10, 20, 30 years (we have had Toyotas in our family for 30 years now) is because they have been extremely reliable cars. I lived in Ottawa for 5 years and during those winters when other cars would fail to start, I could always rely on my 1987 Corolla to start each and every morning without fail. If I was not able to rely on the weather, I could always rely on my Toyota to get me through the weather.
Old 12-28-14, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Bummer!

Its happened to me/family twice. First time was my wife's 04 Prius. The hybrid water pump failed and left her stranded on the side of the road when it was about 6 years old, 70k miles. Had to be towed to the dealer. To make matters worse she was on her way home from having dropped our dog off to be boarded so we could travel because my Dad had just passed away. Bad timing. Second was my old 2003 ES, the alternator went bad and it wouldn't start or jump outside my Aunt (who bought it)'s apartment. But...it was 9 years old and 165k miles.
Old 12-28-14, 06:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

LexusCTJill - sorry to hear. only 51K mi. is disappointing to be sure. impressive the dealer is paying for water pump, belts, and tensioner if they didn't have to. still $450 for the tow + $2700 for the compressor repair and at least 5 days without a car is a big financial dent and inconvenience.

although 51K is not much mileage, was her car reasonably maintained during that time?

i've never heard of an ac compressor going out on a car that new or even close.
Old 12-28-14, 07:23 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Sucks, a rare occurence but still sucks to have it happen to you.
Old 12-28-14, 09:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I would definitely recommend joining AAA. It saves you when you do need to be towed for something like this or have a flat or run out of gas after the Lexus roadside is expired. Actually the one time I ever used Lexus roadside to fix a flat...they just sent AAA!

The discount alone always pays for my membership every year.
Old 12-29-14, 06:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

damn, $2700 for a compressor??

it's $630 here for the part... http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2010.html

surely the labor can't be $2100

kinda similar story here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a-fortune.html

Last edited by bagwell; 12-29-14 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-29-14, 08:53 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
damn, $2700 for a compressor??

it's $630 here for the part... http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2010.html

surely the labor can't be $2100

similar is story here...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...a-fortune.html
I think a big difference is that my sisters car broke down and was damaged while the example you gave was something that was not working. Also, my sister confirmed that the clutch for the AC compressor was damaged as well. Not sure there was even a clutch involved.
Old 12-29-14, 08:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice to have some of the work/parts 'Good Willed'!

Lexus is not perfect, but it's one of the closest things you can get to it. Usually a good bet, JD Power and consumers would agree.
Water pump isn't good will--it's covered under the powertrain warranty--had mine replaced a few years ago in the same fashion. Wonder why the AC Compressor isn't too?
Old 12-29-14, 10:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Water pump isn't good will--it's covered under the powertrain warranty--had mine replaced a few years ago in the same fashion. Wonder why the AC Compressor isn't too?
I don't think AC compressor counts. I tried to find out online but no luck.

Quick Reply: A Toyota/Lexus product finally stranded a family member