Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LS FCEV - the future for the LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-14, 09:44 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Lexus didn't change the industry in terms of hybrids at all. Toyota did with the Prius.
Lexus was the first luxury maker to offer a hybrid model. Now they sell 100k+ hybrids a year and now every luxury manufacturer offers hybrids. If that is not "changing the industry" then we will just have to disagree on reality.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's if you consider the CT a luxury car.
I requested one as a loaner once - honestly not sure the interior quality is much below the 3IS. I actually quite liked the CT, much to the bemusement of the dealership staff who assumed I would hate it based on my personal vehicle ownership choices.

Ironic to be on this topic seeing as Model S interior quality is embarrassing for a 100k+ car.
Old 12-28-14, 10:09 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Tesla is hated because it challenges so many norms in the auto and energy industry. For the energy sector it's downright scary because it removes them from the equation, you are no longer a slave to the gas pump. Hydrogen keeps you a slave to the pump, just a different kind of fuel.

You think a Tesla charging station is a restriction? Hydrogen has it beat so badly it's not even funny, with a Tesla you can drive around the country for the most part a FCV forget it. It costs $1 million+ to build a hydrogen station and about $25,000 for an electric.
Sorry I worded that so badly.
"Restricted" supercharging locations is not what I meant.
I meant "limited" supercharging locations.
But then this is only a short term limitation; in the long term, there can be many supercharging locations.

However the big problems for the aluminium chassis Tesla S include problems like the underpan battery compartment taking up 100 mm of vertical cabin room, and there are other major problems like the Tesla being well overweight at over 2,100 kg compared to an equivalent GS350 at only 1,650 kg, and the effects on the chassis with this degree of excess weight will be quite marked...
Old 12-28-14, 11:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
If 1 series, Mercedes CLA, and the stripped down versions of 3 and C, etc., in Europe are , why not ?
they're not luxury cars either, just because they have a 3 pointed star or roundel on them.
Old 12-28-14, 11:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
and there are other major problems like the Tesla being well overweight at over 2,100 kg compared to an equivalent GS350 at only 1,650 kg, and the effects on the chassis with this degree of excess weight will be quite marked...
you keep bringing this up about the weight, but with the tesla just about all the weight is in the 'floor' - very low, which actually improves handling, not diminishes it. also let's not forget that despite the weight, the tesla s is VERY fast.

the tesla s is not a great value proposition though, the interior design/quality is not great, and obviously tesla is only selling a TINY number of vehicles so it's still in the 'novelty' phase of the market. tesla may well fail, but they've got some serious bucks behind them. i'm glad they're challenging conventions anyway, and hope they get to more affordable and practical models. maybe the roof should be all solar cells, and they should have a wireless charging pad to drive over (i think that's already out there).
Old 12-28-14, 11:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

you keep bringing this up about the weight, but with the tesla just about all the weight is in the 'floor' - very low, which actually improves handling, not diminishes it. also let's not forget that despite the weight, the tesla s is VERY fast.

the tesla s is not a great value proposition though, the interior design/quality is not great, and obviously tesla is only selling a TINY number of vehicles so it's still in the 'novelty' phase of the market. tesla may well fail, but they've got some serious bucks behind them. i'm glad they're challenging conventions anyway, and hope they get to more affordable and practical models. maybe the roof should be all solar cells, and they should have a wireless charging pad to drive over (i think that's already out there).
True, the weight is under the floor pan, so this lowers the center of gravity to minimize the body roll, thus improving handling.
However the excess weight of over 2,100 kg in metric terms, despite the use of an aluminium chassis, will only cause "roadholding" to deteriorate severely, because according to the law of physics, centripetal force equals mass by the velocity "squared", divided by the radius of curvature.
Thus, as the mass increases, the lateral velocity decreases nit just a little, but severely.

Comparing a 2,100+ kg Tesla S' handling to a 1,650 kg GS, is like comparing a 1,650 kg GS to a 1,250 kg Mazda MX-5 Miata.
Weight is the bane of motoring, so that's why Formula 1 cars, and the Lexus LFA etc use carbon fiber chassis - to reduce weight.
No way the 2,100 kg Tesla S can grip like an ordinary car...
Old 12-28-14, 11:45 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

One thing I must say about the Tesla S - it is a darn brilliant first effort - most companies go broke on their first attempt; Tesla is very likely here to stay...
Old 12-29-14, 05:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LSh was not an industry leader in terms of innovation or anything. It was ridiculously priced and slower than its V8 brother. It was revolutionary for Lexus, not the Industry. The RX hybrid did change the industry and showed it how a luxury hybrid should be made. Tesla has had more of an impact than the LSh. May it rest in peace and fade into obscurity.
Old 12-29-14, 10:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
The LSh was not an industry leader in terms of innovation or anything. It was ridiculously priced and slower than its V8 brother. It was revolutionary for Lexus, not the Industry. The RX hybrid did change the industry and showed it how a luxury hybrid should be made. Tesla has had more of an impact than the LSh. May it rest in peace and fade into obscurity.
Slower than LS460L by 0.1 sec. only for 0-60mph, but faster @ freeway passing speed etc. .....

I agree though, it's not worth the big price premium, that's why I bought the LS460L exec.package instead. Could have bought the 600hL non-exec.version for around $10K more, but will lose close to C$30K worth in options ......
Old 12-29-14, 11:14 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

that's if you consider the CT a luxury car.
Originally Posted by gengar
Lexus was the first luxury maker to offer a hybrid model. Now they sell 100k+ hybrids a year and now every luxury manufacturer offers hybrids. If that is not "changing the industry" then we will just have to disagree on reality.

I requested one as a loaner once - honestly not sure the interior quality is much below the 3IS. I actually quite liked the CT, much to the bemusement of the dealership staff who assumed I would hate it based on my personal vehicle ownership choices.
Very much a big yes that the CT is a luxury 4 door hatchback. It is sold as a Lexus CT 200h not Toyota CT 200h. I could go on and on about the luxury features my CT has but won't.

Regarding Lexus hybrids, Lexus is the monstrous king of hybrids and could also lead into luxury hydrogen models. Lexus has a big luxury hybrid portfolio worldwide:

CT 200h
HS 250h
IS 300h
ES 300h
GS 300h
GS 450h
RC 300h
RX 450h
LS 600h/600h L
Old 12-29-14, 02:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trexus
Very much a big yes that the CT is a luxury 4 door hatchback. It is sold as a Lexus CT 200h not Toyota CT 200h. I could go on and on about the luxury features my CT has but won't.
ok, can you get leather seats?
according to lexus.com adaptive cruise control is listed but says unavailable?
can you get blind spot monitoring?
can you get an adaptive suspension?
led headlamps are $1265 but standard on a corolla.

respectfully, these are some of the 'no's that to me make the CT a nice, premium and uniquely hybrid hatchback, but not a luxury car.
Old 12-29-14, 04:43 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The entry level cars of each brand, CT, CLS, 1 series, A4, are not luxury. They are considered "near-luxury" models. The ES is considered near-luxury also. The real luxury level sedans begin at the GS, 5, E, A6 level of vehicles.
Old 12-29-14, 08:12 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

respectfully, these are some of the 'no's that to me make the CT a nice, premium and uniquely hybrid hatchback, but not a luxury car.
The obvious one, no standard power seats

Yup CT carries a premium badge but its not a luxury car by any means. Mazda 3 has a 7' screen standard and yet CT does not.

But for its the sexiest hatchback on the market.
Old 12-29-14, 10:45 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe I am fortunate but my luxury hatchback CT has real leather with heated seats, illuminated door sills, navigation, PCS, radar cruise control, LED lowbeam headlamps with LED daytime running strip so yeah my CT is luxurious...

Last edited by Trexus; 12-29-14 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 02:54 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not clever to judge whether a car is luxury or not by its standard equipment. What about standard Porsche which comes with less than a standard Toyota Avensis?