Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

are IS200T and RC200T really coming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 09:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I have tested the Benz C300 2.0 Turbo, the 3 Series in 2.0 Turbo, and the NX200t.
The Benz 2.0 Turbo is the best of the lot, because it is much smoother and quieter, and a very linear torque curve, especially for a turbo.
The BM 2.0 Turbo fails only because it can be caught out with turbo lag, and a peakier torque curve.

I am sad to report that the Lexus 2.0 Turbo is the most "raucous" and "rowdy" of the three by far!
With the Lexus 2.0T, power and torque isn't a problem at all, but the refinement is really well well well below the refinement of the average four cylinder engine from Benz, Beamer and Audi.
Even Toyota's & Mazda's 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, and Honda's 2.4L engine is smoother.

Some research shows that Lexus 2.0 turbo has a squared bore stroke ratio, but no balance shafts, and this block is shared with the Toyota family, but the head is unique.
http://www.enginelabs.com/news/new-l...kinson-cycles/
The lack of balance shafts is possibly to blame for the 2 liter turbo's raucous and rowdy behaviour.

I heard that the 2.5 V6 will be phased out by the end of 2015.
I have a '14 328ix, and have no issues with turbo lag at all. The car is much quicker than my 2nd Gen IS250 was.
Old 04-12-15, 10:14 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The new Lexus 2.0T has been getting very favorable reviews thus far in the NX. No one has said it's not refined or makes a lot of racket.
Old 04-12-15, 02:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

The Toyota AR Series engines actually does have twin balance shafts, and it is used in 2.5 liter capacity in the Camry etc!
Really disappointing the raucousness and rowdiness.

One other possibility is that this engine has been "flogged" to death, such that it is crass? In other words, they haven't limited the revs in the first few thousand miles, or they have started the engine and full throttled it immediately, before the oil is given a chance to circulate the engine properly etc. Or they could have driven it very hard, but not changed the oil with enough frequency etc. There are many possibilities for rough driving.

As far as journalist reports saying that it is smooth and quiet - we must treat that with a grain of salt, because many journalists know little about motor cars, and in the old days, they would say my 2002 C Class with a 2.6L 90 degree V6 was smooth and quiet etc, but nothing could be further from the truth; my 2002 C Class 2.6 V6 had poor low down torque, and it is very rough and loud to rev - just that many of these journos know little about cars.

I will give the NX200t a second chance, so I will test another example of a NX200t from another dealership, and we'll see how it goes for refinement...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-12-15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-12-15, 02:52 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other possibility is that this engine has been "flogged" to death, such that it is crass? In other words, they haven't limited the revs in the first few thousand miles, or they have started the engine and full throttled it immediately, before the oil is given a chance to circulate the engine properly etc. .
Sounds like my cars, I have never done a proper break in and I have bought a couple of demo cars that I know people floor from the second they left the parking lot. I have never ever had a single issue related to that and I would also be really dissapointed if a engine is that crappy made. I still see some of my old cars around town and they seem to work just fine.

Besides that, the NX is far, far away from beeing a car that some younger guy and his friends want to test drive and do burnouts with.
Old 04-12-15, 02:56 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

what a tease. i thought we finally got some concrete news on IS200T when i saw this thread resurrected from the dead.
Old 04-12-15, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

The Toyota AR Series engines actually does have twin balance shafts, and it is used in 2.5 liter capacity in the Camry etc!
Really disappointing the raucousness and rowdiness.

One other possibility is that this engine has been "flogged" to death, such that it is crass? In other words, they haven't limited the revs in the first few thousand miles, or they have started the engine and full throttled it immediately, before the oil is given a chance to circulate the engine properly etc. Or they could have driven it very hard, but not changed the oil with enough frequency etc. There are many possibilities for rough driving.

As far as journalist reports saying that it is smooth and quiet - we must treat that with a grain of salt, because many journalists know little about motor cars, and in the old days, they would say my 2002 C Class with a 2.6L 90 degree V6 was smooth and quiet etc, but nothing could be further from the truth; my 2002 C Class 2.6 V6 had poor low down torque, and it is very rough and loud to rev - just that many of these journos know little about cars.

I will give the NX200t a second chance, so I will test another example of a NX200t from another dealership, and we'll see how it goes for refinement...
as I said before, it is likely due to car tested in - SUV, is less refined than sedans.
Just like Camry is a likely a lot more refined than Rav4, despite them having same engine.

Nothing crazy like broken car, thats really unlikely.

Its also interesting that it didnt feel much less powerful since loaded NX is something like 500lbs heavier than those sedans.
Old 04-12-15, 09:56 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

any bets on the IS/RC200T gonna have a 6 speed auto or 8 speed? my bet goes to 8 speed, at least i hope so.
Old 04-12-15, 10:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
any bets on the IS/RC200T gonna have a 6 speed auto or 8 speed? my bet goes to 8 speed, at least i hope so.
Well, if the NX200t is anything to go by, the NX200t has a 6 speed auto, so there's a good chance the IS200t will have a 6 speed auto too.

An RX350 3.5 V6 is a bit louder than a Camry 3.5 V6, so your IS200t will only be a little more insulated than an NX200t, if that is anything to go by - the NX200t I drove was awfully crass & rowdy compared with my 2010 GS350; I was shocked - I expected more being a Lexus.
Old 04-13-15, 08:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, if the NX200t is anything to go by, the NX200t has a 6 speed auto, so there's a good chance the IS200t will have a 6 speed auto too.

An RX350 3.5 V6 is a bit louder than a Camry 3.5 V6, so your IS200t will only be a little more insulated than an NX200t, if that is anything to go by - the NX200t I drove was awfully crass & rowdy compared with my 2010 GS350; I was shocked - I expected more being a Lexus.
yes, but IS should have nicer insulation than Camry and NX should have less than RX. So yes, you should see large difference between IS and NX in overall noises.

Try seeing the difference between Camry and Rav4 or ES300h and NX300h, there should be quite a difference... to me difference between Rav4 and Avensis was as if there were two different engines (while they were the same).