Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another German guy leaves for Hyundai

Old 12-22-14, 07:22 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another German guy leaves for Hyundai

I'm usually over in the 2GS forum but this is stunning news. Remember when Peter Schreyer left Audi for Hyundai/Kia in 06? Here's the latest:

"In a stunning move, BMW M VP of Engineering Albert Biermann leaves the M Performance Division for a similar job at Hyundai. Biermann will be in charge of developing performance models and improve ride and handling within the performance cars at a research center.

As executive vice president, Biermann will become the South Korean automakers’ second-highest foreign executive after design chief Peter Schreyer. “We will have him in charge of developing high-performing vehicles and leading [research efforts on] performance, safety, durability, noise oscillation and system development,” Hyundai said in a statement released Monday in Seoul
."

I've always said that Asian cars were missing that certain oomph factor. But here, you can gradually see a move by those manufacturers to capture the German car essence by simply buying its expert knowledge.

I know one thing. Kia's and Hyundais emerged as interesting vehicles in recent times. Nice to look at and nice to drive, and that's not a coincidence.
Old 12-22-14, 07:26 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I can see a Hyundai Genesis Dinan M Sport in people's futures.
With Hamann wheels.
Old 12-22-14, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Wow.......
Old 12-22-14, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, the world is finally starting to see nicely styled performance vehicles with decent reliabiity. And the Asian models are building street cred. About time.

In 20 years, Lexus, Hyundai and Kia may command price premiums over the Germans That is, unless the German fanboys are so locked into the brand they can't see that there are much better cars available.
Old 12-23-14, 12:21 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I wouldn't have high (if any) expectations from this. What did de Nysschen ever do for Infiniti?
Old 12-23-14, 12:48 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

A bit of a different situation. Hyundai/Kia has proven they don't know how to properly set up suspensions and this is a GREAT steal. Also, see Peter Schreyer as an example of someone brought over to let their expertise shine.

EDIT: Also Nysschen wasn't at Infiniti long enough to even see any of the fruits of his efforts hit the market. The only big thing he really did that you can really point at during his short tenure is send the Q60 coupe design proposal back in for a redesign. That was a wise idea as you can see the market is shifting towards differentiated coupes, a la 4-series and A5.

Last edited by TangoRed; 12-23-14 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

hyundai has been poaching japanese and german engineers for the past 15 years... all the korean companies do.
Old 12-23-14, 02:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Where BMW has M and MSport already established, Biermann now gets to make his mark and create something new. Hyundai is all to happy to let him use their resources at his disposal
Old 12-23-14, 02:07 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
A bit of a different situation. Hyundai/Kia has proven they don't know how to properly set up suspensions and this is a GREAT steal. Also, see Peter Schreyer as an example of someone brought over to let their expertise shine.

EDIT: Also Nysschen wasn't at Infiniti long enough to even see any of the fruits of his efforts hit the market. The only big thing he really did that you can really point at during his short tenure is send the Q60 coupe design proposal back in for a redesign. That was a wise idea as you can see the market is shifting towards differentiated coupes, a la 4-series and A5.
The Genesis proves that Hyundai knows how to properly setup suspensions.
Old 12-23-14, 02:19 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
The Genesis proves that Hyundai knows how to properly setup suspensions.
Lotus helped them with the Genesis- that talent didn't come in house like it should.
Old 12-23-14, 02:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

u want to beat the Germans? Hire the Germans
Old 12-23-14, 02:43 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's my point - the mere fact that de Nysschen went to Infiniti meant virtually no tangible benefits for the company or its enthusiasts. The better argument re: Biermann is that he is an engineer with racing background and extensive experience in car engineering and that's what Hyundai is hiring him for, and so hopefully they will give room to do his work.

Again, though, wait for results before getting excited. With no support from corporate higher-ups, even enthusiast-oriented engineers like Biermann will get nowhere. Just look at Lexus - even with engineers capable of making great cars via skunk works / pet projects like the IS-F and LFA, what has come since or is even in the pipeline? Nothing.
Old 12-23-14, 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
That's my point - the mere fact that de Nysschen went to Infiniti meant virtually no tangible benefits for the company or its enthusiasts. The better argument re: Biermann is that he is an engineer with racing background and extensive experience in car engineering and that's what Hyundai is hiring him for, and so hopefully they will give room to do his work.

Again, though, wait for results before getting excited. With no support from corporate higher-ups, even enthusiast-oriented engineers like Biermann will get nowhere. Just look at Lexus - even with engineers capable of making great cars via skunk works / pet projects like the IS-F and LFA, what has come since or is even in the pipeline? Nothing.
Further developed F-Sport and full fledged F models
Old 12-23-14, 03:16 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Further developed F-Sport and full fledged F models
The GS-F is the only addition and while I suppose it is 'in the pipeline', it's been rumored forever and ultimately it's still only playing catchup with the Germans. Plus, the low production volume of the RC-F is a farce, so if they do the same thing with the GS-F...

I do agree the 3IS F-Sport is really good, but I never think of those as real performance (just like I think M Sport is stupid from a branding perspective.) I mean, if that's all Biermann does at Hyundai, well, good luck with that.

Meanwhile, BMW and MB took huge steps forward with the i8 and GT. I think Lexus had a lot of chances to capitalize here and is failing to do so, and my point re: the OP is that without backing from corporate, even the best engineers won't be able to make much impact.

Last edited by gengar; 12-23-14 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-23-14, 04:10 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by gengar
The GS-F is the only addition and while I suppose it is 'in the pipeline', it's been rumored forever and ultimately it's still only playing catchup with the Germans. Plus, the low production volume of the RC-F is a farce, so if they do the same thing with the GS-F...

I do agree the 3IS F-Sport is really good, but I never think of those as real performance (just like I think M Sport is stupid from a branding perspective.) I mean, if that's all Biermann does at Hyundai, well, good luck with that.

Meanwhile, BMW and MB took huge steps forward with the i8 and GT. I think Lexus had a lot of chances to capitalize here and is failing to do so, and my point re: the OP is that without backing from corporate, even the best engineers won't be able to make much impact.
Understood. I think it could always be better, though F-Sport has improved from its beginnings of being simply an appearance package, though I'd like to see Lexus position F-Sport more like Audi S and Cadillac VSport, then having RS and V reign supreme. RC F and likely GS F in a month, hopefully IS F is simply on hiatus. Another LFA project like Code-X would be great. Another reason for slower development other than crossing every 't' and dotting every 'i' is Lexus upgraded the rest of the line-up which took awhile and perhaps hampers efforts for the aforementioned, not as focused as they could be. I like Lexus, Cadillac and Jaguar's latest efforts though against the BMW, Benz, Audi and Porsche

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another German guy leaves for Hyundai