Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went minivan shopping the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 11:57 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Sedona looks pretty good, I just wouldn't beable to wrap my head around driving a kia lol
Old 04-06-15, 12:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Pangoo
The Sedona looks pretty good, I just wouldn't beable to wrap my head around driving a kia lol
Anything other than a minivan I agree. But...the minivan sucks anyways LOL
Old 04-06-15, 12:51 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also shopping for a mini Van and so far leaning more towards Odyssey. Sienna SE is nice but I had a 2011 when it first came out so don't feel like getting an almost same van again.

Have you check the Sedona lease? I think Kia lease program won't be as good as Honda.
Old 04-06-15, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I am also shopping for a mini Van and so far leaning more towards Odyssey. Sienna SE is nice but I had a 2011 when it first came out so don't feel like getting an almost same van again.

Have you check the Sedona lease? I think Kia lease program won't be as good as Honda.
Not yet, I looked at the Sedona at the car show, but we're going to go and check one out this afternoon with the gear and all.

Actually the Sienna has a better lease than the Odyssey. They have the lowest money factor I have ever seen on the Sienna, .00001. Residual looks to be 55% on the Sienna with 15k, confirming that for the Limited.

Odyssey was .00046 MF and 57% residual

The Sedona looks to be similar, same MF, .00001 and the residual looks to be 52%, $1,000 rebate which Toyota doesn't have.

The plus for the Sedona is the technology we're accustomed to in the Jeep, it has everything, radar cruise, PCS, cooled front seats, around view camera, etc etc and the Sienna by comparison is pretty spartan. You can get adaptive cruise and PCS, but its really a special order deal, and with that its $5k more than the Sedona.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-06-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 01:11 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Thought I would throw out my two cents. We had a 2012 Odyssey (Touring, not touring elite), which we traded for a 2014 Acura MDX Advance. The Odyssey did have crappy materials, lots of road harshness made its way into the cabin, and it was very loud. It was nice a big though, and the remote opening sliding doors were great when you had to put in car seats. But we never used the third row. So we were suffering through having a car we weren't excited to own just because of the large cargo area.....which we also never really filled with anything bigger than a double stroller.

However, the transition to the MDX was easier because my kids are 10, 7 and 4....old enough to know that when they open their doors they have to be careful not to bang them into the cars parked next to us. Even my 4 year old pays attention to this. The MDX is a big step up in refinement and quality compared to the Odyssey. And the rear cargo area in the MDX is plenty big for the Labrador retriever, a stroller, a couple of small suitcases, etc. We also supplemented the cargo carrying capacity by adding a trailer hitch and cargo tray. We got a waterproof bag that is 20 cubic feet. However, I will say that it is nothing compared to a Lexus in terms of ride quality and interior materials. Even the MDX still has that hint of road noise/harshness/vibration over uneven surfaces that the Odyssey had...maybe it's a Honda thing?

Overall we love the MDX. My wife has said she will never go back to a minivan.

Had the Lexus GX gotten better gas mileage, I would have opted for that. Sometimes I think I should have gotten it anyway.
Old 04-06-15, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just got back from the Kia dealer. The Sedona is far and away the best van on the market. Material quality is very good, the leather seats are approaching Lexus good. Very adaptable inside, as good looking as a minivan can be. Ride and drive is good, its not as quiet as the Jeep, but its quieter than the Sienna.

Just from a tech perspective it was the winner, my wife loves tech and it has all the goodies her Jeep has so she's happy. Only niggle is their third row stowage process isn't as smooth as Honda, and isn't power like the Sienna.

Deal is done, they have to get the color we wanted and that should happen in the next couple days. Excited isn't the right word, because I love the Jeep, but happy to give my family a vehicle that will make their travel easier...and that I don't completely hate.

Going to lease it, so we'll see how it does. 54% residual, .00001 money factor.
Old 04-06-15, 04:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Congrats bud on your decision! Make sure show us some pictures like when you got the Jeep

So what's the monthly payment came out to be?
Old 04-06-15, 05:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Congrats bud on your decision! Make sure show us some pictures like when you got the Jeep

So what's the monthly payment came out to be?
It's like $390 a month! Good deal, $2k in incentives. $150 cheaper a month than the Jeep too.
Old 04-06-15, 05:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Wow very good, I might go check it out as well.
Old 04-06-15, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Just got back from the Kia dealer. The Sedona is far and away the best van on the market. Material quality is very good, the leather seats are approaching Lexus good. Very adaptable inside, as good looking as a minivan can be. Ride and drive is good, its not as quiet as the Jeep, but its quieter than the Sienna.

Just from a tech perspective it was the winner, my wife loves tech and it has all the goodies her Jeep has so she's happy. Only niggle is their third row stowage process isn't as smooth as Honda, and isn't power like the Sienna.

Deal is done, they have to get the color we wanted and that should happen in the next couple days. Excited isn't the right word, because I love the Jeep, but happy to give my family a vehicle that will make their travel easier...and that I don't completely hate.

Going to lease it, so we'll see how it does. 54% residual, .00001 money factor.
Congratulations.

I haven't driven the new Sedona yet, but it's interesting that you say it is quieter then the Sienna. (I'll take you at your word for it). The Sienna, of course, is Camry-based, and most of the Toyota and Lexus vehicles done off the Camry platform have a long reputation for refinement and quiet operation.

Now, for that big new sedan.................
Old 04-06-15, 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I think the best looking fan is unquestionably the Odyssey...
yeah, nice fans.

Old 04-06-15, 06:19 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Too bad you don't get monster Japanese vans like the Toyota Alphard/Veilfire or the Honda Elysion in the US. Those things are like luxury sedans with 7 seats, they're not fun to drive but they're unbeatable when it comes to ferrying lots of people in lots of comfort.
Old 04-06-15, 06:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

congrats SW13GS! figured you'd like the Sedona. not sure what the deal was with the one Sulu saw at a trade show that looked worn out and trashed.

anyway, as you say, you leased it, so it oughta last that long!

your jeep was leased? if bought seems you would be killed in depreciation on the '14.

what color sedona? oh and bet you get lucky tonight.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-06-15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The color is called "Blackberry"

Interior is the light grey/burgundy. Very sharp:

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bet you get lucky tonight.
Old 04-06-15, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interior is the light grey/burgundy. Very sharp:

I see the twins in back will ride in class. Not only individual child seats, but Captain's Chairs around them as well.

Quick Reply: Went minivan shopping the other day...