Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Worst cars of 2014 in Consumer Reports' tests

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
8. Chevrolet Impala

Base MSRP price range: $27,060 - $40,660

The Impala has the distinction of being the least expensive car on our list. Base price is just around $27,000, and, with a bunch of options, the car tops out near $40,000. The interior is roomy, comfortable, and quiet. The most surprising thing about the Impala is how enjoyable it is to drive. The available 3.6-liter V6 is punchy. Handling is very responsive, and the steering feel is more like a German car than an old-school Detroit cruiser. It even rides like a luxury sedan, feeling cushy yet controlled. The full-featured cabin stays very quiet, with a sumptuous backseat and a huge trunk. First-year reliability for the redesigned Impala has been average for the V6 (not so much for the four-cylinder model). The V6 is the one we like most, anyway. And we really like this car.
While I have respect for all the top ten models on this list, they are definitely NOT kidding about the new Impala....especially for the price. One can appreciate how excellent the new one is even more when they sample it and the old rental-grade one back-to-back. You are talking light-years difference....specially with the V6 which, IMO, should be standard in this car....one of its very few faults.
Old 12-23-14, 06:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I have respect for all the top ten models on this list, they are definitely NOT kidding about the new Impala....especially for the price. One can appreciate how excellent the new one is even more when they sample it and the old rental-grade one back-to-back. You are talking light-years difference....specially with the V6 which, IMO, should be standard in this car....one of its very few faults.
IMO the new Impala is the best thing out there if you want a big, cushy cruiser and don't want to spend 60-80k on an Audi A7, Benz E-Class, Lexus LS, etc.

The design is IMO quietly handsome. While its not brash and over the top like a Dodge Charger, its one of those cars, the more you look at it, the more you appreciate it and notice some more subtle details. Personally I love those flared fenders and that character line on the rear 3/4.

About the only thing I'd change is those stupid gold bow-ties, I'm sure somebody is making a blacked out emblem, one circled in red like some 80's/90's chevys were done, something other than that damn gold.
Old 12-23-14, 06:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
IMO the new Impala is the best thing out there if you want a big, cushy cruiser and don't want to spend 60-80k on an Audi A7, Benz E-Class, Lexus LS, etc.

The design is IMO quietly handsome. While its not brash and over the top like a Dodge Charger, its one of those cars, the more you look at it, the more you appreciate it and notice some more subtle details. Personally I love those flared fenders and that character line on the rear 3/4.

About the only thing I'd change is those stupid gold bow-ties, I'm sure somebody is making a blacked out emblem, one circled in red like some 80's/90's chevys were done, something other than that damn gold.
Very nice car but the interior to me is not so great.
Faux wood is cheap looking as is the steering wheel.
Also the two tone interiors dash cover piece looks weird.
Old 12-23-14, 10:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Very nice car but the interior to me is not so great.
Faux wood is cheap looking as is the steering wheel.
Also the two tone interiors dash cover piece looks weird.

I agree on your points about the new Impala's interior, especially with the two-tone. But driving this car is a gem. I can't remember the last time I was more impressed with the way a chassis was set up for a good ride/handling combination.....maybe the old BMW 335 from a number of years ago. The new 2015 Hyundai Genesis, BTW, is also superbly done in the chassis department, though it now seems to emphasize ride somewhat more than handling.
Old 12-24-14, 01:13 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on your points about the new Impala's interior, especially with the two-tone. But driving this car is a gem. I can't remember the last time I was more impressed with the way a chassis was set up for a good ride/handling combination.....maybe the old BMW 335 from a number of years ago. The new 2015 Hyundai Genesis, BTW, is also superbly done in the chassis department, though it now seems to emphasize ride somewhat more than handling.
Just feel good to see a GM product high up in the list. After the rocky road they had to negotiate, they deserve a dose of their former glory.
Old 12-24-14, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nipponbird
Just feel good to see a GM product high up in the list. After the rocky road they had to negotiate, they deserve a dose of their former glory.
Yes...the buyout and reorganization, quality-wise, made a lot of difference, but not all of their products today are first-rate. They still make what iMO are mistakes. Though the Buick Encore is, admittedly, selling well, I found it rather unimpressive and underpowered. And the Cadillac XTS, though well-trimmed inside, simply, IMO, does not have the driving refinement required of a Cadillac flagship. The company itself realizes it......a replacement is already in the works.
Old 12-24-14, 09:17 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...the buyout and reorganization, quality-wise, made a lot of difference, but not all of their products today are first-rate. They still make what iMO are mistakes. Though the Buick Encore is, admittedly, selling well, I found it rather unimpressive and underpowered. And the Cadillac XTS, though well-trimmed inside, simply, IMO, does not have the driving refinement required of a Cadillac flagship. The company itself realizes it......a replacement is already in the works.
Just always had this soft spot for American cars. When I grew up they were the main players in South Africa and you could have had a schoolyard barney on which is the best: Ford or Chevrolet. The name "Impala" also has a distinct connection with GM's plant in South Africa, because it is a very graceful antelope that roams our countryside in large numbers. The Zulu people here, to this day call a smart car a "mpala-pala".
Old 12-24-14, 03:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really? they're all dirt cheap cars for one thing, but of course CR paints everything with the same brush. the cheap cars don't measure up with the smoothest rides or best of anything - hardly shocking.

it's one more easy press-generating worthless article from CR

the scioniq and smartfortwo ARE terrible though because they're useless and awful unless parking in very tight spaces in a city is one's highest priority.
CR is crap, they pander to the same crowd and write the same crap time and time again.

These cars are all a bunch of basement dwellers. So big deal!