Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Dealership in a Mall?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 10:58 AM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Dealership in a Mall?

This story about Lexus expressing interest in the Tesla model has been making the rounds, and I think it's pretty interesting.

Lexus Sees Lots to Like in Tesla's Sales Method

Personally, I think it could be a great move to bring a couple of vehicles into a non-traditional retail space... Maybe as some kind of Intersect hybrid? A no-pressure environment that could pipe potential customers to the dealership to take things to the next level?
Old 12-18-14, 11:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Consider Lexus the established professional and Tesla the young buck in the slick clothes. According to Green Car Reports, the U.S. marketing chief of Toyota's luxury division, Brian Smith, recently stated that the success of the Model S is one reason why sales of the LS have declined. However, Lexus isn't blind with resentment. It has its eyes open - and focused on Tesla's stores. The company believes the newer brand's direct-sales locations bring in younger buyers and are seen as lower-pressure environments relative to typical dealerships.
Yeah cause it couldn't have anything to do with the age of the 4LS..
Old 12-20-14, 03:23 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you guys seen an actual Tesla store inside a mall? It's actually pretty neat. Caught me off guard when I walked passed one in Pentagon City mall in Va.

I thought it was like a gift shop for Tesla lol But imagine all three walls adorn with all examples of options the car can be fitted with, TV's showing the cars features, the entire set up almost like at an auto show how they would set up their area. What I loved the most was that the had an actual Model S and a body-less Model S.

Of course, you can talk to the representatives at the store in case you are really interested one.
Old 12-20-14, 04:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I like the idea...
Old 12-20-14, 04:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nothing wrong with the idea, allows for more saturation of the market for people in the vicinity ie shopping malls and more locations to experience the brand.

The weirdness I found was in the statements made by Brian Smith
Old 12-20-14, 04:37 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Dealerships don't have big food courts anyway.

I'm cool it being in a mall.
Old 12-20-14, 05:03 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Anything that separates the sales and service functions is OK in my book.
Old 12-20-14, 05:07 PM
kevings03
Rookie

I think it's smart....

how many times a year do you visit a dealership vs the mall. All those mall visits would give people plenty of opportunities to quickly walk in ....sit in a vehicle or two, and keep lexus on their radar.

If I was Lexus, I'd make sure I had a new gs350 f-sport somewhere in there. When people sit in it and see that interior....high odds it would be game over / done deal.
Old 12-20-14, 06:28 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tesla model and the store in UTC mall in San Diego. They even have two cars in the parking garage for test drives. This is the way all cars should be sold. No more of these space sucking dealerships with a hundred models on the lot, just in time delivery right to your home just how you order it.
Old 12-20-14, 06:32 PM
LazarusLng
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to see Tesla succeed. If their battery factory takes off, it will be good for everyone.
Old 12-20-14, 10:10 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Tesla model and the store in UTC mall in San Diego. They even have two cars in the parking garage for test drives. This is the way all cars should be sold. No more of these space sucking dealerships with a hundred models on the lot, just in time delivery right to your home just how you order it.
"Space sucking" .....land sucking, dwarf star light blinding, Soil contaminated lot consuming dealership. There I'm sure more could be added. I drive by them every night and it blows me away the amount of energy they CONSUME when nobody is there. The lots are blasting with lights. (I get it to keep shifty people out and cameras on.) If malls can do as well a job, use less energy and have a better experience then why not.
Old 12-22-14, 05:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not a new idea. When the Danbury (CT) Fair Mall opened in the mid 80s, there was a car dealer with space in the mall. And, did anyone see "The Blues Brothers"? "The new Oldsmobiles are in early this year."
Old 12-22-14, 08:10 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah cause it couldn't have anything to do with the age of the 4LS..
Yup. Thinking the same also....
Old 12-22-14, 08:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Lexus does, it needs to create a very specific and custom experience for the customer.

The L-Select service in Japan would be a great addition in the U.S. to create an ultra-premium service.

Old 12-22-14, 09:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

YUP here in Canada you can't even order a red on red RC F even when that makes absolutely no sense for a C$ 90,000 vehicle

Quick Reply: Lexus Dealership in a Mall?