Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tesla falsifying sales numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with gas prices dropping like a rock, tesla's at even higher risk. i sold my stock recently for a nice upside though.
Even after taxes? Stock earnings are not tax-free like municipal-bond interest.

You won't know exactly how much tax will be on it, of course, until you fill out Schedule D (and Schedule D seems to change somewhat in format each year)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-17-14, 06:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

MM, Tesla had a great run up.

Who gives a sheet about the tax man when stuff doubles up or better.

What could you have gotten on a bond in the same period (maybe 4% and then add the tax benefit so it nets to 5% plus or minus annually)?

If you can live with the risk, I prefer the stock game (I used be be more of a bond person when I was younger). I tend to participate reverse of most folks.

Now that I have a high income from work and my apartment buildings, I take a lot more risk in the market and it has worked out.
Old 12-17-14, 07:05 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
goodies :-)

Stock is down 31% since September 2014 and its going down more.

Tesla is not going to go out of business, it has a good product... but the stock is insanely overvalued based on statements and promises that are not going to happen.
When it gets low, that's the time to buy.
Old 12-17-14, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
MM, Tesla had a great run up.

Who gives a sheet about the tax man when stuff doubles up or better.

What could you have gotten on a bond in the same period (maybe 4% and then add the tax benefit so it nets to 5% plus or minus annually)?

If you can live with the risk, I prefer the stock game (I used be be more of a bond person when I was younger). I tend to participate reverse of most folks.

Now that I have a high income from work and my apartment buildings, I take a lot more risk in the market and it has worked out.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you that stocks, being more volatile, can either earn or lose a great deal. It's just that Uncle Sam has his hand in the pie with those earnings, that''s all. You may say never mind the tax man, but a lot of people get up tight about having to pay capital-gains taxes....even if it is only 20 or 25%.

I agree that bit probably unloaded his shares at a good time........ low gas prices and a still-lousy economy where a lot of people can't afford expensive cars, plus the still-lack of an electric-charging infrastructure for cars in a lot of places doesn't bode well in the near-future for high-priced electric vehicles.
Old 12-17-14, 07:23 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry to get aggressive MM.

My folks were completely risk averse, did not participate in the markets and depended on SS for their retirement. Pretty much every mistake in the book.

My mom would say, oh you have to pay some of your gains in taxes and she hated that. I replied the more I make, the more I pay (in taxes), the happier I am.
Old 12-17-14, 10:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
My mom would say, oh you have to pay some of your gains in taxes and she hated that. I replied the more I make, the more I pay (in taxes), the happier I am.
exactly. it's counter-intuitive, and no-one likes paying taxes but if you're paying a crapload of taxes you're obviously making a much bigger crapload of money. i'd rather keep 2/3rd of a crapload than make a few beans and pay no taxes.
Old 12-17-14, 10:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Even after taxes? Stock earnings are not tax-free like municipal-bond interest.
i feel confident that my return after taxes on tesla will crush any bond you have.

You won't know exactly how much tax will be on it, of course, until you fill out Schedule D (and Schedule D seems to change somewhat in format each year)
that's what an accountant is for. i've got better things to do. accountants aren't cheap, but i can earn their fee in much less time and stress than it would take me to do my own taxes.