Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Couple close to death after night in car

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 07:05 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

If you unlock the door from the inside without the key fob, the worst that would happen is the alarm would go off...

Either way, this couple has proven that they are unable to safely operate their vehicle. I'd want them retested before they're back out on the road
Old 12-16-14, 07:08 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I can't believe how critical some posters have been in this thread. Apparently you have not been around senior citizens. I hope none of you grow too old to save you the embarrassment.
I do admittedly lack compassion for seniors at times (definitely been trying to improve on that) but this is just a bit much.

Originally Posted by Allen K
If you unlock the door from the inside without the key fob, the worst that would happen is the alarm would go off...

Either way, this couple has proven that they are unable to safely operate their vehicle. I'd want them retested before they're back out on the road
I must admit, this does make me wonder for their own safety while operating a motor vehicle as well as everyone else on the road. The lack of critical thinking here could be dangerous.
Old 12-16-14, 09:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sorry--they didn't have the key fob and were both inside the car at the same time. How exactly did the car become locked in the first place? Wouldn't they have to press the door lock button inside the car? This story has to be fake.
Old 12-16-14, 09:56 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't know how things work in New Zealand, but in the U.S. a law suit would probably already be in the works.

I'm glad they are OK, but this story seems too weird.
Old 12-16-14, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I can't believe how critical some posters have been in this thread. Apparently you have not been around senior citizens. I hope none of you grow too old to save you the embarrassment.
Good post .......arguably the best one in the thread so far.
Old 12-16-14, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know how things work in New Zealand, but in the U.S. a law suit would probably already be in the works.
In the American legal system, there are guidelines defining frivolous suits, and judges do have have the authority to dismiss them, though it varies somewhat from state to state.
Old 12-16-14, 10:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good post .......arguably the best one in the thread so far.
Part of the reason I don't ever want to live to a ripe old age.

Seriously, if there's anyone that I would expect to manually check the door locks, it's an older person, as opposed to a younger person, who may not have ever actually had a car without power locks.

I get it--when you get up there in years, it may be hard to adjust to new technologies. But when you also lose all common sense by mysteriously locking yourself in your car without the key fob, and then not knowing how to undo it, you can't just throw up your hands and blame it on being "old". No one is being critical of these folks for being old and not up to speed on new technology. A few months ago, I parked next to a Toyota Corolla with index cards taped to the steering wheel and the driver's door panel that each said "LIGHTS". I get it--this person may have been forgetful and left their lights on a few times. Maybe this person was elderly--I'm not sure. But they aren't blaming this new fangled technology called an "on/off" switch, and making sure everyone is aware of it by running to the "press" to tell everyone to be aware of a potential inability of turning your lights off.

Last edited by tex2670; 12-16-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-16-14, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
This will sum it up
bravo
Old 12-16-14, 11:59 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'm thinking he meant that when you hit unlock, you had about 30 seconds to open a door, otherwise it re-locked. But again, these people were INSIDE the car.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
electronic door lock/unlock button
manual door lock/unlock switch

how could they not get out? Child locks are only on the rear doors usually, not on the front doors
If all they had to do was hit the unlock button, or manually move the button to get out and didn't do that because they assumed only the fob could unlock the doors..well. Then these people should never be behind the wheel again.

Child safety lock are only for the back doors on every car I've seen. Otherwise you could easily get locked in the car.
Old 12-16-14, 05:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
electronic door lock/unlock button
manual door lock/unlock switch

how could they not get out? Child locks are only on the rear doors usually, not on the front doors
well they DID try with crowbar

:-)
Old 12-16-14, 06:38 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well they DID try with crowbar :-)
Right?? Lol really if you "NEEDED" out and were provided a crowbar, I couldn't foresee any issue not busting the window. I am just having a hard time buying how stupid some people really are..
Old 12-16-14, 07:03 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I get it--when you get up there in years, it may be hard to adjust to new technologies. But when you also lose all common sense by mysteriously locking yourself in your car without the key fob, and then not knowing how to undo it, you can't just throw up your hands and blame it on being "old".

You -- and most of you -- are making assumptions based upon your above-average aptitude with new car tech. And it is NOT just with senior citizens.

The new car with keyless entry, "smart" keys and push-button start is a world away from the century-old technology that is still in most cars, the ignition switch with a key. It is quite a technological leap, not to mention a leap of faith, to go from the ignition key that we are all used to, to the magical push button.

My wife wanted to drive my new ES to see her mother and her sisters soon after we picked it up. I said no because I know that my wife is not that comfortable with technology. When finally she drove it, I had to carefully explain how to open the door, how to start and stop the ignition, etc. And when we were ready to drive off, she had a problem with the foot-operated parking brake, even though she had driven my old Camry, which also had a foot brake. She still does not know how to open the door, even if I am standing next to the car with the smart key in my pocket. She has not asked again to drive the car, even though she was the one pushing for us to get a Lexus.

There are people -- regardless of age (not just senior citizens) -- who have problems adapting quickly to technologies that they have not seen before. They are no more moronic than those of us here who are comfortable with new car technology. By calling them morons is insulting a large group of people.

It is because of people like these that these new technologies have improved since they first came out, and have become more "idiot"-proof. So we should thank them, not insult them.
Old 12-16-14, 07:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I spend a LOT of time around people this age group and over. This is way over the top. Theres not being familiar with different technologies and then theres not having any common sense. My Mom will be 68 next month. She would never be locked in a car. She can operate a telephone, a computer, an iPhone, an iPad. She's taken the time to familiarize herself with new technologies to stay current.
Old 12-16-14, 08:50 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So... Mazda didn't bother equipping the front doors with auto-unlocks that are becoming more and more common - You know, the ones where if you pull the front door release, even if the door is locked, the door will unlock and open (except for MINI and potentially a few other manufacturers where it's a two-step process --> pull once to unlock, pull again to open).

This article presents two glaring issues with vehicle ownership today

1. The sales rep usually don't bother how to go over the car's details, as long as the owner knows how to drive away (although mine was fantastic and he showed me the car and gave me a tour of the dealership service area at delivery time)

2. People don't RTFM. I don't care of you're 20 or 60 years old. Read it at least once. This society of instant gratification (I want to be able to use this device immediately with no learning curve. If I can't use it correctly the first time, it has a defect) has gotten us lazy, and sometimes, careless.
Old 12-16-14, 10:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they probably used keyfob to unlock doors from the inside previously? lol.
yeah i'm guessing they left the fob outside the car, somehow locked it and figured they couldn't get out without the fob.

this darwin-award candidate couple is not indicative of senior citizes in general, whom i'm aroud often, being in central florida.

i've helped a 90 yr old woman switch from a PC to an iPad (to avoid getting virues and to be able to move around), and i know tons of people in 70s and 80s comfortable with iphones, samsungs, and all kinds of tech.

the couple in this article is apparently just stupid. hey it happens. so you don't need to hope we all die young, kthxbye.

Quick Reply: Couple close to death after night in car