Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Couple close to death after night in car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For older persons who don't want to screw around with this kind of electronics (or who would have trouble with it) , autos should be designed so that they can have the electronic entry/exit/locking systems deactivated before the car is delivered, and the doors operated by a simple fold-out key on the fob. GM, even with electronic-locking, uses a VW-style fold-out key on a number of their designs.....with a conventional mechanical lock built into the drivers' door. Unfortunately, the auto industry, as a whole, seems to ignore the over-65 crowd more and more each year.
the key fob and electronics are irrelevant aren't they? there's always a mechanical way or door button to simply unlock a door or all the doors. what am i missing? (that's what they said )
Old 12-15-14, 06:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
They sure make a good couple....
The old adage two wrongs make a right is apparently not correct in this instance
Old 12-15-14, 06:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

looks like door look is just on the door handle like usual.

Old 12-15-14, 07:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

This will sum it up

Old 12-15-14, 07:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the key fob and electronics are irrelevant aren't they? there's always a mechanical way or door button to simply unlock a door or all the doors. what am i missing? (that's what they said )
In most cases, yes, but on some cars, the hidden "Kiddie-Switches" disable the inside rear door latches so kids can't open them at all from the inside (even with the door-button up)...only someone outside can let them out. Of course, in the case of this couple, we have to assume they both were in the front seat. My original point, though, was that the simpler the locking system is, the less Grandpa and Grandma (or anyone else) are likely to lock themselves either in or out.

However, bit, I haven't reviewed the latest-generation Mazda3 (the car the couple was trapped in), and, in all fairness, since I'm not familiar with exactly how the electronic door-fob system works in that car, I won't comment any further on it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-14 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 07:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I would imagine without the fob nearby, the locks would lock automatically the instant you tried to unlock them manually. My parents LS400 would do this, as discovered by my little sister. You have to be very quick to open it from what I understand. A car that is twenty years newer would probably include some iteration of this feature.

They still are morons though

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 12-15-14, 08:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

The LS400 had a smart key? If this Mazda has a system where if you try to unlock manually the door is instantly locked, well that's a death trap. What if something goes wrong with the electronics, either the smart key or the lock ECU.
Old 12-15-14, 09:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

There are no kiddie switches on the front doors. These people are just an astonishing level of moron.

Just because a few people (VERY few people) are just too stupid to unlock a door doesn't mean the rest of us should have to deal with the dumbing down of the technology in our vehicles.
Old 12-15-14, 11:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

yo. bring back the crank windows
Old 12-16-14, 03:15 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I can't believe how critical some posters have been in this thread. Apparently you have not been around senior citizens. I hope none of you grow too old to save you the embarrassment.
Old 12-16-14, 04:53 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For older persons who don't want to screw around with this kind of electronics (or who would have trouble with it) , autos should be designed so that they can have the electronic entry/exit/locking systems deactivated before the car is delivered, and the doors operated by a simple fold-out key on the fob. GM, even with electronic-locking, uses a VW-style fold-out key on a number of their designs.....with a conventional mechanical lock built into the drivers' door. Unfortunately, the auto industry, as a whole, seems to ignore the over-65 crowd more and more each year.
C'mon man. These people were INSIDE the car. You can't blame age and unfamiliarity with new-fangled space-aged electronics for a failure to even "try" to open the doors.
Old 12-16-14, 04:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

In most cases, yes, but on some cars, the hidden "Kiddie-Switches" disable the inside rear door latches so kids can't open them at all from the inside (even with the door-button up)...only someone outside can let them out. Of course, in the case of this couple, we have to assume they both were in the front seat. My original point, though, was that the simpler the locking system is, the less Grandpa and Grandma (or anyone else) are likely to lock themselves either in or out.

However, bit, I haven't reviewed the latest-generation Mazda3 (the car the couple was trapped in), and, in all fairness, since I'm not familiar with exactly how the electronic door-fob system works in that car, I won't comment any further on it.
Child safety locks have been in cars since the 1980s. How far back with technology should we go to appease people who refuse to learn something new?
Old 12-16-14, 04:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The LS400 had a smart key? If this Mazda has a system where if you try to unlock manually the door is instantly locked, well that's a death trap. What if something goes wrong with the electronics, either the smart key or the lock ECU.
I'm thinking he meant that when you hit unlock, you had about 30 seconds to open a door, otherwise it re-locked. But again, these people were INSIDE the car.
Old 12-16-14, 06:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yep, it works exactly as any other car.

they probably used keyfob to unlock doors from the inside previously? lol.
Old 12-16-14, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

electronic door lock/unlock button
manual door lock/unlock switch

how could they not get out? Child locks are only on the rear doors usually, not on the front doors

Quick Reply: Couple close to death after night in car