Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 02:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Only reasonable review is from pickuptrucks.. it has most interesting real world information and they tested 2015 recently.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/08...rst-drive.html

A quiet ride has never been a Tacoma strength. We've always been disappointed by how noisy certain Tacoma packages can be at speed — that was certainly true during our 2015 Midsize Challenge. Thankfully, with the addition of more sound-deadening material in the floor and roof liner, and extra lamination on all windows, sound intrusion has been cut significantly. Although we didn't have our sound-measuring equipment with us, it wouldn't surprise us if the new Tacoma is even quieter than the well-insulated GMC Canyon (the current segment leader when it comes to quiet).
As for actually driving, we found the throttle response impressive, especially when in Sport mode and manually shifting through the gears. With 3.91:1 axle gears and a 1st gear (automatic) of 3.60:1, the new engine does an amazing job of jumping off the line. The traction control feels much smarter as the engine winds up quickly, and the transmission shifts quickly through the gears. With the exception of a slight dead spot around 2,500 rpm in certain conditions, the power ramp-up is smooth and fluid all the way up to 6,000 rpms. Make no mistake, even if this new engine has 1 less pound-feet of torque, it feels much stronger than the bigger 4.0-liter V-6 it's replacing.

We didn't get a chance to track many fuel economy miles — we were having too much fun carving in and out of traffic on two-lane mountain highways — but we consistently saw our average hover around the 20 mpg mark during our excursions through the Seattle countryside.
This is a more advanced version of the Lexus GX and LX advanced four-wheel-drive systems; Toyota said there is nothing equal to it in the rest of its lineup. The integration of the engine power, computer controls, and traction and speed settings had us feeling unstoppable.

To demonstrate how well the system works, Toyota buried a Tacoma TRD Off Road crew cab long bed in soft sand, then shifted the pickup into Crawl Control and let the system — on the slowest setting — figure out how to move each wheel, inch by inch, to extract the truck from the sand. It was like watching an autonomous vehicle problem-solve its way out of a perilous situation, essentially escaping from what normally would have permanently stopped any other vehicle.
As pronounced as the exterior design changes are, the inside of the new Tacoma is much more dramatic. Toyota has done as good a job at separating the different trim levels as we've ever seen with this midsize player. It's almost like it took its half-ton strategy and moved it down market.
Much more here:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2015/08...rst-drive.html
Old 09-26-15, 04:52 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ditch the leftover tacos, and eat up the miles in the all-new Toyota Tacoma.
Old 09-28-15, 07:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I saw one of the new ones in the grocery store parking lot this weekend. Definitely still a Tacoma. No mistaking it for anything else. Mixed feelings on the design, though I'm sure it'll settle in over time. I look forward to seeing more of them on the road.
Old 09-30-15, 06:57 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

toyota engines are woefully behind the times... they need to stop resting on their laurels because the competition is way ahead in that battle.
Old 09-30-15, 07:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
toyota engines are woefully behind the times... they need to stop resting on their laurels because the competition is way ahead in that battle.
I agree and so is the frame. But the Tacoma will sell better than the GM trucks.
Old 09-30-15, 03:26 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree and so is the frame. But the Tacoma will sell better than the GM trucks.
It will also perform off road better than any truck sold by domestic companies including F-150 Raptor because of compact size, off road tech and suspension design, at least until Wrangler-based truck is out.

8 speed offering could be great, but at least, we're not stuck with 5 speed.
Old 09-30-15, 03:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

whats wrong with new engine? Probably the best part of Tacoma.
Old 09-30-15, 04:40 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
People read the main engine code and think it's same engine as previous 2/3 generations. They don't realize that the letters after code indicates significant changes. Toyota should do like others and just make new code when they implement new features.
Old 09-30-15, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
It will also perform off road better than any truck sold by domestic companies including F-150 Raptor because of compact size, off road tech and suspension design, at least until Wrangler-based truck is out.
I'd be careful before making the claim that the Tacoma will outdo an F-150 Raptor off-road. A Raptor has some pretty extreme underpinnings for a production truck. If you doubt me, crawl underneath one (there's plenty of space underneath for that) and see for yourself.
Old 09-30-15, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you doubt me, crawl underneath one (there's plenty of space underneath for that) and see for yourself.
I highly doubt you yourself have crawled underneath a Ford Raptor. You don't even take pictures of the cars you test drive, which I find a little odd BTW.
Old 09-30-15, 07:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino

8 speed offering could be great, but at least, we're not stuck with 5 speed.
I think I might agree with you on the off-road credibility compared to the domestics. But the Raptor does have front locking differentials which IMO automatically qualifies a vehicle when they have them.
Old 09-30-15, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I highly doubt you yourself have crawled underneath a Ford Raptor.
You doubt too much.

I did a review of a Raptor several years ago. I did not have a cell-phone camera back then, but, while the truck was on the ground, I DID get as far under the truck as I could to check out the massive underpinnings. (my reviews may not be perfect, but I don't lie about them) With the review, I also posted images of Raptor underpinnings....taken underneath with the truck up on an overhead rack. The Raptor, back then, was a one-of-a kind truck (although Chevy has a sightly less-potent version of the Silverado today competing with it), and I did not think a proper view would suffice without a shot of those underpinnings.

Here are three images, BTW, taken directly from my Raptor review...though not of the exact truck I was with:

(on that part, you were correct)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-15 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-30-15, 07:23 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

I think I might agree with you on the off-road credibility compared to the domestics. But the Raptor does have front locking differentials which IMO automatically qualifies a vehicle when they have them.
That's why I mentioned F-150 Raptor in a separated context. I believe Raptor will do the jump and regular off road just fine, not things you do with Land Cruiser.
Old 10-01-15, 07:29 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Originally Posted by My0gr81
People read the main engine code and think it's same engine as previous 2/3 generations. They don't realize that the letters after code indicates significant changes. Toyota should do like others and just make new code when they implement new features.
it's mainly the fact that the new engine gets the same fuel economy as full sized trucks and is still barely competing. not sure what the advantage of the taco is besides the fact that "its a reliable toyota". this goes for their entire V6 line. and why is the 4 cylinder even being offered? no point, fuel economy wise or power wise.
Old 10-01-15, 08:14 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

and why is the 4 cylinder even being offered? no point, fuel economy wise or power wise.
Lower price point.

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news