Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-15, 09:27 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sOrry, but the Nissan ( although extremely unreliable thanks to Renault), looks 10 times better. The old Tacoma was absolutely hideous, the new one is DEFINATELY an improvement, though. Toyota, u need a BETTER design team. FIRE THEM!!

Old 01-23-15, 06:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks are subjective. The Nissan (Navara?) looks a decade old already to me - no thanks.
Old 01-23-15, 08:52 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agreed 100% with MPLexus301. Looks are subjective. People need to stop getting all worked up when you don't agreed with their POV.

On a different note, I believe the Calty did the styling on the new Tacoma.
Old 02-18-15, 02:28 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota Tacoma Diesel Not Worth it Says Chief Engineer
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-engineer.html
Despite the fact that GM’s new midsize pickup trucks are about to get a diesel engine option, Toyota‘s all-new Tacoma will not.

Speaking during a live chat, Tacoma and Tundra chief engineer Mike Sweers was unequivocal. “We will not be offering a diesel engine,” he said. “We’ve looked at diesels, and diesel is a difficult topic right now because of the new Tier 3 emission regulations.”

Those Tier 3 regulations, set in place by the Environmental Protection Agency, are set to take effect in 2017, further reducing tailpipe emissions and, as a result, making diesel-powered light vehicles harder to pass, not to mention more expensive to build.

Sweers is aware of the obvious advantages of a diesel engine. “Diesel, from a fuel economy standpoint, is about a 30 percent improvement right out of the box,” he said.

However, that’s not enough to offset the negative aspects of diesel engines.

“The downside to diesel is the emissions has to be certified at the same level as a gas engine,” said Sweers. “So the way to do that is you have to put on an after-treatment system.” That system, he claims, would add as much as $3,000 to the cost of a vehicle.

“So if we consider that cost, versus the fuel economy improvement, and the fact that diesel is $1 more per gallon more than gasoline, is there a return on the investment,” asks Sweers rhetorically.

Even if the answer is yes, Sweers wouldn’t bet on diesel tech for the future, pointing to further emissions regulations taking effect in 2019 that could then shelve certain engines. “Can you make that diesel survive? Is it a two-year engine? Is it a four-year engine? That’s the question,” said Sweers. “It’s very difficult to show a return on that investment.”

Instead, Toyota will continue to focus on gasoline engine options for the Tacoma, with a 2.7-liter 4-cylinder as well as a new 3.5-liter V6.
Old 02-18-15, 08:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think there is any demand for a diesel in the Tacoma lineup.
Old 02-18-15, 10:50 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diesel is European thing, and Toyota have Hilux to cover that end.
Old 02-19-15, 06:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awww no diesel taco
Old 02-19-15, 08:42 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think there is any demand for a diesel in the Tacoma lineup.
You'd think incorrectly then. There is a small, but strong-willed group of Tacoma owners/enthusiasts that have been begging for diesels for quite some time. Now, whether they'd actually step up and buy one if there was a $3K - $5K premium on the purchase price over a gas model remains to be seen. Toyota will definitely be watching to see how well received the Colorado/Canyon diesels are when they're launched this year. Nissan has shown a concept diesel Frontier that could launch with its next redesign. Even the half-ton trucks, which have largely stayed away from diesels are now adding them. Ram EcoDiesel so far, and Ford and GM are watching that closely.
Old 06-22-15, 03:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

As estimated before, Tacoma 3.5l V6 is "truck" version, it is going to have 270hp and unknown amount of torque yet.... I would guess torque will be higher and lower down the curve compared to the 2GRFSE engine in Lexus. Due to updated D4S as well as VVT-iE system, it should be much more efficient and faster than before with 4.0l engine.

It is powered by a “segment first” 3.5-litre Atkinson Cycle V6 with 270 hp. The other engine is the base 2.7-litre inline four-cylinder currently available on the Tacoma.
http://www.wheels.ca/news/2016-toyot...ma-sneak-peek/
Old 07-08-15, 09:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So apparently, some Tacomas will have a standard 3 piece bed cover that comes with the truck for CAFE reasons.

Also, no more TRD Pro 4x4 model.
Old 07-08-15, 11:14 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So apparently, some Tacomas will have a standard 3 piece bed cover that comes with the truck for CAFE reasons.

Also, no more TRD Pro 4x4 model.
TRD Pro is likely a lifecycle thing. Toyota is pouring a lot of money into advertising it and getting the sub brand awareness up. I'm sure we'll see it again later on for the Tacoma.

Lots of truck owners have tonneau covers already, so I would be happy to see a good factory integrated tonneau option available. And would be covered by warranty.
Old 07-08-15, 11:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Car and Driver has an article about leaked pricing info:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-to...f-fall-launch/

For the models that do make the cut, prices start at $22,200 for the Access Cab SR 4×2, which is $1235 more than today’s cheapest Tacoma model, though that price now includes a six-speed automatic transmission to go along with the 2.7-liter four-cylinder engine (five- and six-speed manuals are reserved only for 4×4 models). At the top of the range is the $39,375 V6 Limited 4×4. Some 28 other permutations are planned, combining the Taco’s two available cab lengths, short or long bed sizes, four-cylinder or V-6 engines, and two- or four-wheel-drive powertrains. Scroll to the bottom for the full rundown, but note that these are the MSRP prices, presumably not including the destination and delivery charge (currently $885 for 2015 models).
Old 07-08-15, 12:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
TRD Pro is likely a lifecycle thing. Toyota is pouring a lot of money into advertising it and getting the sub brand awareness up. I'm sure we'll see it again later on for the Tacoma.

Lots of truck owners have tonneau covers already, so I would be happy to see a good factory integrated tonneau option available. And would be covered by warranty.
I think the TRD Pro will come back later on, from a sales strategy it is smart to remove it now as those who really want a Tacoma will get one regardless. Then, later on they can offer it to those who have held off or might of been waiting.

As for the rear bed cover, I find it interesting as how it affects CAFE, it seems there may be work arounds from the CAFE rules.
Old 07-08-15, 08:16 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

As for the rear bed cover, I find it interesting as how it affects CAFE, it seems there may be work arounds from the CAFE rules.

It is NOT a work-around. Covering the open truck bed with a cover improves aerodynamics, allowing air to travel smoothly over the rear instead of being trapped in the bed. Opening (or removing) the tailgate, or replacing it with a net (with holes) may help also but not everyone wants to drive around with an empty and open bed.
Old 07-09-15, 06:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had a 2011 Tacoma and am really starting to miss it. Might just have to check these out when my IS350 lease is up.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that, with the full 4 door model I had, you had to get the short bed to get the manual transmission. I always wished I was able to get the longer box on it. I suspect that will be the same with these new ones. Also curious if the top model will be available with the manual. I kind of doubt it.

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news