Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Toyota Tacoma news

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 12:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Any updates? Final engine specs please
More HP than currently.
Old 01-13-15, 01:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Any updates? Final engine specs please
Though not totally verified yet, the new optional 3.5L V6 should have around 300 HP and 280 ft-lbs. of torque.

I'll be at the D.C. Auto Show at the end of next week, and that's one thing I'll check on, if the actual production-figures have been finalized yet....also about the standard rear brakes being discs or drums. Some of the CL members at the Detroit Show may (?) already have that info.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-15 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 01:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm liking the interior and the front grille. The rest of the truck is just OK.
Old 01-13-15, 01:35 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
autoguide.com has published some engine ratings, but it looks like they may have made an educated guess as well.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...owerplant.html
Why the 3.5 and not update the 4Runner 4.0 V6 that is already 270hp and 278lb tq
Old 01-13-15, 01:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though not totally verified yet, the new optional 3.5L V6 should have around 300 HP and 280 ft-lbs. of torque.

I'll be at the D.C. Auto Show at the end of next week, and that's one thing I'll check on, if the actual production-figures have been finalized yet....also about the standard rear brakes being discs or drums. Some of the CL members at the Detroit Show may (?) already have that info.
I highly doubt they're going to have the new Tacoma or any details at the DC auto show if it's next week and automakers generally never share production figures or forecasts.

Rear brakes are definitely drums. Engine and EPA specs likely won't be available until much closer to launch this Fall.
Old 01-13-15, 01:47 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
Why the 3.5 and not update the 4Runner 4.0 V6 that is already 270hp and 278lb tq
The updated 3.5 incorporates new technology not on the 4Runner 4.0, and probably better fuel economy and emissions....
Old 01-13-15, 01:48 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
Same reason as to why they didn't update the 4.0 in the Tacoma but they did in the 4Runner a few years ago.
Old 01-13-15, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
I highly doubt they're going to have the new Tacoma or any details at the DC auto show if it's next week and automakers generally never share production figures or forecasts.

Rear brakes are definitely drums. Engine and EPA specs likely won't be available until much closer to launch this Fall.
There will be no info at the D.C. show. Toyota historically does not announce numbers on a release of a vehicle. They hold the information for a while so they can then use it for another release. Its all part of marketing.
Old 01-13-15, 01:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll agree with you on the drums, at least based on the previously-posted pictures here. I couldn't see any sign of caliper-assemblies in back, either.

As far as the D.C. show goes, it varies quite a bit. I've been going to it since the early 1980s (over 30 years), and sometimes manufacturers have quite a bit of data there.....sometimes virtually nothing at all. I've found that it's hard to predict in advance. But, since the D.C. show closely follows that of Detroit (where a lot of new specs/info IS released), some manufacturers don't need to release it again in D.C.
Old 01-13-15, 02:00 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There will be no info at the D.C. show. Toyota historically does not announce numbers on a release of a vehicle. They hold the information for a while so they can then use it for another release. Its all part of marketing.
I don't think it's necessarily all a part of marketing, as you say. I think there's still plenty of time for them to tune and finalize/optimize numbers before production starts. Squeeze out a few more ponies or MPG.
Old 01-13-15, 04:11 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

It's certainly a marketing game. They all do it. Nobody wants to announce and finalize their numbers only to be shown up a week later by the competition.

RAM recently pulled this when Ford upped the '15 powerstroke to 440/860. They announced their trucks would have a class leading...........865 lb/ft.

Not that you can't later change your numbers. In 2011, that engine was released with 390/735....then the Duramax was released with 393/790....so Ford issued a PCM reflash to raise it to 400/800, lol.
Old 01-13-15, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

RAM recently pulled this when Ford upped the '15 powerstroke to 440/860. They announced their trucks would have a class leading...........865 lb/ft.
Given the F-Series' long-standing position in the marketplace, and with (arguably) the most loyal owner-cadre in the truck market, I don't see where a mere 5 ft-lbs between the Ford and Dodge Cummins diesels will make any significant difference in sales.

Where the Ram HAS been impressive, in the last coupe of years, and where it may actually pull in some former Ford/Chevy owners, is in its amazing new ride/quietness and refinement. Blindfolded, except for the high step and runnng-board getting in and out, you would never know you were in a work truck....it is that smooth and quiet. I've ridden in some so-called "luxury" cars that, overall, weren't as comfortable. Dodge engineers really worked on NVH in this truck....it isn't just hype.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-13-15 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 07:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think it's necessarily all a part of marketing, as you say. I think there's still plenty of time for them to tune and finalize/optimize numbers before production starts. Squeeze out a few more ponies or MPG.
It certainly is part of marketing for Toyota and Lexus. I don't follow other car makers so I am not sure what they do. But Toyota gets more press time and coverage by releasing the information in waves.

1st is usually the launch.
2nd trim levels and power ratings.
3rd is usually the pricing.

Releasing all the information at once ends all the positive exposure and momentum created by the launch.
Old 01-13-15, 07:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
It's certainly a marketing game. They all do it. Nobody wants to announce and finalize their numbers only to be shown up a week later by the competition.

Not that you can't later change your numbers. In 2011, that engine was released with 390/735....then the Duramax was released with 393/790....so Ford issued a PCM reflash to raise it to 400/800, lol.
I remember when the Tundra had a class leading 381 hp and it cleared 400 ft lbs for a few months. It took forever to release those numbers
Old 01-13-15, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
1st is usually the launch.
2nd trim levels and power ratings.
3rd is usually the pricing.
Pricing is usually last for a reason, especially with a company like Toyota that is Japanese-based, and has to deal with the always-fluctuating yen/dollar exchange-rate. If the price is set too early, and the exchange rate changes sharply before the truck goes on sale, the company could make more of either a profit or loss on it than was anticipated.

And that goes not only for brand-new cars, but possibly for residual values as well, Nissan, not long ago, lost a substantial sum of money on lease-deals because their cars depreciated more than expected. Depreciation, of course, was the main factor, but an unfavorable exchange rate didn't help either (Nissan being not only a Japanese-based manufacturer but owned by French giant Renault using the European Euro currency).

Quick Reply: 2016 Toyota Tacoma news