Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So how does rear seat space and the cargo hold compare to a RAV-4? Both are huge in the Rav4, for no bigger than it is on the outside.
As far as carrying tall bulky items in back, the RAV4 seems to have a slight edge in useful cargo area (and maybe rear headroom) due mainly to its less-rakish roofline and more squared-off design. On both the RAV4 and NX, of course, the split-60/40 rear seats fold down to expand the available cargo space.

Keep in mind, though, that useful cargo area is not necessarily the same as the total cubic-foot volume given in specs. Much depends on the actual shape of the area. And if the rear seat-backs are reclined rearward, that also takes up some cargo room.

Also, do the rear seats recline line in a Rav-4?
According to the specs, all RAV4s have a 60/40 manual-recliner feature for the rear seats. NX's have a manual 60/40 feature standard and a power-recliner as an individual option (not part of a package).

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-14 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 08:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So how does rear seat space and the cargo hold compare to a RAV-4? Both are huge in the Rav4, for no bigger than it is on the outside. Also, do the rear seats recline line in a Rav-4?
This is my impression from sitting in an NX last weekend... I was interested in the NX and the RAV4, and always look at first impressions of rear seat space and cargo / trunk space.

I was interested in this current generation RAV4 when it first came out 2 years ago but found the rear seat to be too narrow to seat 3-across comfortably, and the rear doors do not open wide enough either, so that I always felt that my feet were too big climbing in and out. The legroom is fine though.

So I was interested in the rear seat room in the NX and why I asked Hoovey his impressions in this review thread. I like the legroom in the RAV4 and the NX, and while the rear seat in the NX may be somewhat wider than the RAV4, it is still too narrow for 3-across seating; the rear doors do seem to open wider, though, as I had no problem squeezing my feet out.

The RAV4 has a lower rear cargo floor than the NX. The RAV4 has one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) cargo floors of all crossovers. The NX's cargo floor is quite high and I do not know where all the space went. So the cargo area height is probably higher in the RAV4 than the NX (I have never taken a tape measure to the RAV4 nor the NX cargo areas).
Old 12-14-14, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu;

The RAV4 has a lower rear cargo floor than the NX. The RAV4 has one of the lowest (if not THE lowest) cargo floors of all crossovers. The NX's cargo floor is quite high and I do not know where all the space went. So the cargo area height is probably higher in the RAV4 than the NX (I have never taken a tape measure to the RAV4 nor the NX cargo areas).
The difference in cargo-floor heights could (?) also be due to differences in the suspensions/wheels/tire heights and ground clearance between the two. As I mentioned in my view, They do not share exactly the same underpinnings.
Old 12-14-14, 11:27 PM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In my reviews, I try to give a thorough description of the vehicle from bumper to bumper, describe its road manners in typical suburban driving, how it responds to moderately-hard acceleration/handling/braking, and, in general, what it would be like to live with as a daily-driver. My reviews are clearly NOT for those who want the vehicle's maximum-performance figures at the limit...that, of course, is the province of enthusiast-publications.
I think this is why I found your review so informative. Regardless of the model you would be hard pressed to take the car to the limit as daily-driver unless your daily route involves a race track. And someone else mentioned the vehicle you currently drive can influence your expectation. I agree as long as everyone can respect others opinion and express the disagreement in civilized manner, it is all good. I have been on Club Lexus very short time and couple of sections but so far I found posters are in general very respectful of each other.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on the new NX .....especially since this is your first Lexus product. When it arrives, let us know how you like it.....and PM me if you want a small car-warming bottle of SCRATCH-OUT for it. It will take out any minor scratches/stains/scuffs or other problems in the paint.
Thank you. I am officially a Lexus owner now. I posted my impression on the test drive but plan to post another one after driving it a month or so. However, I am afraid mine will not be as informative as yours. You are good at putting down in words of your observation. Me not so much.
Old 12-16-14, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wagnerian

Thank you. I am officially a Lexus owner now. I posted my impression on the test drive but plan to post another one after driving it a month or so. However, I am afraid mine will not be as informative as yours. You are good at putting down in words of your observation. Me not so much.

Some of the best advice on a vehicle, though, comes not just from reviewers, but from those like you who actually own and drive the car each day.