Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 11:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Definitely one of your more balanced and fair assessments MMarshall
Thanks. I usually try to be fair, though I know that not everyone always agrees with my conclusions. Still. since this is primarily a Lexus forum (even in CAR CHAT), I know that a lot of CL members may be sensitive to what reviewers say about their products.

Your initial spec says 280 in torque, but it's 258, you've got it right in the main specs below there.

I think you meant Acura RDX in the lower line, not RLX.
Again, Thanks...good catch. I'll correct those typos. My computer has spell-correct, but that doesn't work on things like car-specs.

did you check to see what level the enhanced engine sound system was set at?
I don't recall my base-model car having one.....it did not have many options. And as JDR76 pointed out, that feature may (?) be restricted to F-Sport models only.

The whole point of NX is to be super stylish and with a more raked profile than a traditional boxy SUV, but overall functionality is still present as I believe you can lay golf bags across the width of the cargo area, which can't be done in a lot of SUVs.
I didn't actually have a set of bags with me, but I agree they would probably fit. Still, there's no denying that the raked roofline impacts on some of the tall-space you'd find in, say, a RAV-4, Highlander, or even a Subaru Forester. But, for even worse room than an NX, check out the Infiniti EX35 (QX50)...that cargo area is absurd.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-14 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 02:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta give credit where it's due, Hoovey. I probably wouldn't have thought to check for a feature like that....though I have a friend who recently had a problem on his push-button-start LaCrosse when one of the two fobs failed. Fortunately, he had a back-up until it was repaired (I think all it needed was a battery)

Yeah, I had a strong hunch that question would come up, since they were both introduced this year.

Tough choice.....and I'm not entirely satisfied with the turbo fours in either one, and feel that both need a small V6 option. Both have nice 6-speed automatics instead of quirky CVTs. Both have the same 6/70 and 4/50 Luxury-Class warranty (so do Buick SUV's, BTW, even though they are only considered semi-luxury). Both are competent and capable. The Ford Escape, which the MKC is based on, is lower-than-average in reliability (per Consumer Reports), which probably won't be the case with the more-reliable RAV-4/NX platform....so the NX will probably win out in the reliability department. But, I don't usually keep a vehicle really long-term, over 100K, so long-term reliability isn't an issue with me. The NX, of course, does have the advantage of Lexus-quality dealer-service, whereas both Ford and Lincoln products are (now) often sold in the same dealerships.

I like the interior of both vehicles, and the NX's NuLuxe seat upholstery is superb (even world-class), though the MKC wins out by having standard wood trim and better space-efficiency inside from the more conservative, squared-off roofline. The MKC also, IMO, has a MUCH better paint-color choice than the NX (especially with the gorgeous dark purple Tahitian Pearl)...and the MKC's push-button transmission shifting is easier to use than the NX's zig-zag lever (though the NX zig-zag is better than on other Lexus products). The NX's ride/handling is also better than the MKC's...but not by a big margin. And I wasn't impressed with the NX's noise isolation....though, to be fair, a less-windy day might have calmed down the wind noise. The NX, of course, trounces the MKC in underhood accessibility. Though the available hardware is probably available in the sister MKZ Hybrid, the MKC lacks a hybrid version...so, obviously, If you want a hybrid, you'd have to choose the NX...but I'm not convinced that right now, most hybrids are worth the extra money.

So...to sum up, personally (by a narrow margin) I'd go with the MKC. For my purposes, I'd be (slightly) happier with it as a daily driver. But there are strong reasons for choosing the NX.
Very objective

And we know which color you'd choose too

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's an option Mike...

Very stylish side mouldings

Needs different wheels
Old 12-11-14, 03:05 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for another great review. I think its a great start but like any first gen vehicle it will have its short comings. The power plant issue is a big one in my eyes .
Old 12-11-14, 05:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks for another great review.
Glad you enjoyed it.

The power plant issue is a big one in my eyes .
The 2.0T fours found in a number of today's vehicles aren't exactly slugs (they deliver a fair amount of torque), but, with the exception of the silky VW/Audi 2.0T, they just don't seem as quiet or refined as most V6s. The problem is that the government fuel-mileage standards are, for the most part, forcing the downsizing of power plants....sometimes even against the public will.
Old 12-12-14, 06:17 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have driven GS250, about same weight as this car, and i wouldnt ever get it... it was way too slow, and felt much slower than what it actually was probably due to refined cabin. This turbo will be both significantly faster and more efficient, maybe little bit less refined but for this weight 2.5l was a no show.
All Toyota engines are excellent in terms of smoothness & refinement, particularly the current GR family of V6. And that 2.5L 4GR-FSE takes the cake in super silky smooth refined harmonics.

I don't even know how they made it so smooth, it's seriously borderline madness. I've seen and experienced many cars of all shapes & sizes and no I-6, V8, I-4 or other V6 comes even close to the silken power of that 4GR-FSE

Last edited by yowps3; 12-12-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-12-14, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
All Toyota engines are excellent in terms of smoothness & refinement,

You say ALL Toyota engines. Have you had a chance to sample the turbo 2.0 in the NX...the one I reviewed in this thread? I wouldn't necessarily call it UN-refined, but, IMO, it does lack some of the smoothness/quietness of other Toyota-sourced power plants (and even its VW/Audi 2.0T competitor), especially at idle.
Old 12-12-14, 07:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Nice review! Too bad I just picked up a cpo 2011 ES.

I wouldn't say ALL Toyota engines are refined. That 1.5L shiatsu chair gone mad in the Tercels were worthy or having 10 grenades shoved into it.
Old 12-12-14, 11:04 AM
Wagnerian
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the detailed and informative review. Very objective review by being honest to your observation. Fortunately I do not find most of the cons you listed cons. Maybe in my case having never owned or driven a Lexus worked to my advantage. Eagerly waiting for my NX delivery. NX fits my needs.
Old 12-12-14, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
Nice review
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

Too bad I just picked up a cpo 2011 ES.
Nothing wrong with that. I've got two friends who, between them and their wives, have three CPO ES350s. All have been nice, reliable, comfy cars.

I wouldn't say ALL Toyota engines are refined. That 1.5L shiatsu chair gone mad in the Tercels were worthy or having 10 grenades shoved into it.

The problem with engine noise in the older Tercels was not necessarily the engine itself, but the fact that they were stuck with 3-speed automatics with a 1:1 top gear ratio and no overdrive. So, at highway speeds, the engine buzzed away at relatively high RPM....usually 3000+. Toyota didn't start putting 4-speed OD automatics on their entry-level cars into until after the Tercel's demise, when the quirky Echo took over. (And, BTW, the Yaris and some lower-line Corollas still use the 4-speed automatic)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-14 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-12-14, 12:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wagnerian
Thank you for the detailed and informative review.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Very objective review by being honest to your observation.

Again, Thanks. I generally write down and report what I actually see and experience.

Fortunately I do not find most of the cons you listed cons.

That's fine. I know that opinions will differ on specific vehicles, especially in a (primarily) Lexus forum like this one, where some members will be sensitive to how others rate their products. I respect those who disagree with my opinions, as long as their comments are civil, courteous, adhere to CL's posting rules (as yours certainly have been) , and don't try to bait someone or attack their integrity.

In my reviews, I try to give a thorough description of the vehicle from bumper to bumper, describe its road manners in typical suburban driving, how it responds to moderately-hard acceleration/handling/braking, and, in general, what it would be like to live with as a daily-driver. My reviews are clearly NOT for those who want the vehicle's maximum-performance figures at the limit...that, of course, is the province of enthusiast-publications.

Also keep in mind that most of my (MINUS) comments and lists are not usually really serious complaints, but, just, IMO, areas where the vehicle could be better-designed or equipped. Most of today's vehicles are reasonably well designed, reasonably well-built, reasonably reliable, though I do find things that I think could be done better....the perfect vehicle, IMO, has yet to be designed.

Eagerly waiting for my NX delivery. NX fits my needs.

Maybe in my case having never owned or driven a Lexus worked to my advantage.

Congratulations on the new NX .....especially since this is your first Lexus product. When it arrives, let us know how you like it.....and PM me if you want a small car-warming bottle of SCRATCH-OUT for it. It will take out any minor scratches/stains/scuffs or other problems in the paint.
Old 12-12-14, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Cadillac......bring on your compact SUV entry.
Old 12-13-14, 05:35 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

mmarshall Top notch review, thank you and I wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.

I haven't driven the NX but have sat in all the seats, played with the electronics and explored the hatch area and under the hood. From what you've written and my own static impressions I agree Lexus has an instant hit on their hands.
Old 12-13-14, 07:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
mmarshall Top notch review, I wish you a happy and healthy holiday season.
Thanks. I'm lookng forward to the D.C. Auto Show next month.

I haven't driven the NX but have sat in all the seats, played with the electronics and explored the hatch area and under the hood. From what you've written and my own static impressions I agree Lexus has an instant hit on their hands.
If you sat in the seats of a non-Leather version, you probably felt how nice that NuLuxe upholstery is.

I agree the that NX should be a good seller, but I think a fair number of those to go look at its latest competition at Lincoln (MKC) will also be taking one home. The MKC seems to be the best new Lincoln product introduced in years, though, of course, it lacks the NX's hybrid option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-14 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 05:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
And we know which color you'd choose too

Yeah...I've always been a s**ker for purple, especially the Amythist shades (it was my old girl friend's favorite automotive color, too). Andrew (Gojirra99) also likes it.

Amythist, IMO, is the ultimate luxury-car color....not black (though the very nice Pearl White comes close) Although some manufacturers have offered it here and there, purple and purplish shades tend to be ignored by the auto industry.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-13-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 05:32 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So how does rear seat space and the cargo hold compare to a RAV-4? Both are huge in the Rav4, for no bigger than it is on the outside. Also, do the rear seats recline line in a Rav-4?

Quick Reply: MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX