Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 06:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX

My Annual 2014 CL Holiday-Review (and by CL-member request).........the all-new 2015 Lexus NX.

http://www.lexus.com/models/NX

IN A NUTSHELL: Lexus (finally) joins the rapidly-growing American market for luxury-grade small SUVs.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Audi Q3, BMW X3 (and possibly some versions of the X1), Mercedes GLK, Lincoln MKC, Infiniti Q50, Acura RDX, GMC Terrain Denali (but ONLY the upmarket Denali version), Land Rover LR2/Evoq, Volvo XC60.

;

;

;

;

;

;

(NX200t)

(image lost)

Sorry, folks.......most of this review accidentally got deleted in May of 2017.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-17 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 09:36 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Very nice. Thanks for your review.

Ed
Old 12-10-14, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review Marshall, and thanks for the shoutouts.

If given the choice between the MKC and NX which would you choose?
Old 12-11-14, 04:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

thanks for the review... i kind of thought you wouldnt like it but its pretty cool that the car is actually comfy.
Old 12-11-14, 05:53 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write-up!

Regarding the small V6, everyone seems to bash the 2.5L 4GR-FSE of the IS250. But as a base model I don't see the issue, acceleration is adequate and actually on the lean side of strong, it's good on the highway and that 2.5L V6 is buttery smooth. In fact it's too smooth to be true!

But I'm surprised the Lexus turbo doesn't top the competitor 4-pots in refinement..

Last edited by yowps3; 12-11-14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice review Marshall, and thanks for the shootouts.
Gotta give credit where it's due, Hoovey. I probably wouldn't have thought to check for a feature like that....though I have a friend who recently had a problem on his push-button-start LaCrosse when one of the two fobs failed. Fortunately, he had a back-up until it was repaired (I think all it needed was a battery)

If given the choice between the MKC and NX which would you choose?
Yeah, I had a strong hunch that question would come up, since they were both introduced this year.

Tough choice.....and I'm not entirely satisfied with the turbo fours in either one, and feel that both need a small V6 option. Both have nice 6-speed automatics instead of quirky CVTs. Both have the same 6/70 and 4/50 Luxury-Class warranty (so do Buick SUV's, BTW, even though they are only considered semi-luxury). Both are competent and capable. The Ford Escape, which the MKC is based on, is lower-than-average in reliability (per Consumer Reports), which probably won't be the case with the more-reliable RAV-4/NX platform....so the NX will probably win out in the reliability department. But, I don't usually keep a vehicle really long-term, over 100K, so long-term reliability isn't an issue with me. The NX, of course, does have the advantage of Lexus-quality dealer-service, whereas both Ford and Lincoln products are (now) often sold in the same dealerships.

I like the interior of both vehicles, and the NX's NuLuxe seat upholstery is superb (even world-class), though the MKC wins out by having standard wood trim and better space-efficiency inside from the more conservative, squared-off roofline. The MKC also, IMO, has a MUCH better paint-color choice than the NX (especially with the gorgeous dark purple Tahitian Pearl)...and the MKC's push-button transmission shifting is easier to use than the NX's zig-zag lever (though the NX zig-zag is better than on other Lexus products). The NX's ride/handling is also better than the MKC's...but not by a big margin. And I wasn't impressed with the NX's noise isolation....though, to be fair, a less-windy day might have calmed down the wind noise. The NX, of course, trounces the MKC in underhood accessibility. Though the available hardware is probably available in the sister MKZ Hybrid, the MKC lacks a hybrid version...so, obviously, If you want a hybrid, you'd have to choose the NX...but I'm not convinced that right now, most hybrids are worth the extra money.

So...to sum up, personally (by a narrow margin) I'd go with the MKC. For my purposes, I'd be (slightly) happier with it as a daily driver. But there are strong reasons for choosing the NX.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-14 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300ES
Very nice. Thanks for your review.
Originally Posted by spwolf
thanks for the review...
Anytime, guys ...but that will (probably) be my last one this year, though I've got some others (maybe) planned in the near future.....Outback and 3-Series.

i kind of thought you wouldnt like it but its pretty cool that the car is actually comfy.
As far as "comfy" is concerned, ride comfort over bumps is good for its size, the seat-padding is generally well-done, and the NuLuxe upholstery is as slick as an old Jaguar. But, due to body-styling, the interior is not as space-efficient as on some rivals, rear seat room is tight, and, in some cases, noise-isolation could be better.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Excellent write-up!
Thanks. Hoovey also brought up a lot of good points in his recent NX review.

Regarding the small V6, everyone seems to bash the 2.5L 4GR-FSE of the IS250. But as a base model I don't see the issue, acceleration is adequate and actually on the lean side of strong, it's good on the highway and that 2.5L V6 is buttery smooth. In fact it's too smooth to be true!
For those who want speed and power, the 2.5L V6 in the IS is probably not the engine for them. But, having driven and reviewed several IS products over the years with that engine, I myself find find no problem with it...I could easily live with it every day. You're spot-on about its refinement. In fact, I wish my Verano had a small V6 in it...it is a superb small semi-luxury car in most other ways. BTW, in my area, the IS250AWD sells like hotcakes, probably outdoing the RWD version.....and the AWD model is even slower due to the extra weight and drag.

But I'm surprised the Lexus turbo doesn't top the competitor 4-pots in refinement..
It's not necessarily a rough-running engine as far as vibrations go, but it lacks the quiet idle and general refinement under load of a number of other, larger Lexus power plants. And, in ECO drive mode, throttle response on the AWD version is rather sluggish...but that's to be expected. NORMAL, and especially SPORT settings, give you noticeably better response.....at the probably expense of gas mileage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-11-14 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-11-14, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Excellent write-up!

i have driven GS250, about same weight as this car, and i wouldnt ever get it... it was way too slow, and felt much slower than what it actually was probably due to refined cabin. This turbo will be both significantly faster and more efficient, maybe little bit less refined but for this weight 2.5l was a no show.
Old 12-11-14, 08:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No body-side moldings for parking-lot protection.
It's an option Mike...

Old 12-11-14, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i have driven GS250, about same weight as this car, and i wouldnt ever get it... it was way too slow, and felt much slower than what it actually was probably due to refined cabin. This turbo will be both significantly faster and more efficient, maybe little bit less refined but for this weight 2.5l was a no show.
You're sure the GS250 (which is not available in the U.S.) weighs the same as a U.S.-spec IS250? The standard RWD IS250, of course, is a little lighter than the AWD version. Or were you comparing it to an NX?
Old 12-11-14, 08:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It's an option Mike...

Yes....I know some automakers (fortunately) are bringing them back as either a factory-option or dealer-installed accessory. Subaru also now offers them on most of its new line-up....and Chevy on some of its line-up. But, IMO, they never should have been deleted as standard equipment in the first place. The argument sometimes comes up that it messes up the clean looks of the body. I disagree...but, of course, I recognize that that is only my own opinion and $.02...and that others may disagree, which is their right.
Old 12-11-14, 08:56 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Turbo in-line four of 235 HP / 280 Ft-lbs. of torque and a six-speed conventional automatic (F-Sport models get paddle-shifters).

Sound insulation (though not bad) could be a little better.

Nice job on the exterior quality, Lexus....except that, for an SUV, I'd prefer something little more traditional, squared-off, and more space-efficient.

Like the MKC, Audi Q3, Acura RLX, and some other upmarket small SUVs, it is based on a similar-sized but less-expensive SUV in its parent corporation, but with extensive interior and exterior changes for a more upmarket feel an drive.
Definitely one of your more balanced and fair assessments MMarshall

Your initial spec says 280 in torque, but it's 258, you've got it right in the main specs below there.

As for sound, did you check to see what level the enhanced engine sound system was set at?

The whole point of NX is to be super stylish and with a more raked profile than a traditional boxy SUV, but overall functionality is still present as I believe you can lay golf bags across the width of the cargo area, which can't be done in a lot of SUVs.

I think you meant Acura RDX in the lower line, not RLX.
Old 12-11-14, 09:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
As for sound, did you check to see what level the enhanced engine sound system was set at?
I thought that was only on the F Sport models. Is that not the case?
Old 12-11-14, 09:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I thought that was only on the F Sport models. Is that not the case?
Ah I think you're right JDR, just thought it might have inadvertently added more engine/road noise.

Quick Reply: MM Annual Holiday-Review...2015 Lexus NX