Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

honking alarms should be banned. Common sense should be required.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-14, 11:06 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default honking alarms should be banned. Common sense should be required.

It probably costs $2 to put an alarm beeper that sounds like the one Lexus uses.

I think this should be required of all cars. The alarms that honk the horn while arming/disarming are obnoxious, especially late at night.

I have a neighbor who has OCD and honks her alarm twice when arming. WTF girl, your car is locked on the first honk !!!
I have read about others with even more severe OCD who honk more times than that.

The other neighbor frequently sets off her car alarm herself and takes her time to turn it off. Frickin klutz, learn how to use your alarm.

I rarely read about anyone who wants to figure how to silence their alarm so they don't disturb neighbors.
Many alarms actually have a silent arming mode where you just hear the locks engage.
Old 12-10-14, 08:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I had to train myself not to press my button twice when I hit lock. But my car is pretty obvious when it locks, so I don't need that extra assurance from pressing it twice.

I had a crappy Viper remote installed in my LS400. It would flash the lights sometimes, but not always, nor did locking or unlocking make any audible sound from outside. And it didn't always work, so you would end up pressing it two or three times to get it to lock. So it would honk occasionally.

I like my parents' Chrysler 300. The in-dash menu lets you disable the honk altogether.
Old 12-10-14, 09:06 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think anyone here has the power to do anything about it.
Old 12-10-14, 09:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I got so used to my Lexus' beep that I thought it was the norm for all cars to have it. Turns out there are a lot that don't have this feature. I particularly hate the honk, and I shouldn't have to press the remote twice to get a horrible honk. In the ideal world, pressing once would lock the doors, but sometimes it doesn't go through because of low battery, interference, etc.

When I'm in my house, I can press the remote and hear the beep. With my other cars, I have to go outside and check.
Old 12-10-14, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Beep/Chirp > Honk
Old 12-10-14, 12:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ except when you are looking for your car in a mall parking lot.
Old 12-10-14, 12:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I got so used to my Lexus' beep that I thought it was the norm for all cars to have it. Turns out there are a lot that don't have this feature. I particularly hate the honk,
Only higher end models have alarm beeper, I think all Lexus have it, but when you get down to Corolla, it honk. On the Euro side, C250 and 320i have the honk, because my neighbors has them, but E/S-Class, 5-series and up have the beeper.

I hate honking alarms also, it is so annoying and it show the car is too low end to have a beeper.

I turn off all beeper in all of my cars when I can, I can turn it off in my LS, but not my SC.
Old 12-10-14, 01:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
It probably costs $2 to put an alarm beeper that sounds like the one Lexus uses.
$2 each is a lot on a mass produced product.
Old 12-10-14, 03:11 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Civic does it
Old 12-10-14, 03:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My Honda now does it. Cost me $45 for the unit though. lol.
Old 12-10-14, 03:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
^ except when you are looking for your car in a mall parking lot.
That's why it's nice to have dedicated buttons for lock/unlock aka chirp and an actual panic alarm button on the fob for that sort of scenario
Old 12-10-14, 07:58 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Only higher end models have alarm beeper, I think all Lexus have it, but when you get down to Corolla, it honk. On the Euro side, C250 and 320i have the honk, because my neighbors has them, but E/S-Class, 5-series and up have the beeper.

I hate honking alarms also, it is so annoying and it show the car is too low end to have a beeper.

I turn off all beeper in all of my cars when I can, I can turn it off in my LS, but not my SC.
I have not known of any Toyota with factory-installed remote to honk. All the Camrys and my 2010 Corolla all chirped (or beeped -- take your pick as to how you describe it) even if you are obsessive-compulsive (like I can be) and hit the lock button more than once. Hondas, though, do honk. My wife's Accord only quickly flashes the lights with one push but annoyingly honks if you do not see the lights and hit the lock button a second time.
Old 12-10-14, 10:56 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So am I the only person around here who doesn't lock their car?????

Seriously, only time I lock it is if I have done some shopping and put it in the trunk. I never leave anything of value in there. My theory is they can try the door handle, turn the glove box and console inside out and find about the most valuable thing is a Huey Lewis tape from 1985 in there lol. Much rather they do that than bust out a window or **** up the sheet metal trying to jimmy a lock.
Old 12-11-14, 11:32 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
So am I the only person around here who doesn't lock their car?????

Seriously, only time I lock it is if I have done some shopping and put it in the trunk. I never leave anything of value in there. My theory is they can try the door handle, turn the glove box and console inside out and find about the most valuable thing is a Huey Lewis tape from 1985 in there lol. Much rather they do that than bust out a window or **** up the sheet metal trying to jimmy a lock.
Even if I'm 20 feet away I still lock it. Peace of mind I guess.
Old 12-11-14, 11:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the fact that my cars fold their mirrors in when they lock. The visual signal really calms me down and prevents me from wanting to lock the car twice.

Quick Reply: honking alarms should be banned. Common sense should be required.