Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 12:13 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

A good read as some aspects of it I never really considered would be an issue.
Old 12-10-14, 12:17 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Poor fellow. Hope he can pick up the pieces..........

On a serious note, he does bring up some valid points.
Old 12-10-14, 12:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

All bogus invalid points, he live in the wrong place and bought the wrong color car

1, If he just want to enjoy the car without the attention, buy a black or dark gray one, not a bright red one. Even a bright red Fiero draw attention. The fact that he bought a red one means he does want the attention.

2, Sounds like he live in downtown of some ghetto city, of course everyone harrass a red Ferrari. In a wealthy suburb, a F360 today is not even a fancy car, everyone knows it doesn't worth much and it is old news. There is this guy in my neighborhood that park his brand new bright red F12 in front of the supermarket almost everyday, I was parked next to it for 30 minutes a few days ago, other then a few quick glances, nobody took a picture or walk close to look at it, it is just another common Ferrari. It take a LaFerrari with it's butterfly doors opened to get any attention in a wealthy suburb.

3, Of course it is high maintenance, which highend high performance sports car isn't?

4, Of course the ride is harsh and is hard to get over bumps and steep driveway, that apply to all low riding sports car.
Attached Thumbnails Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment-20141207_112615.jpg  
Old 12-10-14, 01:05 PM
SlangBlade
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised at all the negative comments in this thread. I always dreamt of owning a Ferrari, and I appreciate the point of view of someone who at one point was in the same shoes. If anything, I'd think I'd spring for an NSX given the opportunity. But I also think I fall into the category of those who would want to be in the car, as opposed to be seen in the car.
Old 12-10-14, 01:07 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the writer makes some valid points.

I'd much rather have a lower cost, more practical sports car that I can use as a daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I think the exotics are downright awesome, in the same way I think the F-22 Raptor is awesome....but I'm not going to own one.
Old 12-10-14, 01:21 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SlangBlade
I'm surprised at all the negative comments in this thread. I always dreamt of owning a Ferrari, and I appreciate the point of view of someone who at one point was in the same shoes. If anything, I'd think I'd spring for an NSX given the opportunity. But I also think I fall into the category of those who would want to be in the car, as opposed to be seen in the car.
I will have to say that the author of the article (while writing entertaining stories) wrote it just to draw attention and readers.

Buying or owning an exotic cars will always come with the attention, impracticality, and stuff to worry over / get **** over.

The only thing NSX will have differently over a F car is the maintenance will be lower but that is about it. If both were red you would get way more attention, and unless you have enough money to treat the NSX as a throw away car you would be concerned to leave it in some unknown area overnight.

Plus, if you buy a low slung sports car, you would expect it to be not comfortable in the city or impractical for a lot of errands. Who wouldnt?
Old 12-10-14, 01:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikez
I will have to say that the author of the article (while writing entertaining stories) wrote it just to draw attention and readers.
I think so too.

He basically just complaining about the high cost of owning something so hot, like how it is a PITA to have a supermodel GF/wife.
Old 12-10-14, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The guy won't have the swiss army watch quality of those panels either. Taught fitment
Old 12-10-14, 04:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The guy won't have the swiss army watch quality of those panels either. Taught fitment
You talking about the tight panel gap on that F12?
Old 12-10-14, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
You talking about the tight panel gap on that F12?
Your LS

Old 12-10-14, 04:17 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

As a Ferrari owner told me while quizing me about my Boxster: "Ferrari's are for collectors, Porsche's are for drivers."
Old 12-10-14, 04:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Your LS

Thank you.

The latest model's quality is pretty high now.......458, F12, FF, LaF..........maybe still not as high as the perfect Lexus LS, but is not terrible like the old 355, 360......etc.
Old 12-10-14, 04:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
As a Ferrari owner told me while quizing me about my Boxster: "Ferrari's are for collectors, Porsche's are for drivers."
That is true 10~20 years ago, today's 458 Speciale and LaFerrari have often ranked higher then the 991 GT3 and 918 as a better driver's car.
Old 12-10-14, 04:53 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
All bogus invalid points, he live in the wrong place and bought the wrong color car

1, If he just want to enjoy the car without the attention, buy a black or dark gray one, not a bright red one. Even a bright red Fiero draw attention. The fact that he bought a red one means he does want the attention.

2, Sounds like he live in downtown of some ghetto city, of course everyone harrass a red Ferrari. In a wealthy suburb, a F360 today is not even a fancy car, everyone knows it doesn't worth much and it is old news. There is this guy in my neighborhood that park his brand new bright red F12 in front of the supermarket almost everyday, I was parked next to it for 30 minutes a few days ago, other then a few quick glances, nobody took a picture or walk close to look at it, it is just another common Ferrari. It take a LaFerrari with it's butterfly doors opened to get any attention in a wealthy suburb.

3, Of course it is high maintenance, which highend high performance sports car isn't?

4, Of course the ride is harsh and is hard to get over bumps and steep driveway, that apply to all low riding sports car.
Must go to SuperCuts so he can afford maintenance costs!
Old 12-10-14, 06:32 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez

Buying or owning an exotic cars will always come with the attention, impracticality, and stuff to worry over / get **** over.

The only thing NSX will have differently over a F car is the maintenance will be lower but that is about it. If both were red you would get way more attention, and unless you have enough money to treat the NSX as a throw away car you would be concerned to leave it in some unknown area overnight.

Plus, if you buy a low slung sports car, you would expect it to be not comfortable in the city or impractical for a lot of errands. Who wouldnt?
I have to disagree with this, at least with my experience. I have a buddy who at one time owned an R8 and an NSX, albeit the NSX had stock wheels. We would get way more attention in the R8 (people asking us if its a Ferrari lol), than the NSX. However, people asking about the NSX were generally real car people.

Quick Reply: Owning A Ferrari For A Year Was A Disappointment