Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion could be repositioned below Lexus as a Premium brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 08:05 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Scion is trying to be the next MINI, it needs to have a defined brand image.

Now, I have supported Scion for being "the brand that gets you an inexpensive car with personality."

If Scion wants to change that into "a semi-premium brand just because", well, they're headed towards collapse.

Scion needs purpose. Scion needs a mantra. Scion needs its "Golden Circle." Otherwise, it's just another car.

WHY, SCION?!? WHY!?!
Old 12-08-14, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
World-wide. The is a lack of high-powered luxury cars for Russia, Asia and Middle East. But in Europe Lexus just can't get that successful, at least in the perception of European customers. Taking into account Lexus has no diesel and rather well powered cars, if 4 cylinder hybrid, or at least 6 cylinders, they are doing rather well. More than that a very large quantity of German premium cars are fleet sales. It is hard to get a weighted comparison.
Lexus had record last year in the world, and it will have record this year in the world... it will also have record next year in the world.

Luxury brands are on the rise world wide, and are making record profits for their parent corporations.

So if anything, luxury brands are way to go and thats what is really expanding right now world wide.
Old 12-08-14, 10:28 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm confused by what Lentz means by "premium" in his phrase "C-platform premium small cars". I'm not sure that actually means luxury. For example, is the FR-S a "premium" car? I wouldn't think so in a vacuum, but the context of the comparison is to B-platform cars, like the Yaris. Compared to to the Yaris, maybe the FR-S is "premium".

Keep in mind also that some Scion models - like the tC and xB - are already using the current version of what will become the C-platform. So again, it comes down to what he actually means by "premium".

If he really means something approaching luxury, it's nonsense. Rebranding Scion will be a disaster, as it's nothing resembling a luxury product now. Forcing the FT86 downmarket to the FR-S for the US was just stupid, especially when even third-world countries are getting the full Toyota 86.
Old 12-08-14, 10:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
But Lexus came from nowhere. It was made up for the US market.

Agreed! It is all in having the product and marketing. We all still remember bits and pieces of Lexus marketing from the past 25 years -- "The relentless pursuit of perfection".

MINI did it. Starting as a typical, tiny British car (nothing to write home about), it is now considered a premium brand, due to the willingness of BMW to stick with the theme of Mini as premium.

So, if Toyota wanted to, it could be done. It would just require the right product, and the right consistent marketing for a few years. Decide what Scion should stand for and be prepared to go with that theme for the next 10 years.

All brands started from nothing and were brought to where they are by marketing.
Old 12-08-14, 11:00 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Toyota, of course, once produced engines for Lotus. The Elise that I reviewed some years ago had a Toyota 1.8L VTEC four..the same engine, I think, used in the last Celica GT and Matrix XRS.

One (possible) reason why Toyota didn't buy Proton is that, even as huge as the company is, they were somewhat short of cash after the large fines that the American government socked them with after the runaway-acceleration and throttle/floor-mat issues.
Toyoya sold existing motors to lotus, they never produced anything exclusively.
Old 12-19-14, 12:08 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Do You Think? Scion as a "Small-Premium" Brand?

Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz told Wards, "I still personally believe small-premium is the direction we should be going [with Scion]. I think that C-platform premium small cars are probably the best place for Scion to be." However, Scion Vice President Doug Murtha said, "He may be having discussions at levels I’m not. If he’s able to somehow lobby to take the brand in a new direction, that’s probably a longer-term proposition than we’re looking at right now." Murtha and his people are still pursuing younger buyers, and need their vehicles to be attainable.

Given that Lexus doesn't want to dip into the sub-30k range, do you think Scion could find a home there?
Old 12-19-14, 12:16 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, considering the FRS is already approaching 30k ... They seem to be somewhat there already.

But IMO, they should just fold scion, since they sell those models as toyotas around the world anyway.... . The brand image of toyota is already getting better and attracting younger buyers. With the supra (hopefully?) coming out soon ... and the "below FRS" coupe that Akio talked about.... scion almost becomes unnecessary.

The whole point of scion was to be "hip" and "sporty" right? If toyota is already going in that direction there isn't really a point for scion to exist
Old 12-24-14, 11:46 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to kill that brand and put all of cars under Toyota, Lexus already fills the luxury premium gap IMO.