Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Scion could be repositioned below Lexus as a Premium brand

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-14, 12:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Scion could be repositioned below Lexus as a Premium brand

Lentz Still Wants Scion to Become Small-Premium Brand

NEWPORT BEACH, CA – Toyota North America CEO Jim Lentz continues to advocate for Scion becoming a brand of small-premium cars.

“I still personally believe small-premium is the direction we should be going,” he tells WardsAuto in a recent interview here during a Toyota press event. “I think that (the) Toyota channel, itself, with vehicles like Yaris and other small, B-platform cars, can handle the lower end of the market. I think that C-platform premium small cars are probably the best place for Scion to be.”

The positioning also makes sense as Toyota’s Lexus luxury brand has said it won’t sell a model below $30,000, bucking the trend of other premium automakers offering models below that price point (Mercedes-Benz CLA, Audi A3).

However, Scion has said the upcoming production version of the iM concept displayed at the recent 2014 Los Angeles auto show will begin under $20,000.

“We’re still going after a younger audience. We still need that attainability factor,” Scion Vice President Doug Murtha tells WardsAuto in a separate interview in Los Angeles.

Murtha doesn’t disagree with Lentz’s desire for a small-premium model lineup, but says, “He may be having discussions at levels I’m not.” Also, Scion currently is planning for the ’17-’25 model years.

“If he’s able to somehow lobby to take the brand in a new direction, that’s probably a longer-term proposition than we’re looking at right now,” Murtha says.

The production version of the iM, a compact hatchback based on Toyota’s European Auris model, will be unveiled at the 2015 New York auto show in April and is one of three new models Scion is planning to launch in three years.

Murtha is mum on what the others may be but acknowledges the size of the brand’s lineup will be fluid, ranging from four to possibly seven nameplates.

Today, Scion offers five models: the iQ minicar, xD subcompact, xB box, tC coupe and the rear-wheel-drive FR-S sports car. Some of those models will depart, but Murtha won’t say which ones are on the chopping block.

His predecessor, Jack Hollis, told WardsAuto in 2012 the xB and xD would be discontinued.

When asked if he’s surprised by how successful Kia has been with the xB competitor Soul, Murtha says the Korean brand is targeting a different buyer than Scion’s xB, and applying a lot more marketing muscle, too. “They’re clearly investing in it in a big way,” he says. “They’ve positioned it competitively, to their credit. It’s a pretty good value in the market.”

Murtha is hopeful Scion will receive the necessary marketing dollars to launch the production iM and other future new models, although he’s not counting on a Kia-like budget.

“We’re going to expect we get the bump in our marketing budget, beyond just the sustainment level,” he says. “In a way, I’m not sure the Kia comparison is really fair because they are something closer to a full-line manufacturer.”

As for possible future segments, Murtha says green cars and a small pickup remain off the must-do list, either due to lack of desire among young car buyers or weak profitability.

Scion’s research continues to show that while young buyers have a strong interest in all things environmental, “as soon as you attach a price tag to it, they’re out.”

Sales of the relatively affordable Toyota Prius C subcompact to an older-than-expected buyer “just reinforces that end of the market isn’t demanding anything that’s not already available to them,” Murtha says.

The realities of the U.S. “chicken tax,” a stiff tariff slapped on imported light trucks, make a small pickup a no-go. All Scions currently sold in the U.S. are built in Japan.

“Unless we can create enough volume within North America to justify bringing production here, you’re going to face a 25% tariff bringing that in from anywhere overseas, and it’s impossible to make a business case for that.”

However, a light truck in the form of an SUV or a CUV is being considered.

“I wouldn’t rule out a utility vehicle, if I think there’s something appropriately Scion-esque,” Murtha says.

Scion still is aiming for 100,000 annual sales in the U.S., a volume necessary for the brand’s U.S. dealers to be profitable.

But sales this year have gone, disappointingly, in the opposite direction, Murtha says.

The 50,285 units sold through October are 14.8% below year-ago’s 59,030.

“I think we had hoped to begin re-engaging dealers before the new product arrived and hoped through some additional focus on their part, we’d be able to get some more out of what otherwise was an aging lineup, and I think some of those efforts didn’t necessarily pan out,” he says.

However, Murtha is confident Scion does have its dealer body’s “attention,” as they’ve seen coming new product and “realize if we don’t hit the ground from a standing start when those new products arrive, we’re not going to make the most out of them.”
http://wardsauto.com/management-stra...-premium-brand
Old 12-06-14, 02:25 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

premium brand with mostly small fwd cars? haha.
Old 12-06-14, 05:22 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
premium brand with mostly small fwd cars? haha.

...to compete with the Audi A3, basic A4, MB B- and A-Class, BMW 1- and 2-series, and MINI. It would allow Toyota to get into the small premium class without having Lexus go downmarket too much.
Old 12-06-14, 06:25 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could make sense. Because Scion is not a low-cost brand either as Dacia, Lada or Tata.
Old 12-06-14, 07:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

well as the article says, it wont be happening for 12 years at least :-)
Old 12-06-14, 09:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Some of those models will depart, but Murtha won’t say which ones are on the chopping block.
I'd bet that the iQ will probably be the first current Scion model to be dropped. Except for the 2012 model year, Its sales have been quite poor, despite the fact that it is a far better vehicle, overall, than its primary competitor...the Smart-for-Two.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

The realities of the U.S. “chicken tax,” a stiff tariff slapped on imported light trucks, make a small pickup a no-go. All Scions currently sold in the U.S. are built in Japan.
30 years ago, in the 1980s, (yes, that imported-truck tariff has been around a while), Toyota got around that law by sending the cab/drivetrain/chassis assemblies over on the ships as a whole unit (in other words, the whole truck without the bed), and aftermarket-welding the beds on at their West Coast warehouse. The problem, though, was crappy, poor-quality welds on virtually every truck that rusted out from the inside....there was no way you could stop it, even with regular washing/waxing. Those of you old enough to remember those trucks (as I am) will recall that they all developed a serious rust-line in exactly the same place.....the base of the bed, over the rear wheels, were the weld-line was. By 1990, Toyota finally gave up on those welds and, starting the next year, built the entire trucks here in the U.S.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 09:51 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, Scion hardly lit the world on fire as a budget brand for young car buyers. And they think it could do better as a premium brand for young car buyers? The Scion brand name has no pull.
Old 12-06-14, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

So can it be done over time, or would Toyota be better offer introducing a new Premium brand? The way I see it, Current Scions should be Toyota badged anyway (they mostly are elsewhere in the world ). Toyota has an array of small efficient and relatively competitive models to fill in the lower ranks of the Toyota stable. A Premium entry would and as stated help Lexus maintain a more luxurious image. A Premium brand could bridge the gap between Toyota and Lexus thus allowing more exclusivity, better material grades.. FR-S/GT86 could be refocused to deliver a more refined experienced and cars to compete with the CLA, A3, 1-Series, ILX, Verano/Regal . Do I believe this will happen? Well right now it's kinda
Old 12-06-14, 01:40 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Scion" doesn't sound expensive or sexy to me. They should just dump the brand, sell the models as toyotas and call it a day. And if they're wanting to make small premium vehicles, it doesn't help that Lexus just introduced the NX, that would have been better under the Scion brand for what they're wanting to do with Scion. Just makes no sense to me.
Old 12-06-14, 01:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Scion is a waste of Marketing $$$$.......its a brand available only in the US.
I think Toyota/Lexus can cover the market for all car segments between $10k to 150k.

Lexus CT is proof it can sell luxury small cars, imagine if they put the new 2.0Turbo in it with AWD = perfect as CT F.

I rather Toyota have a true luxury high-end brand like VW's Bentley/Porsche/Lambo, BMW's Rolls-Royce, Fiat's Maserrati/Ferrari.
I know MB is now partnering more with Aston Martin.

As the wealth gap increases, there is a rising demand for more expensive luxury cars and exotics.

Toyota should take over an established brand that already has a strong history/heritage.
Aston Martin would of been perfect, maybe Lotus?

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-06-14 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-06-14, 02:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Scion is a waste of Marketing $$$$.......its a brand available only in the US.
I think Toyota/Lexus can cover the market for all car segments between $10k to 150k.

Lexus CT is proof it can sell luxury small cars, imagine if they put the new 2.0Turbo in it with AWD = perfect as CT F.

I rather Toyota have a true luxury high-end brand like VW's Bentley/Porsche/Lambo, BMW's Rolls-Royce, Fiat's Maserrati/Ferrari.
I know MB is now partnering more with Aston Martin.

As the wealth gap increases, there is a rising demand for more expensive luxury cars and exotics.

Toyota should take over an established brand that already has a strong history/heritage.
Aston Martin would of been perfect, maybe Lotus?
There were rumors years ago about Toyota and Lotus shacking up. Shame Toyota didn't buy Proton. Heck if they did they'd already have a Lotus F1 entry back by Toyota coffers and engineering
Old 12-06-14, 02:57 PM
DK11
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sick21
"Scion" doesn't sound expensive or sexy to me. They should just dump the brand, sell the models as toyotas and call it a day. And if they're wanting to make small premium vehicles, it doesn't help that Lexus just introduced the NX, that would have been better under the Scion brand for what they're wanting to do with Scion. Just makes no sense to me.
Totally agree. How is Scion any better as a premium brand name than just plain Toyota? Most people I know associate Scion with cheap small and ugly cars meant for teenagers.
Old 12-06-14, 03:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by DK11
Totally agree. How is Scion any better as a premium brand name than just plain Toyota? Most people I know associate Scion with cheap small and ugly cars meant for teenagers.
funny, cause I think Toyota meant Scion: a descendant of a notable family
Old 12-06-14, 03:25 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Brands don't come from no where. They are the result of something tangible or emotional. Scion is nothing of both. Toyota is a powerful brand, so they would have no problem creating new brands backed up by Toyota brand (i.e. Lexus). But then the product has to follow. For example, if Toyota builds a presidential car under another new brand, in some years this brand could be on Maybach/Bentley/Rolls Royce level. Same goes for a Ferrari/Lamborghini rival brand. The problem is not Scion, but the strategic product segmentation. While all Toyota brands should be independent, they should still have a strategic positioning within the whole group (i.e. Daihatsu - low cost, Toyota - mainstream, Lexus - premium). This is important not to create any overlapping or dilution. However the whole branding strategy has to be revised in order to gain sustainable competitive advantage that will hurt most mainstream brands but also premium brands, where customer turnover will increase due to lack of differentiation. Premium brands are losing their position: that is fact. Lexus is protected from that due to their low sales and small portfolio. They have to take advantage from that situation. With regards to Scion, at the moment it has no positioning nor name, so it cannot be successful.
Old 12-06-14, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
There were rumors years ago about Toyota and Lotus shacking up. Shame Toyota didn't buy Proton. Heck if they did they'd already have a Lotus F1 entry back by Toyota coffers and engineering
Toyota, of course, once produced engines for Lotus. The Elise that I reviewed some years ago had a Toyota 1.8L VTEC four..the same engine, I think, used in the last Celica GT and Matrix XRS.

One (possible) reason why Toyota didn't buy Proton is that, even as huge as the company is, they were somewhat short of cash after the large fines that the American government socked them with after the runaway-acceleration and throttle/floor-mat issues.

Quick Reply: Scion could be repositioned below Lexus as a Premium brand