Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Ford Explorer Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 08:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts
Default 2016 Ford Explorer Refresh

Thought I'd share, the 2016 Ford Explorer has been thoroughly refreshed. This is a vehicle I find appealing, my first car was an Explorer, and we are going to need 3 rows. An above the Limited "Platinum" trim competes with Jeep's Overland and Summit Grand Cherokee which is also great, I thought the Limited was lacking when compared to top Jeep trims.

Thoughts? I like the look of it a lot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2...eveal-la-2014/

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/2016-fo...w-pictures/18/
Old 12-03-14, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You're correct about the JGC interiors....they are striking, especially compared to past-generation models. Newer Explorers, though, according to Consumer Reports, have had reliability problems, though in different reliability areas than the JGC's problems. A common and recurring complaint in many Ford products is the MyTouch and SYNC systems.

Can't comment on the new Explorer Limited's interior because I haven't sat in it, so I'll take your word for it.
Old 12-03-14, 10:49 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Ford Explorer definitely doesn't execute top level trim interiors as well as the Jeep, even with the new Platinum trim, I was able to spend a lot of time in them at the LA Auto Show. Other problem I have with the Ford is that while it is fairly large on the outside, the interior packaging is fairly terrible and makes it pretty inefficient space wise. Similar problem plagues the Taurus which it is based on, huge car on the outside with minimal interior room.
Old 12-04-14, 05:27 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
The Ford Explorer definitely doesn't execute top level trim interiors as well as the Jeep, even with the new Platinum trim, I was able to spend a lot of time in them at the LA Auto Show. Other problem I have with the Ford is that while it is fairly large on the outside, the interior packaging is fairly terrible and makes it pretty inefficient space wise. Similar problem plagues the Taurus which it is based on, huge car on the outside with minimal interior room.
I agree with both points. If Ford ever moves off that ancient Volvo-derived platform the Explorer will become much more space efficient.
Old 12-04-14, 08:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Thought I'd share, the 2016 Ford Explorer has been thoroughly refreshed. This is a vehicle I find appealing, my first car was an Explorer, and we are going to need 3 rows. An above the Limited "Platinum" trim competes with Jeep's Overland and Summit Grand Cherokee which is also great, I thought the Limited was lacking when compared to top Jeep trims.

Thoughts? I like the look of it a lot.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/2...eveal-la-2014/

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/2016-fo...w-pictures/18/
IMHO, the pre-facelift version looks better:

The only advantage this MMC facelift gives you is more features (e.g. LED headlamps, upgrades to the Sony sound system for the Platinum model, etc. etc.)

Other than that, it's not a deal-breaker if I choose the pre-facelift version.
Old 12-04-14, 08:42 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I like either one(prefer the pre-facelift grill though).

That new grill reminds me a bit of the stupid custom grills that people put on their trucks. I like what they did to the headlights, fogs, and the bumper though.
Old 12-04-14, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That grille is Platinum Specific, this is the grill for the Limited and looks like the rest of the line:

Other problem I have with the Ford is that while it is fairly large on the outside, the interior packaging is fairly terrible and makes it pretty inefficient space wise.
I found the same to be true when we looked at the new Explorer in 2011.
Old 12-04-14, 09:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the MMC facelift for the Explorer Sport

It's not worse than the current pre-facelift Explorer Sport...........but it doesn't look like it's more superior or better-looking (in terms of front grille design).

Also, is it just me or do these wheels look smaller than the pre-facelift version?

So yeah, personally, I still don't have much of an incentive to fully choose the new facelift in this regard (from an exterior design standpoint)

Old 12-04-14, 10:30 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

nice halogen lights. so high tech

they really toned it down. Looks a bit 1990s
Old 12-04-14, 10:36 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, definitely not feeling this new front end, i feel they could have executed many of the design aspects much better, it doesn't look as refined and sort of dumbs down the whole car. I liked the old front end.
Old 12-04-14, 06:59 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
IMHO, the pre-facelift version looks better.
Agreed 1000%
Old 12-04-14, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
nice halogen lights. so high tech

they really toned it down. Looks a bit 1990s
They're actually LED, but I do agree they look like Halogens.

I do like the refresh, have to see it in person.
Old 12-04-14, 07:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I like this one
Old 12-04-14, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Other problem I have with the Ford is that while it is fairly large on the outside, the interior packaging is fairly terrible and makes it pretty inefficient space wise.
agree completely. as a (current) last gen explorer owner, i was disappointed with this gen explorer, and i think this new front end looks even worse. but when i looked at the new explorer, i was kind of amazed at how huge it was compared to my explorer and how the view from the driver's seat is like looking out over the front of a boat (the hood extending straight out in front, viewed through a small windshield).

the front end on this vehicle, like the new f-150, is LUDICROUSLY high and huge. appeals to those who think they'll have 'more protection' in a crash i guess.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I like this one
agree the sport is the best looking, but still, lipstick on a bloated pig.
Old 12-05-14, 11:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when i looked at the new explorer, i was kind of amazed at how huge it was compared to my explorer and how the view from the driver's seat is like looking out over the front of a boat (the hood extending straight out in front, viewed through a small windshield).

the front end on this vehicle, like the new f-150, is LUDICROUSLY high and huge. appeals to those who think they'll have 'more protection' in a crash i guess.
Perhaps this may not change your view of the latest Explorer, but the original 1Gen ones, IMO, had a higher, longer, more boat-like hood in front than newer ones.

(Also, IMO, it would be nice to bring the two-tones back. That's another way most auto manufacturers, in recent years, have cheapened out paint-jobs)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-14 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Ford Explorer Refresh