Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sienna SE over Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 03:39 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sienna SE over Highlander?

finally decided to replace our Pilot with one of these. am I the only one here like the Sienna SE over the vanilla look of the new Highlander even though Sienna is supposedly a soccer mom minivan? especially the '15 facelifted Sienna looks really nice with that improved interior. but one thing is holding me back on the Sienna SE is suv are known to age better than minivans. i've seen the last gen Sienna on the road, and they don't look like aged very well, while the previous gen Highlander still looks pretty decent.
Old 12-03-14, 03:51 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

depends on your family's needs. we just bought a minivan (Ody) and i can't get over how perfect it is for 3 kids in carseats. although i prefer the highlander for dynamics and looks, it's just a no-brainer for practicality and bang for the buck. yes, go for the SE. the '15 is now properly equipped and the handling is much better.
Old 12-03-14, 04:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
finally decided to replace our Pilot with one of these. am I the only one here like the Sienna SE over the vanilla look of the new Highlander even though Sienna is supposedly a soccer mom minivan? especially the '15 facelifted Sienna looks really nice with that improved interior. but one thing is holding me back on the Sienna SE is suv are known to age better than minivans. i've seen the last gen Sienna on the road, and they don't look like aged very well, while the previous gen Highlander still looks pretty decent.
if you need functionality of Sienna, then go for it of course... but yes, SUV age slower because people see them as cooler... also lose less value (but at the same time cost more).
Old 12-03-14, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Both cars have good reputations. Go drive both then pick your favorite
Old 12-03-14, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are willing to consider a non-Toyota, check out the new 2015 Kia Sedona minivan. It starts out some 3-4K cheaper, but doesn't have an AWD option like the Sienna.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/home?series=sedona&year=2015

Kia produces respectable vehicles now....the days of them making junk are long gone.
Old 12-03-14, 07:45 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take the new Sienna over the highlander any day especially if it's the SE model. To me it looks better and more practical. I'd wish my wife and I got the new SE sienna instead of a used 05 sienna but she didn't like the eighth seat in which we rarely ever use it anyways.
Old 12-03-14, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The bottom line is that basically they are the same vehicle. The only reason to select the Highlander is for the SUV/Crossover look, seating position, etc. I hate minivans as much as the next guy, but its hard to beat the practicality.
Old 12-03-14, 08:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The bottom line is that basically they are the same vehicle. The only reason to select the Highlander is for the SUV/Crossover look, seating position, etc.
The Highlander and Sienna are the same only in the sense that they both derive from the basic Camry platform (as does the Avalon, Lexus ES, and RX). Practically speaking, in day-to-day use, they are certainly not closely related, but two markedly different vehicles.

I hate minivans as much as the next guy, but its hard to beat the practicality.
Then why hate them? As I see it, the whole anti-minivan routine was something cooked up primarily by the auto press, which has never liked minivans because they usually don't fit the mold of a sporting vehicle.
Old 12-03-14, 09:45 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding the Highlander, if you value quiet ride you might want to watch this one minute video before purchasing one http://vid1381.photobucket.com/album...ps3n7os9ps.mp4 (Or else plan on adding 100-200 lbs of Dynamat to it's interior).

Last edited by gemigniani; 12-03-14 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 10:00 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I hear the new Highlander has been getting some recalls, a cause for concern. The Sienna looks pretty good fully loaded, I've seen a few with Vossen wheels and they're head turners.

Old 12-03-14, 10:46 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^Yep, those Norcal guys are pretty serious with their siennas

If you see yourself needing the 3rd row seats WITH cargo space, NOTHING beats a minivan.
Old 12-04-14, 07:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I quite like the Sienna (and the Highlander). With our growing family, we will very seriously consider a Sienna when our RX lease is up. The added practicality would be fantastic.
Old 12-04-14, 07:30 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I rocked a Sienna for a group of eight going for a wine-tasting weekend in Paso Robles.

The car had tons of space, comfortable for the 3rd row adult passengers, built tough to withstand children (and drunk adults), and plenty of amenities with upper trim models. The powertrain was able to handle maximum passenger capacity at the hillsides and freeways without issues.

Now, the Highlander may have two advantages: AWD (which you can get with the Sienna) and better ground clearance. Otherwise, the Sienna is more spacious and probably cheaper to maintain and insure.
Old 12-04-14, 07:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Regarding the Highlander, if you value quiet ride you might want to watch this one minute video before purchasing one http://vid1381.photobucket.com/album...ps3n7os9ps.mp4 (Or else plan on adding 100-200 lbs of Dynamat to it's interior).
I've driven the new Highlander. It's very smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Highlander and Sienna are the same only in the sense that they both derive from the basic Camry platform (as does the Avalon, Lexus ES, and RX). Practically speaking, in day-to-day use, they are certainly not closely related, but two markedly different vehicles.
Same platform. Same powertrain. Same AWD system. The ride and drive very similarly actually. The Highlamder has no off-road ability to speak of...it basically is a "cooler looking" minivan.

Then why hate them? As I see it, the whole anti-minivan routine was something cooked up primarily by the auto press, which has never liked minivans because they usually don't fit the mold of a sporting vehicle.
It's just not an enthusiasts vehicle. It's a very utilitarian vehicle, not stylish. Not enjoyable to drive. Has no appeal for the other than as a family hauler.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-04-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-05-14, 06:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I would not bother with the SE version of the Sienna. I don't see the point in dressing up a minivan and saying it's "sporty". At the end of the day, it's a minivan. I'd rather spend my money getting a more luxurious model than a more sporty model, if I'm buying a minivan, especially since my wife would be the primary driver.

But that's just me.

Quick Reply: Sienna SE over Highlander?