Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sienna SE over Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-14, 03:11 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

time to close this thread. wife has spoken, her exact words were:" you expected me to drive that box on wheels?" so it'll be Highlander XLE for us.
Old 12-12-14, 05:27 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

took home a 2015 Highlander XLE fwd today. the interior is dare i say very Lexus-like quality. due to high demands and low supplies, i don't think i got a killer deal but not a horrible one either. here are some pictures, will post driving impressions after a few days behind the wheels.

Old 12-12-14, 05:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. Hard to go wrong with a Highlander. I like the fact that, unlike some other newer SUVs, it still puts function over form, and has good space efficiency inside.

wife has spoken, her exact words were:" you expected me to drive that box on wheels?" so it'll be Highlander XLE for us.
Has your wife noticed that the Highlander is also somewhat of a box? Of course, IMO, there's noting wrong with a box....boxes usually mean space efficiency and good outward visibility.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-12-14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-14-14, 09:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
took home a 2015 Highlander XLE fwd today. the interior is dare i say very Lexus-like quality. due to high demands and low supplies, i don't think i got a killer deal but not a horrible one either. here are some pictures, will post driving impressions after a few days behind the wheels.

It's a nice vehicle. If I had to replace my '12 CX-9 right now, this and the Santa Fe would be tops on my list.
Old 12-14-14, 09:47 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=stlgrym3;8824562]took home a 2015 Highlander XLE fwd today. the interior is dare i say very Lexus-like quality. due to high demands and low supplies, i don't think i got a killer deal but not a horrible one either. here are some pictures, will post driving impressions after a few days behind the wheels.

Close thread? You don't get off that easy. Congrats on the new car and I totally understand about keeping the peace. Enjoy! ( it IS a box on wheels) lol.
Old 09-28-15, 05:25 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

In the same dilemma right now with my wife. She hates Minivans but needs the space. It's between the Highlander and the Sienna. We have 2 small children.
Old 09-28-15, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
In the same dilemma right now with my wife. She hates Minivans but needs the space. It's between the Highlander and the Sienna. We have 2 small children.
Keep one thing in mind, though. if you need (or want) AWD, you're not limited to the Highlander. The Sienna also offers it...the only minivan currently in the American market to do so.
Old 09-29-15, 10:57 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

The Sienna will grow on you. This latest iteration is MUCH better than the last gen. Your not swallowed in a sea of plastic. Getting in & out is SO nice for current family and friends you'll bring along. Tight turning radius and in a nutshell bullet proof. Only problems I had cropped up at 330k miles. Transmission & bearings. Not bad.
Old 09-29-15, 12:14 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Keep one thing in mind, though. if you need (or want) AWD, you're not limited to the Highlander. The Sienna also offers it...the only minivan currently in the American market to do so.
We won't be needing AWD.
Old 09-29-15, 12:15 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
The Sienna will grow on you. This latest iteration is MUCH better than the last gen. Your not swallowed in a sea of plastic. Getting in & out is SO nice for current family and friends you'll bring along. Tight turning radius and in a nutshell bullet proof. Only problems I had cropped up at 330k miles. Transmission & bearings. Not bad.
Thanks, the Sienna definitely is more practical just not sure we need all that space but it will ultimately be up to the wife. Was reading there will be some upgrades for the 2016 models so not sure if I should wait or not.
Old 09-29-15, 09:10 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I were almost in the same situation, the difference is that we already had a 2014 Highlander and quickly out grew it. We looked at the Toyota Sienna and loved it, she ended up getting the AWD XLE Premium Edition. It has a great ride, a lot of options and the kids love the entertainment package. I was impressed that it actually has a Blu-Ray play and not just a DVD player. We went up North in NH for a small vacation with the Highlander and it was so jam packed on the way back we looked at each other and said, "we need something bigger". Our daughter loves the fact that she can walk around in it and not have to bend down. Its big but handles great and has almost 270 ponies under the hood to haul you along. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
Old 09-30-15, 05:04 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexLuthors
My wife and I were almost in the same situation, the difference is that we already had a 2014 Highlander and quickly out grew it. We looked at the Toyota Sienna and loved it, she ended up getting the AWD XLE Premium Edition. It has a great ride, a lot of options and the kids love the entertainment package. I was impressed that it actually has a Blu-Ray play and not just a DVD player. We went up North in NH for a small vacation with the Highlander and it was so jam packed on the way back we looked at each other and said, "we need something bigger". Our daughter loves the fact that she can walk around in it and not have to bend down. Its big but handles great and has almost 270 ponies under the hood to haul you along. Good Luck on whatever you decide.
How many kids do you have?
Old 09-30-15, 09:55 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats on the highlander!

Thanks, the Sienna definitely is more practical just not sure we need all that space but it will ultimately be up to the wife. Was reading there will be some upgrades for the 2016 models so not sure if I should wait or not.
I wouldn't count on it since they just had a major interior upgrade for 2015.

My very best guess is at least 2017 so I would say wait if you can.

2011-2014-no change
2015-2017?-major interior revamp
Old 09-30-15, 09:14 PM
LexLuthors
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many kids do you have?
We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Just the openness and all the extra room makes trips and packing 10 times easier.
Old 09-30-15, 11:56 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexLuthors
We have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. Just the openness and all the extra room makes trips and packing 10 times easier.
This. I helped multiple people move and even fit a 90" couch in there! Be it my daughter rock band and all their equipment to camping, landscape materials, washer & dryer, fridge, bikes and a ton of other "stuff". The Sienna stepped up and handled it. I miss it or might be the memories of it. Just eight very important years in the kids life revolved around that vehicle. I had four kids in that when purchased and had to be bullet proof. It was. So it was PERFECT. Now my youngest newborn was in that for a year and getting her in & out was a cinch. The seating was the perfect height for the baby seat. Now all the kids are grown except our now 7 year old and the RX is the perfect fit. Funny how things work out like that.

Quick Reply: Sienna SE over Highlander?