Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sienna SE over Highlander?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-14, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I agree, if I got one I'd get a Limited.
Old 12-05-14, 09:26 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your concern with the 2014 Sienna is not unfounded. I had until recently my 2006 Sienna that beat the third gen Sienna in every catagory. The soft touch material in the third gen was removed and had plastic everywhere! Very sloppily and hastily put together IMHO. Also I'd not by anything for that era of 2011 when they had their triple whammy of tsunami, nuclear meltdown and earthquake. How many employees do you think were focused on their work after 2011? Any wonder they ranked dead last in reviews?
Now the 2015!! Vava vooom! Looking good especially loaded. Soft touch materials are back, stitches look smart and seats look comfy. The outside looks good too. The dash is fresh with the huge LCD screen.

My Sienna served me VERY well for eight years and rolled faithfully for 334k miles with a transmission change at 330k. With the usual maintenance it was a champ. Ingress & exiting is awesome, turning radius is good, hauling plants, chairs, couches etc is a breeze in that cavern once the seats are put down and adjusted. Family road trips where everyone had their space kept things at peace. I'd buy the Sienna over ANY three seat monstrosity SUV out there that pretends to seat seven.
So if your not stuck on "status' it's the only way to go!
Old 12-05-14, 10:40 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Your concern with the 2014 Sienna is not unfounded. I had until recently my 2006 Sienna that beat the third gen Sienna in every catagory. The soft touch material in the third gen was removed and had plastic everywhere! Very sloppily and hastily put together IMHO. Also I'd not by anything for that era of 2011 when they had their triple whammy of tsunami, nuclear meltdown and earthquake. How many employees do you think were focused on their work after 2011? Any wonder they ranked dead last in reviews?
Now the 2015!! Vava vooom! Looking good especially loaded. Soft touch materials are back, stitches look smart and seats look comfy. The outside looks good too. The dash is fresh with the huge LCD screen.

My Sienna served me VERY well for eight years and rolled faithfully for 334k miles with a transmission change at 330k. With the usual maintenance it was a champ. Ingress & exiting is awesome, turning radius is good, hauling plants, chairs, couches etc is a breeze in that cavern once the seats are put down and adjusted. Family road trips where everyone had their space kept things at peace. I'd buy the Sienna over ANY three seat monstrosity SUV out there that pretends to seat seven.
So if your not stuck on "status' it's the only way to go!
i agree, i still think our '04 Pilot looks just as good as any other newer 7 seat "SUV" out there. i'm leaning toward the '15 refreshed Sienna SE, hopefully in black.
Old 12-05-14, 11:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Also I'd not by anything for that era of 2011 when they had their triple whammy of tsunami, nuclear meltdown and earthquake. How many employees do you think were focused on their work after 2011? Any wonder they ranked dead last in reviews?
Now the 2015!! Vava vooom! Looking good especially loaded.
A good point. I had not considered that. Also, of course, some employees in the area exposed to radiation after the Fukushima disaster may (?) also have had physical problems that impacted their production.
Old 12-06-14, 02:33 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

too bad minivans aren't pimp like they are in japan.

I would get a van if I wanted the utility. Too many people drive monster trucks with bad mpg just for paved roads.
Old 12-06-14, 07:34 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by pman6
too bad minivans aren't pimp like they are in japan.

I would get a van if I wanted the utility. Too many people drive monster trucks with bad mpg just for paved roads.
the Sienna SE especially in dark colors to me is the closet thing to a JDM van you can have here in the States.
Old 12-06-14, 10:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah we're going to get one. With the twins coming its really the only option if we want to be able to take people places with us. We could get a 3 row SUV like a QX60 that has a good third row, but its still not as easy as a Minivan, being able to just walk back between the front two seats.

So, my plan will be to buy one sometime late next year probably, the lease on the Lexus will be up then, and we can decide whether we need to trade it on a van or if we can get out of the Jeep lease early (it'll be 1/2 way through but has a low residual). They'll be about 10 months by then, and then keep it for 6-7 years at which time we'll be able to get back into a nice SUV. I don't really see the point in spending $55k on something nice like a QX60 when they're going to destroy it. My psyche will be better served by a minivan I can just let them beat all to hell.

Just a question of which van, Sienna, Odyssey or the Kia Sedona. My inclination would be the Odyssey, but it doesn't have adaptive cruise. The Sienna has AWD too which is a big plus. At 7 years and likely 140k miles or so it'll be fully depreciated so resale doesn't really matter. I know a Sienna or Odyssey can stand up to that, but I don't know about the Sedona.
Old 12-06-14, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yeah we're going to get one. With the twins coming
Congratulations on the twins. Didn't know your wife was expecting.

I don't really see the point in spending $55k on something nice like a QX60 when they're going to destroy it.
You don't necessarily have to spend 55K for a QX60. They start in the low-mid 40s. But I agree.....nice wood, leather, and chrome/brushed-metal, inside usually doesn't mix well with kids and ice cream cones, sodas, juice-boxes, etc....

My psyche will be better served by a minivan I can just let them beat all to hell.
If you REALLY want a kid-proof interior, cheap out a used (preferably a Certified-Used) AWD Honda Element. It was specifically designed to get the interior dirty, with waterproof/rubber/vinyl materials that can actually be hosed out in some places (but not under the instrument panel, where the hose could short out things).

Just a question of which van, Sienna, Odyssey or the Kia Sedona. My inclination would be the Odyssey, but it doesn't have adaptive cruise. The Sienna has AWD too which is a big plus. At 7 years and likely 140k miles or so it'll be fully depreciated so resale doesn't really matter. I know a Sienna or Odyssey can stand up to that, but I don't know about the Sedona.
I haven't seen or reviewed the latest Sedona yet, but past models were a very good value for the money, and, despite Consumer Reports panning their reliability, seemed to be reasonably reliable at least among the few I know who have bought them. I'd probably buy one before I would the Dodge Caravan......which actually may not be in production much longer, as Fiat management wants to keep only the Chrysler Town and Country. The Caravan (now Grand Caravan) sells at an even lower price than the Sedona, but it DOES seem to have a history of reliability problems. I've known numerous owners who were unsatisfied with them and got lemons, particularly with transmission problems. if you want a traditional minivan, though, with AWD, the Sienna is about your only choice.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-06-14 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-06-14, 11:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations on the twins. Didn't know your wife was expecting.
Thanks! Yep she's due in February. Wasn't unplanned, but wasn't planned either LOL.

You don't necessarily have to spend 55K for a QX60. They start in the low-mid 40s. But I agree.....nice wood, leather, and chrome/brushed-metal, inside usually doesn't mix well with kids and ice cream cones, sodas, juice-boxes, etc....
Yeah I really looked at the QX60 before we got the new Jeep in May. One optioned the way we want MSRPs around $53k, I could buy it for probably $46k. The third row seat in those is great, and the middle bench slides forward with carseats installed to allow access back there but its still not as convenient as a minivan.

I'm not really worried about the mess. I keep my cars so clean, it'll get washed once a week and vacuumed out and all...it'll be fine. But...I don't want something that I'm going to really like so much that I obsess over it. I do really like the Jeep lol

If you REALLY want a kid-proof interior, cheap out a used (preferably a Certified-Used) AWD Honda Element. It was specifically designed to get the interior dirty, with waterproof/rubber/vinyl materials that can actually be hosed out in some places (but not under the instrument panel, where the hose could short out things).
Too small...my mother will be going a lot of places with us, on vacation, etc. We need three rows.

I haven't seen or reviewed the latest Sedona yet, but past models were a very good value for the money, and, despite Consumer Reports panning their reliability, seemed to be reasonably reliable at least among the few I know who have bought them. I'd probably buy one before I would the Dodge Caravan......which actually may not be in production much longer, as Fiat management wants to keep only the Chrysler Town and Country. The Caravan (now Grand Caravan) seeks at an even lower price than the Sedona, but it DOES seen to have a history of reliability problems. I've known numerous owners who were unsatisfied with them and got lemons, particularly with transmission problems. if you want a traditional minivan, though, with AWD, the Sienna is about your only choice.
Yeah I need to see a new Sedona in person. All the reviews I've watched and read seem very positive. The Chrysler vans are out because of their safety ratings, they basically failed the small offset crash tests, the top winner there was the Odyssey.

AWD isn't the be all end all, I just have become used to being able to get out whenever, and I forsee us taking some trips and stuff in the winter, skiing and the like and I would like to have AWD...Sienna is the only choice there but even here the AWD Siennas are rare.
Old 12-06-14, 04:20 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

i got two offers on the table from the same dealer. '14 Sienna SE with moonroof and navigation selling for $30500, discount almost $7k off msrp, and a refreshed '15 Sienna SE without any option for $33500, only discount of $3k off msrp. for $3k less, would you get the loaded '14 SE although with the pre-refreshed interior?
Old 12-06-14, 11:06 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah we're going to get one. With the twins coming its really the only option if we want to be able to take people places with us. We could get a 3 row SUV like a QX60 that has a good third row, but its still not as easy as a Minivan, being able to just walk back between the front two seats.

So, my plan will be to buy one sometime late next year probably, the lease on the Lexus will be up then, and we can decide whether we need to trade it on a van or if we can get out of the Jeep lease early (it'll be 1/2 way through but has a low residual). They'll be about 10 months by then, and then keep it for 6-7 years at which time we'll be able to get back into a nice SUV. I don't really see the point in spending $55k on something nice like a QX60 when they're going to destroy it. My psyche will be better served by a minivan I can just let them beat all to hell.

Congrats on the double blessing.

As for depreciation I wouldn't sell yourself short as they hold their value pretty well. One thing you might consider is taking the car to Midas for the basic oil changes after the free Toyota two year maintenance period is over with. Be sure to ask but when my local Midas did any basic maintenance they logged in the vin number which then went to Carfax. This was a suprise for me when I went to sell the Sienna and there were seven pages of maintenance records. An excellent selling point I didn't have to mention to prospective buyers as they already knew and it sold in only three hours from listing. Not bad for a van with 334K on it & one owner. People like that.
As for the choices I'd not go with an unknown/unproven company. for me it boiled down to also Honda & Toyota. The Toyota I likened to a stretch Camry. LOL. Look as much as I like my RX that I bought two months ago, all this talk of Siennas has got me into withdrawals. Dangit!
Old 12-06-14, 11:18 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i got two offers on the table from the same dealer. '14 Sienna SE with moonroof and navigation selling for $30500, discount almost $7k off msrp, and a refreshed '15 Sienna SE without any option for $33500, only discount of $3k off msrp. for $3k less, would you get the loaded '14 SE although with the pre-refreshed interior?
Don't go with a 14. As I mentioned earlier all that sea of plastic will be a definate turn off for people when it comes time to resell the van yourself. Also not sure what impact all the flexing and twisting will have on all that plastic around the dash, windows, and so forth. The third gen 2011-2014 truly reminds me of of an auto company first effort while the second generation was their new & improved upon version with it's soft touch dash, and everything else. The third gen was a quick stop gap measure to quickly fill in for the lack engineering, R&D and other things going on after the 2011 Japan disaster. Who could blame them? So imho you'd be throwing good money after "bad" product at the end. Why do that?.
The 2015 is/should have been the 2011-2014 version third generation. Their back and it's looking smart. Very smart. Throw some Vossens on there...
Old 12-06-14, 11:21 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by islandbeef
I hear the new Highlander has been getting some recalls, a cause for concern. The Sienna looks pretty good fully loaded, I've seen a few with Vossen wheels and they're head turners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OGo_Q7fyY
I agree. Man, I wish I'd done that.
Old 12-07-14, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks! Yep she's due in February. Wasn't unplanned, but wasn't planned either LOL.
Good timing, though. The D.C. Auto Show runs from Jan.23 to Feb. 1. That will give you a chance, right before she's due, to check out all the minivans under one roof, in a warm setting indoors, and do a static (non-test-drive) review of each.

Toyota and a couple of other automakers usually have a test-drive circuit there at the show, around the local city streets, but the latest Sienna may or may not be available for a test-drive....usually Toyota has four or five cars on the circuit. And that test drive usually isn't very good for much except gauging the suspension-stiffness over D.C.'s rough streets and potholes.
Old 12-07-14, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
I'd get the 15...

Congrats on the double blessing.

As for depreciation I wouldn't sell yourself short as they hold their value pretty well. One thing you might consider is taking the car to Midas for the basic oil changes after the free Toyota two year maintenance period is over with. Be sure to ask but when my local Midas did any basic maintenance they logged in the vin number which then went to Carfax. This was a suprise for me when I went to sell the Sienna and there were seven pages of maintenance records. An excellent selling point I didn't have to mention to prospective buyers as they already knew and it sold in only three hours from listing. Not bad for a van with 334K on it & one owner.
Thanks!!

Yeah I have an independent Toyota/Lexus mechanic, he reports all the maintenance to carfax too, you're right buyers do like that..

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good timing, though. The D.C. Auto Show runs from Jan.23 to Feb. 1. That will give you a chance, right before she's due, to check out all the minivans under one roof, in a warm setting indoors, and do a static (non-test-drive) review of each.

Toyota and a couple of other automakers usually have a test-drive circuit there at the show, around the local city streets, but the latest Sienna may or may not be available for a test-drive....usually Toyota has four or five cars on the circuit. And that test drive usually isn't very good for much except gauging the suspension-stiffness over D.C.'s rough streets and potholes.
Yeah I usually go to the DC show a couple of times. I guess we'll have to see since my wife will be pretty close at that point!

Quick Reply: Sienna SE over Highlander?