Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-14, 02:18 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Excellent review and very informative.

Some thoughts and questions:

1) Did the gear shifter seem to be a reach? I've worried since the car first broke pics that the placement of the shifter was closer to the passenger and not the driver.

2) About the manual key entry. Doesn't my IS have this also? Where you remove the shell of the door handle and a key hole is expossed? Or did you mean something entirely different that went over my head?

3) I'm with you on the bambo interior trim. Super cool and worth the model itself.

4) Miss having tailpipes on hybrids. I know they are trying to make it seem "emissionless," but something thin and subtle would still convey that and add a little sporty style.

5) The high front approach angle bothers me a lot. It makes all these Lexus SUV's look like they have a overbite. My mom's non-hybrid RX with the touring appearance package takes care of the problem by adding a faux F-sport front. Maybe they'll add a similar option to the non-hybrid NX.

6) Wheel options look weak on all NX models. They could have done better, along with some wider tires. The small wheels on these bring it closer to RAV4 territory.

I inspected one of these up close last week at the dealer and was very impressed. Visually, it makes an impact with it's sharp lines and tidy packaging. I can't see it not selling well. The price is realistic for the basic bread and butter package, which traditionally is where most people shop.
Old 12-04-14, 08:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
What is the NX like as a family vehicle? Specifically, what is the back seat like?

I find the RAV4's back seat to be too narrow for 3 people and also find that the rear doors do not open far enough, leaving a restricted door opening. Is the NX's rear sear wider? Is it wide enough to squeeze in 3 people? Do the doors open wider?

I do think that the NX is a little expensive, especially the Hybrid model. But I like the size and the fact that it is the closest to a wagon that I will get (I like the rear hatch and cargo area of a wagon / CUV). Do you think it is worth the premium?
NX would be good for a family of four I think. I'm 5'9 175lbs so I fit well, a few inches of headroom and competitive foot room. For five on a trip it'd be a stretch, but short trips should be a pinch. Haven't had any experience with the rear seats of a new Rav4 so it's hard to answer that one sorry. The Hybrid is expensive I won't argue that, but it is the one I'd pick between the turbo. If I wanted a powerful and sporty ute I'd get a Cayenne, otherwise the mix of efficiency, usability, logical controls, utility, technology and reputation are what make the NX a good bet. Of course drive one first

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Excellent review and very informative.

Some thoughts and questions:

1) Did the gear shifter seem to be a reach? I've worried since the car first broke pics that the placement of the shifter was closer to the passenger and not the driver.

2) About the manual key entry. Doesn't my IS have this also? Where you remove the shell of the door handle and a key hole is expossed? Or did you mean something entirely different that went over my head?

3) I'm with you on the bambo interior trim. Super cool and worth the model itself.

4) Miss having tailpipes on hybrids. I know they are trying to make it seem "emissionless," but something thin and subtle would still convey that and add a little sporty style.

5) The high front approach angle bothers me a lot. It makes all these Lexus SUV's look like they have a overbite. My mom's non-hybrid RX with the touring appearance package takes care of the problem by adding a faux F-sport front. Maybe they'll add a similar option to the non-hybrid NX.

6) Wheel options look weak on all NX models. They could have done better, along with some wider tires. The small wheels on these bring it closer to RAV4 territory.

I inspected one of these up close last week at the dealer and was very impressed. Visually, it makes an impact with it's sharp lines and tidy packaging. I can't see it not selling well. The price is realistic for the basic bread and butter package, which traditionally is where most people shop.
Thanks!

1. Maybe by looks, but the action of reaching for it, doesn't feel out of the ordinary.

2. Yeah the NX has a new form of key entry should the fob battery be dead. On your and mine IS, we pop the cover on the door handle to reveal the key cylinder. On the 3IS, CT, RX, GX, GS, ES it is an exposed key cylinder. On the NX the cylinder is found by pulling the handle, clever use of space.

4. Yeah I'd like to see even just outlets for that little extra 'sport'

5. The sharp nose reminds me of a Mako shark

6. Agreed, but then Lexus wheels have never been the best
Old 12-06-14, 01:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Finally had some time to spend with the new NX.

All I have to say is that this new Lexus is a giant swing for the fences and a huge homerun.

This fits in nicely with Mercedes and Audi.
Old 12-06-14, 02:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Finally had some time to spend with the new NX.

All I have to say is that this new Lexus is a giant swing for the fences and a huge homerun.

This fits in nicely with Mercedes and Audi.
Definitely gives the GLK, Q5 and X3 for that matter something to think about. The former two are aged and due for a redesign though
Old 12-06-14, 02:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Definitely gives the GLK, Q5 and X3 for that matter something to think about. The former two are aged and due for a redesign though
Yes, new a gen GLK and Q5 are on the way. Not sure about the X3 but maybe that one too. The segment is still hot and will be more competitive than ever.
Old 12-07-14, 08:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What is the NX like as a family vehicle? Specifically, what is the back seat like?

I find the RAV4's back seat to be too narrow for 3 people and also find that the rear doors do not open far enough, leaving a restricted door opening. Is the NX's rear sear wider? Is it wide enough to squeeze in 3 people? Do the doors open wider?

I do think that the NX is a little expensive, especially the Hybrid model. But I like the size and the fact that it is the closest to a wagon that I will get (I like the rear hatch and cargo area of a wagon / CUV). Do you think it is worth the premium?
I had the chance to sit in an NX 300h over the weekend. Here are my quick first impressions.

It is a small CUV with a back seat that is narrow -- too narrow, I believe, for 3. The back door does seem to open wider than the RAV4; I really had no problems getting in or out. The step-in height is not too bad for a SUV/CUV (the one thing I particularly like about Toyota / Lexus CUVs). The back seat is also higher off the floor than the RX I also sat in, which makes it more comfortable than the RX.

The cargo area liftover is high. I don't know what is under that extra height compared to the RAV4.

Small storage space (for sunglasses, cellphone, etc.) is almost non-existent, like my ES, which is disappointing to me. That slot above the CD player is not very high and not very deep, but is probably just OK for a smartphone. The glovebox is of the drop-in bin type, however, and it seems larger and more convenient than the rather small glovebox in my ES.

Finally, the price on the pedestal said Cdn$61,000+ (about US$53,500), which is rather rich for a small CUV, IMO.
Old 12-08-14, 09:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I had the chance to sit in an NX 300h over the weekend. Here are my quick first impressions.

It is a small CUV with a back seat that is narrow -- too narrow, I believe, for 3. The back door does seem to open wider than the RAV4; I really had no problems getting in or out. The step-in height is not too bad for a SUV/CUV (the one thing I particularly like about Toyota / Lexus CUVs). The back seat is also higher off the floor than the RX I also sat in, which makes it more comfortable than the RX.

The cargo area liftover is high. I don't know what is under that extra height compared to the RAV4.

Small storage space (for sunglasses, cellphone, etc.) is almost non-existent, like my ES, which is disappointing to me. That slot above the CD player is not very high and not very deep, but is probably just OK for a smartphone. The glovebox is of the drop-in bin type, however, and it seems larger and more convenient than the rather small glovebox in my ES.

Finally, the price on the pedestal said Cdn$61,000+ (about US$53,500), which is rather rich for a small CUV, IMO.
hybrid makes no financial sense tho... 200t is much more affordable... starting at $35k in the US, for pretty good base equipment, sky is the limit for the sales.
Old 12-08-14, 10:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
hybrid makes no financial sense tho... 200t is much more affordable... starting at $35k in the US, for pretty good base equipment, sky is the limit for the sales.

Agreed! The NX 200t starts at just under Cdn$41,000 and the NX 300h starts at just under $59,000 (I just checked the Lexus Canada website). A $18,000 premium for the Hybrid is far too much. You could get a NX 200t AND a Yaris for that price.

I complained to the salesman. He said that the Hybrid is "loaded" (his word). Still...
Old 12-08-14, 10:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Agreed! The NX 200t starts at just under Cdn$41,000 and the NX 300h starts at just under $59,000 (I just checked the Lexus Canada website). A $18,000 premium for the Hybrid is far too much. You could get a NX 200t AND a Yaris for that price.

I complained to the salesman. He said that the Hybrid is "loaded" (his word). Still...
yep, it is loaded... but even if you load turbo to the roof, price difference is still a lot... thats in US, in Europe due to taxes, Hybrid is actually cheaper.
Old 12-08-14, 11:47 AM
Hoovey689

Sorry meant to post these earlier for you Sulu, but looks like you already got your answer

Old 12-08-14, 07:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sorry meant to post these earlier for you Sulu, but looks like you already got your answer

Thanks, but yeah, already saw and sat in a white Hybrid with black interior on the weekend.
Old 12-09-14, 06:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The 300h in Canada is only available with the "Executive" package. A 200t "Executive" is 5900$ less narrowing the 18K gap when comparing the same equipment.
Old 12-10-14, 09:28 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Great review Hoovey

This is going to our next car when the GS lease is up in 1.5 years. We'll go for the 200t since it's only available for F-sport. For me, any future lexus must be in F sport form

By then, hopefully lexus will add something new for the 2nd year.
Old 12-10-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great review Hoovey

This is going to our next car when the GS lease is up in 1.5 years. We'll go for the 200t since it's only available for F-sport. For me, any future lexus must be in F sport form

By then, hopefully lexus will add something new for the 2nd year.
Thanks bud, yeah I wish the h got at the very least an F-Sport appearance package even
Old 09-23-15, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I finally got the chance to drive the new NX200t. My sisters IS was in for service so the service manager gave us his demo model he drives around in to use for lunch and then Starbucks. Wow, wow, wow and even more wow. The NX is an absolute home run and maybe even a grand slam. The car has some serious style and the interior is premium and one of the best interiors from Lexus in a long while. Now for the engine, what a superb motor. Nice and smooth, it has punch and is quiet. There is no need for a V6 in this segment. The new remote touch system is pretty nice. The ride was excellent (the Clowns at CR have no idea what they are talking about). The only real flaw about the vehicle is the need for premium fuel. But other wise it is a home run or maybe a grand slam for Lexus.

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h