Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 06:16 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Given that you've driven the 200t and 300h, which one would end up on your driveway if you had to choose?
Old 12-03-14, 06:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interior details are pretty crazy at this base price...
You think so? I think its pretty price-appropriate.
Old 12-03-14, 08:47 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
-Massive space wasted upfront as the bonnet and hood compartment is huge and is only housing a very small engine
Be prepared to see more of this "wasted" space as pedestrian crash safety standards get implemented requiring a good amount of space between the hood and the highest hard point of the engine. As well as space in front requiring longer overhang areas.
Old 12-03-14, 08:49 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You think so? I think its pretty price-appropriate.
Agree with TangoRed, there was nothing in the NX that we've had for a few weeks that blows me away. Solid entry for the segment, but nothing truly WOW or segment leading in my opinion.
Old 12-03-14, 12:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Very informative review my friend!

While there are any positive aspects in regards to the NX, from experience there too are quite a few negatives;

-Lower quality headliner and sun visor covering (harsh & grainy cloth fabrics as opposed to the usual soft and fine material)
-No door / puddle courtesy light, which is unacceptable for any luxury or premium vehicle
-Too much black on black theme
-Massive space wasted upfront as the bonnet and hood compartment is huge and is only housing a very small engine
-Door panel design, material and window switches etc are on the cheap side
Thanks,

It's by no means perfect, but as it starts to settle into the Lexus Line it should improve over new generations. This is a segment Lexus would be foolish to abandon. That said for a first effort, there are things that embarrass the RX and GX so hopefully it forces their hand and improves the latter two. One of my favorite interior colors thus far has been the Playa interior and I don't like light interiors.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Given that you've driven the 200t and 300h, which one would end up on your driveway if you had to choose?
I've been trying to avoid that question

I like both. But if I had to choose i'd probably end up with a loaded AWD Hybrid. It's fuss free, efficient, host of available technologies, good for Tahoe trips or hauling my Germans. I've been a fan of Lexus hybrids since the RX400h. Being a hybrid the the brake feel is different though I'm personally use to it. Also a big fan of the bamboo trim. It could use a 20-30hp boost certainly but it's livable to me and a better option than the CT which I've considered as a second car as well. Nothing wrong with the IS (only has 74K on it) and it's paid off, just thinking of adding another vehicle that is more usable (2IS trunk is pathetic) and I'm missing out on new tech like BTA and BSM. We'll see what happens in the coming months, revised GS/h/F, NX even the RC (rear seats fold) will be considered for my Master Lease program.

Old 12-03-14, 12:47 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems the color may be important as that dark gray makes the NX look boring and drab.
Add in the ugly wheels and the hybrid rear looks boring not having dual exhaust tips.
Another thing I don't like is the leather doesn't have double stitching.
Old 12-03-14, 01:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have a hard time with the NX 200t being some 400lbs heavier than the Rav4. 200? 250? Ok, I get it... but 400? Why? Where? How? I know the bare chassis is the only thing that's carried over, but for an SUV like this to weigh more than 4k lbs is unnecessary to me.

With the 4GS, it looked like Lexus was on mission to reduce weight but that seems to have been reversed lately. The 3IS was marginally heavier than the 2IS - 150 lbs I think? Not so bad.

NX and RC are unnecessarily heavy. Hopefully this trend does not continue.
Old 12-03-14, 01:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

great review j! good to see another positive one!!

Originally Posted by pbm317
Agree with TangoRed, there was nothing in the NX that we've had for a few weeks that blows me away. Solid entry for the segment, but nothing truly WOW or segment leading in my opinion.
i agree, at the current base price it's still a lot of car but not really that much wow imho. overall still great value though imho
Old 12-03-14, 01:54 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Is it me or does the charging mat symbol look like the Laughing Man symbol from Ghost in the Shell? LOL. Anyways, nice write up Hoovey.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-14, 02:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Those have got to be some of the smallest secondary fuel/temperature gauges I've seen. The ones in my Verano are a little small for my tastes, but the ones in the NX are only about half as large.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 02:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Enter BMW/MB at $35k and let me know what you think.
Old 12-03-14, 03:53 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great review! Can't wait for your RC F seat-time.
Old 12-03-14, 04:30 PM
DK11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be prepared to see more of this "wasted" space as pedestrian crash safety standards get implemented requiring a good amount of space between the hood and the highest hard point of the engine. As well as space in front requiring longer overhang areas.
Yep same reason why they just keep getting porkier and porkier every year. Giving a whole new meaning to functional design now..
Old 12-03-14, 06:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Seems the color may be important as that dark gray makes the NX look boring and drab.
Add in the ugly wheels and the hybrid rear looks boring not having dual exhaust tips.
Another thing I don't like is the leather doesn't have double stitching.
Nebula Gray is a nice color in person on the NX, though it's so popular its played out now. All our dealer lots are full of are black, several shades of white, silver and gray and then random exotic colors. My phone camera is really bad except on the headlight pictures which doesn't do the NX justice.

I wish the GSh had exhaust outlets

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I still have a hard time with the NX 200t being some 400lbs heavier than the Rav4. 200? 250? Ok, I get it... but 400? Why? Where? How? I know the bare chassis is the only thing that's carried over, but for an SUV like this to weigh more than 4k lbs is unnecessary to me.

With the 4GS, it looked like Lexus was on mission to reduce weight but that seems to have been reversed lately. The 3IS was marginally heavier than the 2IS - 150 lbs I think? Not so bad.

NX and RC are unnecessarily heavy. Hopefully this trend does not continue.
Not sure what else the RAV4 chassis underpins, but the RC is 1/3 GS, 1/3 IS and 1/3 IS C which makes it heavy. I imagine a lighter modular rwd/awd platform for the IS, GS and RC come next gen GS/IS

Originally Posted by rominl
great review j! good to see another positive one!!
thanks h !

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Is it me or does the charging mat symbol look like the Laughing Man symbol from Ghost in the Shell? LOL. Anyways, nice write up Hoovey.
Now that you mention it.. lol

Thanks

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those have got to be some of the smallest secondary fuel/temperature gauges I've seen. The ones in my Verano are a little small for my tastes, but the ones in the NX are only about half as large.
Lexus has used small one on several models

CT200h

HS250h

3IS F-Sport

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Great review! Can't wait for your RC F seat-time.
Thank you. Actually I can't wait for extended RC F time. I got a few minutes on the AutoX but nowhere near its actual capabilities and it's day to day drive. Hopefully soon, but you may gets yours before I can get my mitts on a non sold unit
Old 12-03-14, 08:37 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What is the NX like as a family vehicle? Specifically, what is the back seat like?

I find the RAV4's back seat to be too narrow for 3 people and also find that the rear doors do not open far enough, leaving a restricted door opening. Is the NX's rear sear wider? Is it wide enough to squeeze in 3 people? Do the doors open wider?

I do think that the NX is a little expensive, especially the Hybrid model. But I like the size and the fact that it is the closest to a wagon that I will get (I like the rear hatch and cargo area of a wagon / CUV). Do you think it is worth the premium?

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h