Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h

** Pictures on posts #11 and #12

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of experiencing the Running of the Bulls event. Got to drive the RC350 RWD and AWD, 435i, A5, RC F, M4, NX200t, NX300h, GLK and X3. My main focus was of course on the Lexus’s and the M4 (go figure ). I’ve refrained from doing any in depth reviews of the cars until I had more one on one seat time. Well the NX/h and RC/F have finally started arriving on dealer lots. One NX has already been delivered but we received 3 more none of which have been sold yet so a good time to review.

Exterior: The NX has one of the most polarizing exteriors of any SUV/CUV in the market today. It won’t be mistaken for anything else in a parking lot filled with jelly bean and roly poly shaped utes. That said, design is subjective. You either like it or you don’t. I happen to find it quite handsome in its own right, with sharp lines derived from the Lexus LF-NX concept. One of my favorite features is the optional triple LED headlights. The AFS has been moved to the LED fogs which can pivot since the headlights are fixed. The application of the Spindle grille is one of my favorites to date, the F-Sport is more flat and aggressive whereas the non F-Sport is more raked, I’d personally have a hard time choosing. The NX has a high raked beltline like most automotive designs today, which stems from the rear taillight like the IS. The plastic molding on the fenders is somewhat cheap, but better to get that scratched up than paint. Speaking of, that little piece of extending plastic on the rear fenders makes the NX legal in all 50 States to be classified as a ‘Light Truck’ and help with epa. Tricky tricky. Silver rails line the roof and add some extra contrasting colors. I was very happy to see that keyless entry is now on all doors not just the front two like the RX (). One last thing about the key, if the fob battery were to die, pull out the key shank and open the driver’s door handle which will reveal a hidden key cylinder. Lastly, the handles feel good and the doors shut with a solid thud, something I’ve complained about on recent Lexus’s. Overall a sharp package yes pun intended .

Interior: The NX interior is a fine place to be. Sitting in the driver’s seat, Lexus reverted back to a waterfall centerstack but with a fixed and exposed navigation screen like the CT and some horizontal layers over the passenger dash reminiscent of most new model Lexus’s. Most surfaces are a considerable upgrade from the CT, ES, IS and RC plastics (though the latter two have some revised trimmings for 2015). The only piece I had an issue with was the door lock/window switches/plate which are like the cheap CT and ES ones and not the nice ones found on the IS, RC, GS, RX, GX. The dash and doors have some beautiful lines, materials and designs. The fit and finish is mostly superb and assembled tightly. Once again there is no sunglass holder above, but that little compartment with the mirror has a felt lining and can act as one. Like most Lexus’s, control placement and ergonomics are nice and intuitive. Available features like powerfolding second row seats and adjustable liftgate put the current RX to shame. Still no rear passenger climate controls though. There were no powerfolding side mirrors unfortunately and I have not seen them on US spec NX’s. Another ‘detail’ is the metal screws that have a laser etched ‘Lexus’ in them, fancy! An impressive array of technology can be had on the NX if you’re willing to shell out a few more dollars. My 300h stickered just north of $50K (as I reported it would months ago ). Non hybrid NX’s with AWD have a locking differential like the RX, located by the Park Assist, BSM, powerlift gate and heated steering wheel if equipped. The new RTI touchpad is cool and works similar to your touchscreen smartphone in that you can scroll like you would a trackpad on your pc, can pinch to zoom in and out etc. It works but honestly and I’m even surprised I’m saying this I still find the current mouse a little easier to use – granted living day to day with it would overcome this I’m sure. The NX has an electronic E-Brake like the GS and LS, just set it to Auto and let it engage/disengage for you. The NX also has the nifty HOLD feature which holds the car in place (assuming seat belt in on) and lets you take your foot off the gas to reach back and grab a redbull, smack the kids, tell your mother in law to shove it.. whatever you like! Both NX h and t come with a Driver Mode Select, but the Hybrid has the extra EV mode which is useful at lower speeds. Above the single CD player there is a nice little cubby, probably for a phone which it’s not charging from the wireless charging mat in the center console. Seats bolster nicely but everything pales in comparison to a GS Luxury package 18-way power seat. Rear seat comfort is good, with little cutaways in the seat backs and roof for a little extra space. Climate control couldn’t be more straight forward though the heated and ventilated seat buttons are tiny. Gauge cluster is easy to read and has lots of information, trip, audio, nav/compass, messages etc. Lastly the glovebox is nice, big and felt lined hopefully a trend on future Lexus models since current ones are cheap to the touch and have flimsy shelves. Overall the NX cabin is very pleasant.

Drive: The NX Start/Stop Engine button is placed similarly to the IS, so it’s easy to locate. Step on the brake, press the button on the 200t and a tiny rumble awakens the NX. After idling for a bit I got out to hear outside noise. The little 2.0T isn’t exactly the quietest FI I4, but then cabin noise is fairly suppressed getting back into the car which is where it counts. The 200t uses a smooth 6-Speed automatic with seamless shifting though I wonder why no 8-Speed was offered from the start. The 200t on paper is very torquey, but in real world driving it lacks the punch I thought it would have. Not terrible just slightly disappointing. Starting the 300h is the same process as the turbo except instead of a gruff rumble an eerie silence remains and the only indication the car is on is swtichware lighting and the READY light. Depending on battery state of charge however, the little 2.5L I4 will kick on to charge the battery a few seconds to a few minutes after the car is started. From 0-30 the 300h beats the 200t, because of the instant boost of its electric motors, but after that the 200t’s turbo will power it past the hybrid at higher speeds. The 300h utilizes an eCVT which has dual planetary gear sets like other Lexus Hybrids. The result is a smooth shifting and robust transmission unlike conventional CVT’s. For what’s it’s worth, both 200t and 300h have that I4 drone especially at WOT, but they are pretty refined for what they are.

Overall Impressions: Lexus is a little late to the small CUV game, the RX has been doing double duty like the 2CTS was not too long ago, but it was worth the wait. The positives far outweigh the negatives in this instance and a new model adds more depth to the Lexus brand, especially in such a hotly contested segment. This should prove to be a winner for Lexus and a rewarding vehicle to consumers.

Suddenly I’m not sure what to lease next. A nice little AWD ute for Tahoe trips sounds appealing but then a refreshed/new GS/F is around the corner too.. . Up next a review on the RC350 and F once I get all my notes together and get more one on one time with the F

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-02-14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i heard somewhere that the "beak" like shape (overhang) of the front bumper also makes it legal to be classified as a cute ute, which is why they couldn't make the F sport shape standard.
Old 12-02-14, 05:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

picture of the area above the cd player, for storage? Thanks!
Old 12-02-14, 05:24 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RXSF
i heard somewhere that the "beak" like shape (overhang) of the front bumper also makes it legal to be classified as a cute ute, which is why they couldn't make the F sport shape standard.
Also correct

Originally Posted by spwolf
picture of the area above the cd player, for storage? Thanks!
Yessir, I got that one, will upload tonight
Old 12-02-14, 05:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to hear its a solid little SUV. We'll be seeing them everywhere soon.
Old 12-02-14, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review, Hoovey. I can see you put a lot into this write-up, just like with Mike's old 1SICKReviews, which you'll probably remember.

The plastic molding on the fenders is somewhat cheap, but better to get that scratched up than paint.
Some people do complain about vinyl lower-body cladding being cheap, but I agree with you.....it's there for a purpose, especially on gravel or on winter roads with salt and abrasives. Given my choice, I'd rather have it than not.

reach back ............. tell your mother in law to shove it..
LOL.

The 200t on paper is very torquey, but in real world driving it lacks the punch I thought it would have.
Was this an AWD model? That, of course, adds weight and drag. Also, you said the overall structure and materials seemed to feel more solid than some other recent Lexus products. That may (?) also cause a little added weight....along with more equipment on it than on the sister RAV-4 simply by the fact that it is a Lexus.

One last thing about the key, if the fob battery were to die, pull out the key shank and open the driver’s door handle which will reveal a hidden key cylinder.
I agree....a very nice emergency feature. (I'll look for that when I do my own NX review, coming up). Just this morning, I was in the indoor pool, on my daily swim, with a colleague of mine there, when he complained that the fob for new Buick Lacrosse failed (he accidentally ran it through the wash machine) and, with the LaCrosse's push-button ignition, there was no way to open the doors or start the engine with that fob---he had to go get the other one. His car didn't have a back-up emergency cylinder like the one you mentioned....and the alternative would have been a call to OnStar.

Since you've more or less partly-covered both of the versions here, I'll concentrate on the 200t. That version will also probably be easier to find in stock than the 300h....and we're still waiting for the first NX models to arrive here.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 05:53 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

First class review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts as I'm sure perspective buyers/members will find it of value as I sure did.

Thinking back on your time with it, how do you think it will do as a daily driver? Easy of getting in out, visibility when parking etc.
Old 12-02-14, 08:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice review Hoovey. As with you, about the only thing I found "cheap" was the window switch panel. But besides that, interior is top notch for the price range.

My understanding is the fog lights on the F-Sport are fixed (non-AFS). However, they provide "AFS-like" lighting due to their angled design and positioning illuminating the sides and front of the road.

How was the ride comfort and handling? And NVH in between the IS and RX (is my expectation)?
Old 12-02-14, 08:08 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I read that (see below) to be classed as a light truck in North America (and so not be subject to the same strict fuel efficiency rules as cars under CAFE), vehicles have to have a certain approach angle, which explains the slope of the lower front bumper of the vehicle.

I have noticed this approach angle especially on the North American Lexus RX, Honda CR-V and now NX. If you look at pictures of North American and European versions of the same models, you will see that the European versions have a lower front bumper.

That is too bad. I like the look of the lower front bumper on the RX F-Sport and the similar look on the Euro versions of the CR-V and NX.

Why the disparity between the two designs? According to Top Gear Philippines, the reason why the US gets the more pointy proboscis is because of its classification as a light truck. It seems trucks are required to have some sort of concession to the car's approach angle – in other words, a truck should be able to clear an obstacle that a car might hit. Why does Lexus care if the NX is a car or truck? Well, that has to do with how fuel economy is reported, as trucks are given less-stringent requirements for Corporate Average Fuel Economy purposes.
Source: Here's why our Lexus NX is uglier than the rest of the world's
Old 12-02-14, 08:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Good to hear its a solid little SUV. We'll be seeing them everywhere soon.
Certainly, I can see it being a hot commodity and setting itself up for being a core model in Lexus's future occupation in the small CUV segment

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice review, Hoovey. I can see you put a lot into this write-up, just like with Mike's old 1SICKReviews, which you'll probably remember.
Thanks Marshall

Some people do complain about vinyl lower-body cladding being cheap, but I agree with you.....it's there for a purpose, especially on gravel or on winter roads with salt and abrasives. Given my choice, I'd rather have it than not.
Agree. And though 96% of them will only ever dwell the city and suburban streets, that cladding gives it that 'rough' edge derived from the original BOF SUVs that dawned them before the NX

Was this an AWD model? That, of course, adds weight and drag. Also, you said the overall structure and materials seemed to feel more solid than some other recent Lexus products. That may (?) also cause a little added weight....along with more equipment on it than on the sister RAV-4 simply by the fact that it is a Lexus.
Yes both were AWD models, but I personally would never get the FWD ones. Torque steer was evident on a FWD example at the drive event. And correct, NX is a few hundred more pounds than the RAV4

I agree....a very nice emergency feature. (I'll look for that when I do my own NX review, coming up). Just this morning, I was in the indoor pool, on my daily swim, with a colleague of mine there, when he complained that the fob for new Buick Lacrosse failed (he accidentally ran it through the wash machine) and, with the LaCrosse's push-button ignition, there was no way to open the doors or start the engine with that fob---he had to go get the other one. His car didn't have a back-up emergency cylinder like the one you mentioned....and the alternative would have been a call to OnStar.
Oh wow, yeah Lexus has a good system. Say the key shank gets you in the car, even if the fob battery is dead, by pressing the fob against the start button, the physical touch is able to transmit the signal to start the car. GM should rethink their system.

Since you've more or less partly-covered both of the versions here, I'll concentrate on the 200t. That version will also probably be easier to find in stock than the 300h....and we're still waiting for the first NX models to arrive here.
I look forward to your take

Originally Posted by TripleL
First class review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts as I'm sure perspective buyers/members will find it of value as I sure did.

Thinking back on your time with it, how do you think it will do as a daily driver? Easy of getting in out, visibility when parking etc.
Thanks L!

The NX fits like a glove. Similar to your Macan I'd imagine. It's right sized for a couples date night, two car seats, bringing home a new flatscreen etc.. agile handling when in AWD form (FWD suffers from torque steer) and gives confidence in corners once thought to be instant wallowing Lexus death. Like the RX the rear pillar is a little blind due to the styling and while I always turn my head out of repetitive nature, the BSM alleviates any worries. Turning radius is nice and tidy. Brakes could always be better but they were effective. Good ground clearance and no awkward entry make the in's and out's a breeze.
Old 12-02-14, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

Default Exterior

Last edited by Hoovey689; 12-02-14 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 08:51 PM
Hoovey689

Old 12-02-14, 09:04 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice review Hoovey. As with you, about the only thing I found "cheap" was the window switch panel. But besides that, interior is top notch for the price range.

My understanding is the fog lights on the F-Sport are fixed (non-AFS). However, they provide "AFS-like" lighting due to their angled design and positioning illuminating the sides and front of the road.

How was the ride comfort and handling? And NVH in between the IS and RX (is my expectation)?
Hmm perhaps I heard them wrong during training.

Handles taught in AWD guise, and absorbed bumps silently. Cabin is isolated for the most part but I could hear I4 drone when at WOT. Similar to your CT. The larger profile tires than the IS also give it better NVH IMO and honestly I'd say it's equal to the current RX. I felt the 3RX became less isolated and had more booming noise than the 2RX partly because the 3RX bore some of the 2010 cheapening materials that also affected the 2GX in MY2010. Weird answer lol but I'm sure the 4RX will be everything and then some, capitalizing on it's strong suits.

Originally Posted by Sulu
I read that (see below) to be classed as a light truck in North America (and so not be subject to the same strict fuel efficiency rules as cars under CAFE), vehicles have to have a certain approach angle, which explains the slope of the lower front bumper of the vehicle.

I have noticed this approach angle especially on the North American Lexus RX, Honda CR-V and now NX. If you look at pictures of North American and European versions of the same models, you will see that the European versions have a lower front bumper.

That is too bad. I like the look of the lower front bumper on the RX F-Sport and the similar look on the Euro versions of the CR-V and NX.

Source: Here's why our Lexus NX is uglier than the rest of the world's
Yeah, I think there's even a thread in the NX section taking a poll on the different versions and the vast majority like the Euro one too
Old 12-03-14, 04:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

interior details are pretty crazy at this base price...
Old 12-03-14, 05:11 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very informative review my friend!

While there are any positive aspects in regards to the NX, from experience there too are quite a few negatives;

-Lower quality headliner and sun visor covering (harsh & grainy cloth fabrics as opposed to the usual soft and fine material)
-No door / puddle courtesy light, which is unacceptable for any luxury or premium vehicle
-Too much black on black theme
-Massive space wasted upfront as the bonnet and hood compartment is huge and is only housing a very small engine
-Door panel design, material and window switches etc are on the cheap side

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: Lexus NX 200t/300h