Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus pay for this service? v. Stealership rant

Old 12-04-14, 11:19 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
That's true. Another misconception that you have to service the car where you bought it from. That one is my favorite

Dealer is useless and evil IMO, I hope Elon Musk can successfully pave the road to a future without car dealer. He is my hero.
and I like a game of football with no coach and no quarterback. Heck, no teams either. Just 22 guys on the field and the one who scores the most goals is the winner.

Seriously, no matter what you do, humans are masters of creating order, hierarchy, layers of byo͝oˈräkrəsē, control, et al.

Even if Elon shakes everything up, and takes away the concept of a dealership, sooner than later, another structure will show up.
Old 12-04-14, 12:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
and I like a game of football with no coach and no quarterback. Heck, no teams either. Just 22 guys on the field and the one who scores the most goals is the winner.

Seriously, no matter what you do, humans are masters of creating order, hierarchy, layers of byo͝oˈräkrəsē, control, et al.

Even if Elon shakes everything up, and takes away the concept of a dealership, sooner than later, another structure will show up.
That's true.

Is just that the current structure is a total scam, we need a new structure.

I guess it doesn't really apply to me, the dealer never see my cars. I am scare to even park in their lot, afraid they can find a way to scam me
Old 12-05-14, 04:44 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why do you think it is a scam?
Old 12-08-14, 09:51 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you put up a diagram of the fuel rail and show us the bolt that is likely to sheared off?
I'm not sure what you're asking here? I certainly don't have a diagram of OP's car. Usually with fuel rail leaks, it's a weld that fails. I've seen this problem most commonly on older Porsche models, like the 928, where an improperly fitted bolt or washer will cause the fuel rail to be susceptible to vibrations causing a weld to fail.

I agree that a fuel rail bolt probably should not shear under normal operation; I was responding to OP's (incorrect) assertion that a fuel rail is never subject to any stress - especially in the context that I inferred from OP's posts that the car was not undergoing routine maintenance (OP has since clarified that the car has been serviced).

Last edited by gengar; 12-08-14 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-08-14, 10:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Elon charges $600 for yearly "inspection" of EV that requires no servicing... I have no idea why do you think that charges anything. It removes the owner of the dealership, but dealership still stays. Just big corporate owner instead of local guys.
Old 12-08-14, 10:50 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusNN
Why do you think it is a scam?
Inspection charge for a driveshaft bolts that never loosen by itself, they don't even look at it since it never loosen by itself. Free money for no work, I call that a scam.

Double dipping as shown by this thread.

Not responsible for damage that they did.

It goes on and on..................
Old 12-09-14, 10:45 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gengar
I'm not sure what you're asking here? I certainly don't have a diagram of OP's car. Usually with fuel rail leaks, it's a weld that fails. I've seen this problem most commonly on older Porsche models, like the 928, where an improperly fitted bolt or washer will cause the fuel rail to be susceptible to vibrations causing a weld to fail.

I agree that a fuel rail bolt probably should not shear under normal operation; I was responding to OP's (incorrect) assertion that a fuel rail is never subject to any stress - especially in the context that I inferred from OP's posts that the car was not undergoing routine maintenance (OP has since clarified that the car has been serviced).
I was addressing the problem in question here. Can a bolt on a fuel rail shear off just because of engine stresses or does it require the intervention of inept technicians to make it happen?
Old 12-09-14, 03:44 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Most likely the last mechanic installed it with a airtool & crossthreaded the bolt. Bolt sheared(broke) during removal. If current dealership was last shop to do recall before, they should just replace it without bothering owner. Mechanics like service writers that try to get customers to pay for mechanic mistakes. Go to the dealer & look at the damaged parts, it's probablly obvious what happened. Take pictures & send to Lexus!
Old 12-09-14, 05:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I was addressing the problem in question here. Can a bolt on a fuel rail shear off just because of engine stresses
No.

or does it require the intervention of inept technicians to make it happen?
Yes.
Old 12-11-14, 01:49 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I was addressing the problem in question here. Can a bolt on a fuel rail shear off just because of engine stresses or does it require the intervention of inept technicians to make it happen?
I already answered that in what you quoted. Obviously it doesn't require inept technicians specifically, but the evidence as presented by the OP would suggest that's the most likely cause.
Old 12-12-14, 06:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gw2405
Thanks for the wise words everyone
I contacted another Lexus dealership that competes with this one and the service manager said in his career, he's never seen a bolt on a fuel rail shear off, and they see roughly 60cars a day. He suggested I contact the general manager and raise stink to see what they're willing to do...

I'll try to see if I can somehow get a photo of this elusive sheared bolt somehow
Why not just take it to the other dealer then?
Old 12-12-14, 07:53 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

^ cuz Lexus is not going to pay for this repair. The dealer that broke this part has to.
Old 12-12-14, 09:22 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^ cuz Lexus is not going to pay for this repair. The dealer that broke this part has to.
right. duh
Old 12-12-14, 09:30 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Stealerships are just good for the free donuts/coffee, swag and free loaners. If you're ever going to have anything done, you'll be better off going to an Independent Mechanic, save some money. Unless the stealer offers a free oil change with your car, then nevermind.