Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should Lexus pay for this service? v. Stealership rant

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 07:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That part always bugs me - charging for labour for a service where another service already requires certain parts removed. Why am I being charged twice for labour (e.g. brake inspection service and tire rotation. They both require the tires to be taken off but I'll get charged labour twice as if they were two separate jobs where the tire is put back on after rotation then taken off again for "brake inspection").
Old 12-02-14, 09:44 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
If you don't think that a production vehicle driven for years and thousands of miles in wildly varying environmental conditions on public roads can't undergo the same stresses that a production vehicle goes through in an hour on a track, then you haven't worked on too many cars.

In any case, welcome to CL and hope you get the assistance you need.
Can you put up a diagram of the fuel rail and show us the bolt that is likely to sheared off?
Old 12-02-14, 09:50 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Who needs an exec? Publicly shame them on Facebook...
Old 12-02-14, 10:21 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if this is how Lexus runs their repair shops, but Certified mechanics at most dealerships are not employed by them, but work as a kind of contractor that bids on the jobs for repairs as they also have their own tools. They are paid a flat rate for the warranty/recall work at the end of each week or month, but additional repairs are quotes from the Mechanics themselves. You may get a different story if you take it to another dealership.
Old 12-02-14, 02:16 PM
gw2405
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the wise words everyone
I contacted another Lexus dealership that competes with this one and the service manager said in his career, he's never seen a bolt on a fuel rail shear off, and they see roughly 60cars a day. He suggested I contact the general manager and raise stink to see what they're willing to do...

I'll try to see if I can somehow get a photo of this elusive sheared bolt somehow
Old 12-02-14, 02:54 PM
darkgt23
Driver School Candidate

yea I worked at a dealership for a while its just a big money making scheme there are like 3-5 really good guys in the shop and the rest are just idiots still get charged the same no matter which one does it. and it pays book time no matter how long it takes to get done.
Old 12-02-14, 04:30 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If it broke off during the process of the recall then they should goodwill it or contact their service rep to see if lexus will goodwill it. They may ask for you to pay for part of it.
It wasnt broken when you went in and only broke when the recall was done.
And when they ask about service history, they mean the vehicles history at a lexus dealer to see if you are a good candidate for goodwill.
Goodwill is used for customers that have a good chance to purchase a lexus in the future.

Just speak with the manager and request goodwll or request goodwill from corporate.
Old 12-02-14, 05:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by darkgt23
yea I worked at a dealership for a while its just a big money making scheme there are like 3-5 really good guys in the shop and the rest are just idiots still get charged the same no matter which one does it. and it pays book time no matter how long it takes to get done.
Yes sir, dealer's service is totally lame, yet the general public think it is the best place for their cars. So funny.

Genuinely good mechanic don't work at a dealer.
Old 12-02-14, 05:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusNN
If it broke off during the process of the recall then they should goodwill it or contact their service rep to see if lexus will goodwill it. They may ask for you to pay for part of it.
It wasnt broken when you went in and only broke when the recall was done.
And when they ask about service history, they mean the vehicles history at a lexus dealer to see if you are a good candidate for goodwill.
Goodwill is used for customers that have a good chance to purchase a lexus in the future.

Just speak with the manager and request goodwll or request goodwill from corporate.
Goodwill is used for customers that regularly willingly to be rip off by the regularly routine maintenance.
Old 12-02-14, 06:42 PM
gw2405
Driver School Candidate

Sent a strong email to the GM. Couple minutes later I get a call from the dealer, he spoke with his service guy, the engineering tech, and so on..sent pics of the sheared bolt to Lexus corp, etc.. And requested them to "help" me. He said it should be positive.
I'm looking forward to a call from Jimmy at Lexus by tomorrow to see just what they're willing to do...
Old 12-02-14, 11:29 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i can sympathize. I've never had a car with so many recalls and TSBs.

I even missed a few TSBs, and my option is either to cut off my arm to pay for it, or live with it.

At this point, I don't care much about the car anymore. But sometimes I wonder if the grass is greener on the dark side.
Old 12-03-14, 04:41 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BNR34
Goodwill is used for customers that regularly willingly to be rip off by the regularly routine maintenance.
That's exactly what I said..
Without the rip off part
Old 12-03-14, 05:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

That's exactly what I said..
Without the rip off part
Oh yes you did, I didn't see the first part, sorry. I just saw the 2nd part where you said is for customers that have a good chance to purchase a lexus in the future.

I think they make a lot more money from regular routine rip off (maintenance) then from selling a new car.
Old 12-03-14, 08:36 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

No problem, and service is the backbone of the dealership. But the more cars you sell, the more service you will get.
Old 12-04-14, 10:49 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

No problem, and service is the backbone of the dealership. But the more cars you sell, the more service you will get.
That's true. Another misconception that you have to service the car where you bought it from. That one is my favorite

Dealer is useless and evil IMO, I hope Elon Musk can successfully pave the road to a future without car dealer. He is my hero.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-04-14 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Should Lexus pay for this service? v. Stealership rant