Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Roll Out Brand New Active Safety Package from 2015

Old 12-01-14, 12:58 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus to Roll Out Brand New Active Safety Package from 2015

Torrance, Calif, Nov. 28, 2014 -- In line with the ultimate aim of eliminating traffic fatalities and injuries, Lexus will next year launch the "Lexus Safety System +" package, a newly-developed set of active safety technologies designed to help prevent or mitigate collisions across a wide range of vehicle speeds. While Lexus vehicles already feature a wide range of safety technologies and systems based on the Integrated Safety Management Concept1, this latest package is aimed at further encouraging the uptake of safety technologies and will therefore be rolled out across all Lexus models in Japan, North America and Europe by the end of 2017.

Lexus Safety System + integrates several of Lexus's existing active safety technologies: the Pre-Collision System (PCS) helps prevent and mitigate collisions; Lane Departure Alert (LDA) helps prevent vehicles from departing from their lanes; and Automatic High Beam (AHB) helps ensure optimal forward visibility during nighttime driving. As part of a multi-faceted approach to active safety, the Lexus Safety System + package combines millimeter-wave radar with a camera, achieving high reliability and performance.

Lexus Safety System +

Lexus Safety System + combines LDA, AHB, PCS with a pedestrian detection function, and Radar Cruise Control.

Pre-collision System with pedestrian detection function (PCS)
This system uses millimeter-wave radar and a camera to detect pedestrians in addition to vehicles. To help prevent or mitigate collisions, the system activates an audio and visual alert in addition to brake assist, followed by automated braking if the driver does not brake in time. Automated braking operates at relative speeds of between 10 to 80 km/h for potential collisions with pedestrians, and can reduce speed by approximately 30 km/h2. For potential collisions with vehicles, the PCS system operates at relative speeds of between 10 km/h and the vehicle's top speed, reducing speed by approximately 40 km/h3.

Lane Departure Alert (LDA)
LDA uses a camera to detect white and yellow lane markings. If the vehicle starts to deviate from a lane, LDA alerts the driver with an audio-visual alert and steering wheel vibration. Some vehicles are also equipped with Lane Keep Assist, which controls power steering to make it easier for the driver to remain within lane markings.

Automatic High Beam (AHB)
AHB helps ensure excellent forward visibility during nighttime driving. It uses a camera to detect the headlights of oncoming vehicles and the tail lights of vehicles ahead, and then automatically switches between high beams and low beams so as not to dazzle other drivers.

Radar Cruise Control
On highways, Radar Cruise Control uses millimeter-wave radar to detect preceding vehicles and determine their speed. It then adjusts vehicle speed (within a set range) to ensure that there is a safe distance between vehicles. By using a forward-facing camera and millimeter-wave radar to monitor vehicles moving into or out of the lane, Radar Cruise Control helps maintain smooth acceleration and deceleration while driving.

Aside from pedestrian detection, I'm guessing the others isn't really new to Lexus in North America (particularly the LS)? It seems that this press release is simply saying that they're going to offer this suite of technology to all Lexus models (standard or optional) by 2017.
Old 12-01-14, 01:53 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it odd that the LX 570 does not offer Lane departure alert or a blind spot monitoring system.......
Old 12-01-14, 02:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I find it odd that the LX 570 does not offer Lane departure alert or a blind spot monitoring system.......
it's old. you can't get these safety technologies on the GX either except as special order.
Old 12-01-14, 07:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

So basically this news release solves the issue in the LX and GX? Those two models will get the new active safety systems.
Old 12-01-14, 08:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Aside from pedestrian detection, I'm guessing the others isn't really new to Lexus in North America (particularly the LS)? It seems that this press release is simply saying that they're going to offer this suite of technology to all Lexus models (standard or optional) by 2017.
What is new:
- Much more advanced systems
- Much more affordable
- Available on all Lexus vehicles

For instance, automated (city) braking works at speeds up to 50 mph, while previous systems worked at much less. IIHS tests 12mph and 25mph as set speeds for it to work, because most of them dont work after that.

Toyota also announced new parking system from 2015, that uses same components as well as new adaptive LED system.
Old 12-01-14, 10:34 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
What is new:
- Much more advanced systems
- Much more affordable
- Available on all Lexus vehicles

For instance, automated (city) braking works at speeds up to 50 mph, while previous systems worked at much less. IIHS tests 12mph and 25mph as set speeds for it to work, because most of them dont work after that.

Toyota also announced new parking system from 2015, that uses same components as well as new adaptive LED system.
Thanks!

Yeah I've seen videos from Fifth Gear as well on AEBs. Some don't work at higher speeds or if they do, they are speed reductions and will still collide with the vehicle in front.

Oh that's interesting. I don't think Toyota will continue with IPA/APGS here since the reception hasn't been that favourable (It's still continued in the Prius v but it's been replaced with a HUD in the Prius since 2012.
Old 12-02-14, 03:37 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Strangely enough, it is offered on the Land Cruiser 200 on the highest-end VXR models (at least when I was browsing Toyota UAE website a while ago)

Other comments:

-AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM (AHB)
This feature is already available in the Lexus GS for Japan and Europe................but I guess in America, this feature is only coming soon.
Old 12-02-14, 04:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Thanks!

Yeah I've seen videos from Fifth Gear as well on AEBs. Some don't work at higher speeds or if they do, they are speed reductions and will still collide with the vehicle in front.

Oh that's interesting. I don't think Toyota will continue with IPA/APGS here since the reception hasn't been that favourable (It's still continued in the Prius v but it's been replaced with a HUD in the Prius since 2012.
all of them are very limiting, and they are advancing quickly... Best system right now is Mercedes from this year that can detect pedestrians and brake at speeds of 72kmh, and cars 105kmh... new Toyota system does pedestrians at 80kmh, and unlimited speed for cars..

As to the IPA, they just announced brand new system, so I bet it is going to go into many cars. It can use brakes on its own now if needed and it can back into the spot. Uses same car systems as above.
Old 12-02-14, 04:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
This feature is already available in the Lexus GS for Japan and Europe................but I guess in America, this feature is only coming soon.
This is now integrated into single safety package at low price. Venza is the first car of any brand that had this (as much as I know), back when it launched. So it was first introduced in USA actually.

Toyota Japan said two systems - one large/expensive cars, and one for small/cheap cars. They expect one for the Yaris to be something like $300-350 in Japan. Thats very, very low pricing for all of these.
Old 12-02-14, 04:59 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

They're a bit late with this, Nissan have been offering these systems as an integrated package for a year or so, across their range. We've just picked up a Qashqai and for an extra £450 ($675 ish) we got the Smartvision pack that includes front and rear parking sensors, auto high beam, collision mitigation radar, lane departure alert and traffic sign recognition camera. It all works very well but the main reason car companies are offering them now is that it boosts their NCAP ratings.
Old 12-02-14, 05:28 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Strangely enough, it is offered on the Land Cruiser 200 on the highest-end VXR models (at least when I was browsing Toyota UAE website a while ago)

Other comments:

The blind spot system is still not offered on the LC from the factory ( OEM )

It is dealer installed, the UAE and some of the other GCC dealers are known for locally installed parts;
- Aftermarket air compressor
- Extra LED's on the bumper
- Dvd screens in the back
- Extra chrome
- Nav + rear cameras for vehicles that come without these options
- The latest addition = Blind spot detection. It even has a * next to it on the website to indicate it is dealer installed.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 12-02-14 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 01:52 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

AHB

Is't this old tech from Caddys and Lincolns from way back yonder?
Old 12-03-14, 03:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
They're a bit late with this, Nissan have been offering these systems as an integrated package for a year or so, across their range. We've just picked up a Qashqai and for an extra £450 ($675 ish) we got the Smartvision pack that includes front and rear parking sensors, auto high beam, collision mitigation radar, lane departure alert and traffic sign recognition camera. It all works very well but the main reason car companies are offering them now is that it boosts their NCAP ratings.
Yep... they had them as part of various packages tho.

Point of this is that it will be available on ALL cars (so Aygo/Yaris too), plus it is most advanced system out there (Nissan works up to 80kmh, this works up until fastest speed car can go), and plus it should be $300-350 on compact cars. On big cars, more advanced system will also have radar cruise control built in for all together $500.

You are right about EuroNCAP, but the pricing is the key here. 2-3 years ago these things were $1500-2000. With prices falling to $300-350, it is a must have.

There was a survey in Europe about how many people got these packages on available vehicles in 2013, it was something like 0.2%
Old 12-03-14, 04:48 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The automatic high beam was on the RX years ago and then taken off for some reason??? Now it's back I guess
Old 12-03-14, 04:57 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusNN
The automatic high beam was on the RX years ago and then taken off for some reason??? Now it's back I guess
Auto high beam has been on various Toyota and Lexus models for long time now... they are "just" making it part of package that will be on every single model sold (available), and all together wrapped into nice low price.

For instance in Europe, our Corolla/Auris have auto high beam available on many models, but smaller cars like Aygo and even Yaris dont have these options available because they were too expensive.

Of course, new system might actually have better camera and work better, as usually newer systems do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus to Roll Out Brand New Active Safety Package from 2015