Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

ATF inspection only for life of car? Any high milers here who have never drained ATF?

Old 12-01-14, 12:22 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ATF inspection only for life of car? Any high milers here who have never drained ATF?

so every lexus made this century only requires inspection of transmission fluid, no drain/replace?

I see lexus website recommends inspection at 30k 60k 90k... and then 150k.

What am I supposed to inspect for ?
Old 12-01-14, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

What am I supposed to inspect for ?

With most conventional torque-converter automatic transmission fluids, look for a relatively clear, reddish fluid-condition that doesn't show any signs of burning/overheating, darkening, foul odors, opaqueness, or excessive amounts of materials in it which could indicate wearing off internal transmission parts. Some newer transmissions, sad to say, don't even have a drain plug...it can be difficult to even get to the fluid itself.
Old 12-01-14, 05:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With most conventional torque-converter automatic transmission fluids, look for a relatively clear, reddish fluid-condition that doesn't show any signs of burning/overheating, darkening, foul odors, opaqueness, or excessive amounts of materials in it which could indicate wearing off internal transmission parts. Some newer transmissions, sad to say, don't even have a drain plug...it can be difficult to even get to the fluid itself.
All transmissions have drain plug, they are just hidden to make you think is not there.

So you would buy a new car instead of making the tranny last longer
Old 12-01-14, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BNR34
All transmissions have drain plug, they are just hidden to make you think is not there.
Actually, no, there ARE vehicles without automatic transmission drain-plugs.....even from Lexus.

Here's a good article, BTW, on how to deal with at least one of them.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...4075904AAt38jj

So you would buy a new car instead of making the tranny last longer
There are a number of things one can do to make the transmission last longer, such as breaking it in properly on a new car, driving sensibly, not shifting up or down at too high or too low engine RPM (many computer-controlled transmissions prevent this), not putting too much weight in the car or towing something too heavy, not trying to rock the car back and forth too much if stuck in snow, and, of course, not doing silly stuff like burnouts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-01-14 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-01-14, 06:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, no, there ARE vehicles without automatic transmission drain-plugs.....even from Lexus.
I always find the drain plug on every cars that are commonly known to not have a drain plug, they put a cover over it so it is not easily seen

Think about it. A drain plug is always necessary and nice to have, why would they not put one in?

They lied and tell the general public there is no drain plug so people won't change the fluid.

Deception for financial gain, understand?

Don't believe everything you read.

Last edited by BNR34; 12-01-14 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:38 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

or excessive amounts of materials in it which could indicate wearing off internal transmission parts. Some newer transmissions, sad to say, don't even have a drain plug...it can be difficult to even get to the fluid itself.
so I'm supposed to use the drain plug, or will the dip stick tell me all that ? one of my cars still has the dip stick

Last edited by pman6; 12-02-14 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i just had the atf replaced on my '06 explorer at 100k. i think that's ford's recommendation anyway, but either way i don't care. after 100k i want fresh fluid!
Old 12-02-14, 04:36 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My old jaguar had a "sealed" transfer case. Some guys on the forum, including me, opened it up from the fill point in an attempt to suck out the fluid and put in new fluid. We all found them to be completely dry. All of the fluids had disappeared through heat or some other way. The gears were just grinding on eachother with no lubrication.
Old 12-02-14, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pman6
so I'm supposed to use the drain plug, or will the dip stick tell me all that ? one of my cars still has the dip stick

Though not the best answer, the dipstick, to some extent, will give you some clues. If the fluid is relatively clear and reddish, as it should be, you will probably see the notches or markings through it on the stick. And if there is a burnt smell, you can probably detect it if you get your nose close enough to it.

Some places try to sell transmission flushes, where a pressure-machine pumps detergent all through the transmission to restore its internal cleanliness to virtually new condition. (Pat Goss, of TV's Motorweek, is a big proponent of doing that every few years). The idea behind that is that, on a typical transmission fluid drain/replacement, even with a new filter, some of the old fluid and dirt/sediment doesn't all get out, and remains in the transmission contaminating the new added fluid. I agree that flushing, if done correctly, can keep the transmission in better shape, but it is costly, risky, and, if not done right, can either inadequately clean the transmission with too little pump-pressure or damage seals and valves with to much pressure. And, if a transmission is very old, with a lot of miles on it, really dirty inside, and has never been flushed or had new fluid, flushing can cause leaks that weren't there before by blowing out pieces of old or corroded seal/gasket material until it looks like Swiss Cheese.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-14 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 01:00 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

You'll not likely hear from any hi-milers who have never drained the ATF - if you do their transmissions will be on their last legs. Even full synthetic fluid will deteriorate significantly by 30,000 miles and be gross looking and feeling by 100,000 miles. On Camry forums, some 6-speed automatic owners have been reporting transmission failure at under 100,000 miles.
Old 12-03-14, 02:23 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW started with the lifetime fluid, and eventually changed it to 90k fluid, I think all the cars rolling out with lifetime fluid, usually require a fluid change at 75-90k.

My buddy has an 09 Camry with 120k on the 6speed auto, still shift fine, Im wondering when its gonna have issues and if he should change/drain the fluid.
Old 12-03-14, 03:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
BMW started with the lifetime fluid, and eventually changed it to 90k fluid, I think all the cars rolling out with lifetime fluid, usually require a fluid change at 75-90k.

My buddy has an 09 Camry with 120k on the 6speed auto, still shift fine, Im wondering when its gonna have issues and if he should change/drain the fluid.
Yup, Toyota's definition of "lifetime" is 100k miles.

So it is very true and accurate that the fluid don't have to be change and the tranny would function perfectly to 100k miles.

It is only for folks like me that want the tranny to last to 200k, 300k that need to change the fluid.
Old 12-03-14, 10:47 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even with "lifetime" fluids, I've changed them all at least once by 30k. MB had lifetime fill on my dad's old S500. They refused to touch it until it started having issues at 45k. Never the same after that. My FJ has had 2 drain/fills so far and now its at 55k. My S550 had a complete flush around 30k. The Explorer had drain /fill at 75k and again at 95k. I ignore that nonsense and take care of it like older transmissions.
Old 12-04-14, 07:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how much to get a transmission flush for the 2008 IS250?
Old 12-04-14, 10:46 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by T0ked
Even with "lifetime" fluids, I've changed them all at least once by 30k. MB had lifetime fill on my dad's old S500. They refused to touch it until it started having issues at 45k. Never the same after that. My FJ has had 2 drain/fills so far and now its at 55k. My S550 had a complete flush around 30k. The Explorer had drain /fill at 75k and again at 95k. I ignore that nonsense and take care of it like older transmissions.
That nonsense make sense if you buy a new car every 50k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ATF inspection only for life of car? Any high milers here who have never drained ATF?