Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Replacing the Town Car as the Limo of Choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-14, 10:56 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Replacing the Town Car as the Limo of Choice

A local limousine company that serves a large airport uses high-end Suburbans to transport commercial and private aircrews because they often have large loads of luggage. Meanwhile, the Town Cars this company has used for years for their executive clients and high-rollers are being replaced due to old age. But how do you replace a vehicle that isn't being manufactured any more?

They have 15 2015 Hyundai Genesis on order, due January 1.

This represents a first in the local limo market - the first non-US vehicles in the local limo fleets. Indicative of things to come? I think so.

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-26-14 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 11:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I see a lot of Lincoln MKZ's and MKT's around here being used as limos/livery's)

I hope I got those designations right - They still confuse me.
Old 11-26-14, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I recently reviewed both the Genesis 5.0L and the Kia K900. By Limo standards, the Genesis would probably make a good one.....but the K900 even better.

Some limo firms, though (and this doesn't surprise me a bit) love their Town Cars and DTS's so much that they have simply dispensed with the new-car market and, instead, are spending the money to overhaul and/or restore their old ones.
Old 11-26-14, 11:56 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I know one local limo company, after they quit making the Town Car, didn't have a clue what to buy. So far I've seen the following in their fleet in addition to the standard Suburbans, Expiditions, Navigators, etc

A Lexus LS460 long wheel-base
A Benz S550 long wheel-base
A Lincoln MKS(not sure if they make a long wheelbase of this Ford Taurus rebadge)
A Caddy XTS long wheel base
A Hyundai Equus
A Ford Flex
An extremely ugly Lincoln version of the Flex
A Jag XJ long wheel base

I can't imagine they bought that Jag and Benz new though, those are both 100k+. I think their thought process is buy one of everything and see what they like in terms of passenger/luggage space and cost of ownership. I can tell you right now, except for the wagon Ford Flex, none of those are going to have as big of a trunk as the old Town Car. Or be nearly as cheap to maintain as the old Town Car.
Old 11-26-14, 12:06 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car of choice I see replacing the Town Car in the NYC black car limo scene is the Lincoln MKT (the one with the ugly wagon profile sloping rear and rear lights that reassemble a Cylon). Seemingly overnight, there are fleets upon fleets of these suckers. Wonder if there's also a huge fleet discount through ford.
Old 11-26-14, 12:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
The car of choice I see replacing the Town Car in the NYC black car limo scene is the Lincoln MKT (the one with the ugly wagon profile sloping rear and rear lights that reassemble a Cylon). Seemingly overnight, there are fleets upon fleets of these suckers. Wonder if there's also a huge fleet discount through ford.
I'd imagine so. I think the other reason you see so many is that they seat 7 and get better mpg's than the big Escalades, Navigators, etc

Plus it would be fun to gun one of those in Manhattan, with that twin turbo Ecoboost V6 under the hood, they'd straight up boogie past any plebian yellow cab.
Old 11-26-14, 03:43 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I see a lot of Lincoln MKZ's and MKT's around here being used as limos/livery's)

I hope I got those designations right - They still confuse me.
I have seen 3 stretch limo versions of both models here in SoCA.
Old 11-26-14, 05:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I remember a lot of Benz E-Class's in Singapore 'Maxi Cabs'

Old 11-26-14, 08:21 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

One of the airport limo companies here in Toronto, Ontario, Canada uses black ES Hybrids.
Old 11-26-14, 08:23 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T0ked
I believe that the MKT is Ford's replacement for the black car fleet that used to be owned by the Town Car.
Old 11-27-14, 12:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The MKT is indeed the model passed on to limo fleets. However, all the ones I've seen in L.A. were not stretched. Just all black with tinted windows and the livery stickers on the rear bumper.

I don't think there's been a sufficient replacement for the Town Car or Fleetwood. I say this because part of the coolness and mystery of limo riding has been the climb out of one, where one rides low and steps UP when exiting. Getting out of an SUV "limo" requires a step down, which counters the whole rich thing.
Old 11-27-14, 03:26 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I know a local car service company here in NY that uses 2014 Lexus ES's instead of Camry's like other companies.

All car services are switching to smaller and more fuel efficient cars. Just like taxis in NY are mostly hybrids now. And even city cops replaced their crown vics with hybrid Altimas.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 11-27-14 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-27-14, 05:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7

I don't think there's been a sufficient replacement for the Town Car or Fleetwood.
Certainly not the MKT.
Old 11-27-14, 08:27 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't think there's been a sufficient replacement for the Town Car or Fleetwood.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Certainly not the MKT.
Whatever happened to the livery version of the Caddy XTS? Is the XTS being used in black car fleets?

Cadillac XTS lineup expands to livery, limo and hearse models
Cadillac has announced a trio of new specialty vehicles based on the 2013 XTS, including a livery sedan, limousine, and 'funeral coach' (read: hearse).
Old 11-27-14, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Was just in NYC for a couple nights and saw a lot of MKTs (the fleet versions even have "TownCar" emblems on the front doors), a LOT of new S550s, a couple LS460s. Did see one stretch XTS...didnt work IMHO

Quick Reply: Replacing the Town Car as the Limo of Choice