Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bought an Audi A7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 06:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Bought an Audi A7 today

No, didn't get rid of our GS, I bought a new car to replace my BMW 550. My lease on it is up in four months, and I bought the A7, so it only costs a few months of insurance to have an extra car until my lease is up. I wanted to negotiate a deal now for a variety of reasons.

As the "5" series BMW, A6/A7, and GS are all pretty much competitors, I thought there might be some interest on this forum. I only have maybe 80 miles on the A7 including test drives, so it's too soon to really know a lot about how I'm going to like the car, but my impressions so far are very good. It has the refinement of the Lexus that I really like but with a little more performance. I'll try to make some comparisons on this thread over the next week or so.

I should say that while the 550 had some great strengths - such as the power (fantastic), comfortable seats and many features, it has some glaring faults. Drivability was not good. Throttle tip-in was not smooth at all and was really an issue for me in the stop and go driving I do commuting into Houston. Also, the suspension is very conflicted by the run flat tires. BMW also asks that you adjust to it's quirks. Its a shame because the car has many strong points. But the downsides were too noticeable in every day driving.

I love driving the GS (it's my wife's car) but wanted something with a little more responsiveness and I guess just didn't want to have two GS's in the garage. While the A7 ranks a little bit as stupid money when the A6 is pretty much the same car for a lot less, the A7 just really has a presence about it that I was will on spending stupid money for. Ahhh, the life of a gear head!

Glad to answer any questions.
Old 11-25-14, 06:40 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!

The first time I saw one of these, I was in Los Angeles, creeping along in a rental car in that horrible traffic. There was a black one in the lane next to me. I was blown away by it's beauty. It has something of a polarizing design, which I consider a good thing. You should show pics at different angles. I especially like the a$$. The A7 and Jaguar F-Type R Coupe have two of the best looking a$$e$ I've ever seen on a car. The Jag has a better one, but the A7 from three-quarter rear view looks very arrogant (which is good).

My only criticism of your purchase is the color. An Audi in white is not attractive to me. It's rare that a white car has any appeal to me whatsoever.
Old 11-25-14, 06:43 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow that is one nice looking car you got there. I have to admit that i am envying you right now. Out of all Audis available as New today i like the A7 the best. But i would have prefered a S7 or RS7 instead cuz if your gonna spend that much might as well go all-in.

Can you post some interior and rear end pics cuz i love my car p@&n.
Old 11-25-14, 06:47 PM
fsportjay
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

very nice.. take some pics of the inside and post em. congrats on the sweet ride!
Old 11-25-14, 06:48 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Trek
Say it ain't so, Joe. Say it ain't so!

The first time I saw one of these, I was in Los Angeles, creeping along in a rental car in that horrible traffic. There was a black one in the lane next to me. I was blown away by it's beauty. It has something of a polarizing design, which I consider a good thing. You should show pics at different angles. I especially like the a$$. The A7 and Jaguar F-Type R Coupe have two of the best looking a$$e$ I've ever seen on a car. The Jag has a better one, but the A7 from three-quarter rear view looks very arrogant (which is good).

My only criticism of your purchase is the color. An Audi in white is not attractive to me. It's rare that a white car has any appeal to me whatsoever.
There are two different whites available on the car. The basic white does nothing for me. This one really pops. But the pics don't do it justice (in my opinion). This one is called Glacier White. It has a bit of a pearl look to it without being to pearly. But colors are subjective. Where the sun was when I took some quick shots today was not good for a rear shot….I'll try to get some more tomorrow.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Wow that is one nice looking car you got there. I have to admit that i am envying you right now. Out of all Audis available as New today i like the A7 the best. But i would have prefered a S7 or RS7 instead cuz if your gonna spend that much might as well go all-in.

Can you post some interior and rear end pics cuz i love my car p@&n.
I agonized over whether to spend $90k on a S7 sitting in the showroom last week. I'm trying to be sane as I retire in 4-5 years and wanted something affordable. BTW, the A7 is not it either, but I could make SOME sense of buying it

I'll try to get some shots tomorrow. Here is the only one I told today that is of a different angle…

Old 11-25-14, 07:36 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Joe, I would really like to hear your impressions of the A7 and the plusses/minuses of each car. I traded an '11 S5 Cab for my GS because I wanted something bigger. I considered the A7, but at that time I was reading owner comments about weird road noise, subpar sound system from the Bose, and a few other comments. I know the powertrain is flawless from my S5 Cab. It had the same one.

I think the A7 is a beautiful, edgy car with lots of functionality due to the hatchback. I wouldn't be averse to trading for one myself. My Audi dealer took really good care of me.

I look forward to hearing your impressions.
Old 11-25-14, 07:53 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Lucky man. One of my favorite cars.
Old 11-25-14, 08:34 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Do I spy a Sewell plate frame?

Phenomenal choice - I love the "4 door coupe" design.
Old 11-25-14, 09:37 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
No, didn't get rid of our GS, I bought a new car to replace my BMW 550. My lease on it is up in four months, and I bought the A7, so it only costs a few months of insurance to have an extra car until my lease is up. I wanted to negotiate a deal now for a variety of reasons.

As the "5" series BMW, A6/A7, and GS are all pretty much competitors, I thought there might be some interest on this forum. I only have maybe 80 miles on the A7 including test drives, so it's too soon to really know a lot about how I'm going to like the car, but my impressions so far are very good. It has the refinement of the Lexus that I really like but with a little more performance. I'll try to make some comparisons on this thread over the next week or so.

I should say that while the 550 had some great strengths - such as the power (fantastic), comfortable seats and many features, it has some glaring faults. Drivability was not good. Throttle tip-in was not smooth at all and was really an issue for me in the stop and go driving I do commuting into Houston. Also, the suspension is very conflicted by the run flat tires. BMW also asks that you adjust to it's quirks. Its a shame because the car has many strong points. But the downsides were too noticeable in every day driving.

I love driving the GS (it's my wife's car) but wanted something with a little more responsiveness and I guess just didn't want to have two GS's in the garage. While the A7 ranks a little bit as stupid money when the A6 is pretty much the same car for a lot less, the A7 just really has a presence about it that I was will on spending stupid money for. Ahhh, the life of a gear head!

Glad to answer any questions.
Damn man, you took those words out of my mouth! I feel alot of the same thing you have with my 2013 GS350 F-Sport and the 2011 BMW 535i I had prior to it. I know the A7 will give me the best of all worlds. Congratulations!
Old 11-26-14, 03:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

A7 is a beautiful car love the design, only thing I dislike is the hatchback trunk other than that loved it when it first came out.
Old 11-26-14, 04:22 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Do I spy a Sewell plate frame?

Phenomenal choice - I love the "4 door coupe" design.
Yes. I have bought 60 four wheel vehicles and am in dealers all the time. They were the most professional dealership I have ever met. Their company has a great culture that I learned a lot about
Old 11-26-14, 06:06 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

One of my top choices but pockets not quite deep enough. Congrats.
Old 11-26-14, 07:19 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Nice! Originally that was tops on my list but I couldn't justify the price and maintenance on an Audi. Maybe my next car.
Old 11-26-14, 07:52 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audis are hawt! Lol I really wanted an A6 3.0T S-Line with Black Optics Pkg but it was about $5k more than my F Sport and the lease deal was almost double. And being my Lex and Audi dealers are 4 hours away, I chose the Lexus. I'm really jealous, A7s are the hottest of the hot
Old 11-26-14, 07:57 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man congrats, the A7 is such a beautiful car. I love the shooting brake shape

Quick Reply: Bought an Audi A7 today