Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Debut Two New Models at Detroit Auto Show?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 12:53 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's because, unfortunately, they actually believe that nonsense often spouted by the auto press (and some enthusiasts) that essentially pan minivans as somehow too "Soccer-Mom" and unfit for a male to drive.
Many moms do not want to drive minivans, so that is enough to validate the point about minivans and males for me
Old 12-23-14, 01:09 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Its also a status symbol, it shows that you can. Today's suv's get the same fuel economy as todays minivan's so it makes the argument for a minivan even less compelling.
If MPG is the only thing you care about, you're better off waiting for Tesla Model X. Seating number and space in minivan can never be replicated in an SUV, at least not for SUVs offering we have today. Minivan also offers car-like handling. If someone shops for a 90K SUV because they can, good for them. I personally would prioritize my purchase.
Old 12-23-14, 01:28 PM
wfibear
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Aesthetic is a subjective topic. You'd better say "I think that things is "f"ugly."
Semantics.
Old 12-24-14, 01:45 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by cino
If MPG is the only thing you care about, you're better off waiting for Tesla Model X. Seating number and space in minivan can never be replicated in an SUV, at least not for SUVs offering we have today. Minivan also offers car-like handling. If someone shops for a 90K SUV because they can, good for them. I personally would prioritize my purchase.
The model x is going to be selling for 120k after markup, I garuntee it.

Diesel GL starts at 63, I nicely optioned one will cost me 70k. That still leaves me 50k in spare change. I wonder how many miles it would take for me to make up the difference.
Old 12-24-14, 04:36 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

We are kind of a strange moment.

Gas is way cheap.

The domestic makers are offering mega horsepower per dollar (to create their halos, instead of building great innovative cars like the rest of the industry) so there will be takers for these cars.

The Tesla customer is more aligned to the Audi scene to me, High education/income and wanting something innovative. The green and American company aspects push up the perceived value. And then when you consider the P85D, it is the strongest luxury/performance package for the price I have seen.

I would agree that I would not want a minivan (do not like SUVs either but would take one over a minivan any day). The better off thing is too situational to generalize. Consumers with dough pick what they like and the manufacturers do what they can to offer products to meet preferences. We have all seen the explosion in CUVs. I was just at the Bulls game and they have an NX parked in the Lexus club seating area in the United Center. Cool vehicle and lots of folks will like it.

We also have to remember that folks with disposable income buy stuff because they want it. I had one of my perfectly serviceable bathrooms ripped out to put in a high end one. The off the shelf cabinets are being replaced with custom solid maple ones (one is 8 1/2 feet tall), the walls floor covered in limestone and glass mosaics. None of it because of need or what I would be better off with (except for adding a low threshold shower). Just happening because I wanted it, can afford it and can find the right folks to do the work.
Old 12-24-14, 05:24 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S2000, we have a suite at the palace here for the Pistons, even with them sucking, the suite area parking looks like a cars and coffee show, bring on the halos!.. We are looking at suite options at the UC for the Chicago office next year, I will hit you up for one of our C suite parties if we do.....

Keep energy prices low(er) and the consumer wins,we get more Ford Raptor's, AMG's, F's etc..... And even then we can get higher MPG CUV's with or without the performance extra's.

Not too often I get excited about the auto show but with the GS-F dropping and something else I cannot wait to go.
Old 12-24-14, 05:29 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
The model x is going to be selling for 120k after markup, I garuntee it.

Diesel GL starts at 63, I nicely optioned one will cost me 70k. That still leaves me 50k in spare change. I wonder how many miles it would take for me to make up the difference.
Markup? Isn't Tesla selling it directly to customers?

70K probably get you a few options Diesel GL. Those German will rip you off on options, How do I know? My little sister just got a loaded GLA250 AMG sport for 47K, and that's 2.1K under MSRP.

GL diesel is not even comparable with Tesla Model X if Model S's performance is any indication. Electric motor can be placed as low and close to middle as possible. Real AMG GL is probably not even as performance oriented and aceleration monster as Model X D series. But who am I to say? I can't even convince my little sis to get a more "sense" affordable car.

The point isn't about GL vs Model X though. If someone with a family can get over the feminine image of a minivan, he's better off with one. If someone invest in a car because he/she can, good for them.
Old 12-24-14, 05:38 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by J.P.
S2000, we have a suite at the palace here for the Pistons, even with them sucking, the suite area parking looks like a cars and coffee show, bring on the halos!.. We are looking at suite options at the UC for the Chicago office next year, I will hit you up for one of our C suite parties if we do.....

Keep energy prices low(er) and the consumer wins,we get more Ford Raptor's, AMG's, F's etc..... And even then we can get higher MPG CUV's with or without the performance extra's.

Not too often I get excited about the auto show but with the GS-F dropping and something else I cannot wait to go.
Raptor, Mustang GT350R, Focus RS, GT successor and Ford Racing Tuning Software. I'd would love to be there at Ford booth.
Old 12-24-14, 07:55 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks JP,

I agree with you and we all are looking forward to an insane Detroit auto show.

Please get lot's of pics of the NSX when you go.

I am first in line for one at a local dealership and am hoping they knock it out of the park.
Old 12-25-14, 08:34 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any more leaks or news on the 2 new Lexus models to be released?
Old 12-28-14, 02:44 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Flipping through an old MT... Could this be the other one?

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-28-14, 04:23 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

^i dont think so. we havent even seen any test mules for the LC yet.

i think the two new Lexus cars could be:
1. facelift GS
2. GS-F
Old 12-28-14, 06:50 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, it might be those two since if it was a significant model introduction or concept, it would have been teased by Lexus already.
Old 12-28-14, 07:27 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
^i dont think so. we havent even seen any test mules for the LC yet.

i think the two new Lexus cars could be:
1. facelift GS
2. GS-F
I would agree with the GS-F, but I can't see them introducing the facelift GS when the '15 model has only been on lots a few months. That might encourage potential clients to wait. I think it will be either the new LF-LC coupe or the new RX.
Old 12-29-14, 08:50 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dseag2
I think it will be either the new LF-LC coupe or the new RX.
Yes, probably some kind of "90% done" RX concept, just like LF-NX was,

Quick Reply: Lexus to Debut Two New Models at Detroit Auto Show?