Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus to Debut Two New Models at Detroit Auto Show?

Old 12-18-14, 10:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

A minor alteration doesn't require more crash testing, and a small adjustment in the shape of a taillight at the bottom may not require any change to the structure shown above necessarily. Remember, even 1/2 an inch difference can make a big difference in the look.

An example is the late 90s/early '00s Camry.

This is a 98 Camry rear:

This is a 2001 Camry rear:

Just a slight, maybe 1/2 inch taper and widening to the tails towards the decklid in the quarter panels, and then a restamped decklid and resulting new shape to the lights makes a big difference in how the rear looks.
Old 12-18-14, 10:29 AM
justinco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to hearing about this new F as well. Looks pretty sweet from the shots released so far.
Old 12-18-14, 11:03 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
All bolt on parts are easy to restyle because you don't really have to worry about things like crumple zones, some of it is basic steel stamping, and plastic parts just injection moldings. However if you want to restyle something like the rear end and tail light shape you have a lot more work because the rear portion of the car is a solid piece, so even a very minor change in the shape is a lot of work on top of that you would have to more crash tests.

Here is an example of how a car looks stripped of its parts, If you just change one thing you are essentially making a change in the structural pieces of steel.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
A minor alteration doesn't require more crash testing, and a small adjustment in the shape of a taillight at the bottom may not require any change to the structure shown above necessarily. Remember, even 1/2 an inch difference can make a big difference in the look.

This is a 98 Camry rear:

Just a slight, maybe 1/2 inch taper and widening to the tails towards the decklid in the quarter panels, and then a restamped decklid and resulting new shape to the lights makes a big difference in how the rear looks.

The change in the shape of the taillights was in the trunk lid, which is a bolt-on, non-structural member, thus not seen in the body-in-white photo above.
Old 12-18-14, 11:27 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

This is a 98 Camry rear:

The alteration is in the trunk, a none structural portion.
Old 12-18-14, 11:34 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Changing the trunk and rear bumper will enable designer to restyle taillight and the rear completely. There shouldn't be limitation in the restyling at all. Remember that adding more 3D effect to taillight will also change the visual view, the 4GS taillight is so flat that adding 3D shape helps a lot.
Old 12-18-14, 12:36 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by cino
Changing the trunk and rear bumper will enable designer to restyle taillight and the rear completely. There shouldn't be limitation in the restyling at all. Remember that adding more 3D effect to taillight will also change the visual view, the 4GS taillight is so flat that adding 3D shape helps a lot.
Yes, but the shape of the tails will remain the same. I'm not saying it won't help I'm saying it wont be as dramatic as everyone hopes it will.
Old 12-18-14, 01:00 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Yes, but the shape of the tails will remain the same. I'm not saying it won't help I'm saying it wont be as dramatic as everyone hopes it will.
Knowing it's Toyota, I don't think they do much with restyling, I still think they can reshape the tail easily if they want to. Do you see what they did to Camry? They just need to make a business case to make that change.
Old 12-18-14, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There actually is a slight tapered difference in the taillamps themselves at the bottom (not in the rear decklid). You make my point for me though, they can make a big impact in the look of the rear without changing the structure of the car.

I don't think it needs to be dramatic...I quite like the rear of the car.
Old 12-18-14, 05:09 PM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Talking It's about time

It's about time, I thought Genesis crowd will never stop laughing at us and I will have to drive my 430 forever. 400-425h V8 will do for me. Looking at the front photos, the rear should come up tight as well (so I hope). I completely lost any hope for future of GS and even started thinking about LS
Old 12-18-14, 06:09 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

My bet the new tails will be slightly darker, similar to 14' LS. They may also finally lose that amber blinker.
Old 12-18-14, 07:09 PM
xbladex00
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well it looks like any other lexus (no surprise). WHY did they add the spindle grill... the gs looked perfect with that metal body splitting the grill!!
Old 12-18-14, 07:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Every Lexus is going to have the spindle grill, no surprise there. The 4GS has the spindle grill now its just the phase in version.
Old 12-19-14, 02:00 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by xbladex00
Well it looks like any other lexus (no surprise). WHY did they add the spindle grill... the gs looked perfect with that metal body splitting the grill!!
Base and Luxury may not have the full spindle grille. Don't forget that this is the GS-F we are looking at. Base IS for instance, does not come with full spindle grille.
Old 12-19-14, 03:08 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

For me the only "problem" with the GS are the rear wheel archs, they are too flat and should be wider or more pronounced especially on the GS F. It is not to difficult to do, many cars have that change like BMW M3/M4, Audi RS4/RS5 and RS6 or Porsche 911.
Old 12-19-14, 03:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
For me the only "problem" with the GS are the rear wheel archs, they are too flat and should be wider or more pronounced especially on the GS F. It is not to difficult to do, many cars have that change like BMW M3/M4, Audi RS4/RS5 and RS6 or Porsche 911.
we already see that they have air ducts like in IS-F, so there will be some changes there too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus to Debut Two New Models at Detroit Auto Show?