Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need help selecting front lights 2014 Accord Coupe

Old 11-26-14, 12:09 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Why not just get HIDs...they're cheap as hell today and much brighter than any regular bulbs.
Old 11-27-14, 08:19 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
My parents have a Honda Pilot that i drive on occasion, they always complain they can't see at night so I did some research and replace their low/hi beam with PIAA NIGHT TECH. Its almost HID-like in sharpness and worlds apart from Stock Honda bulb.. Its really the best for a regular bulb so far IMO.. I got it for $40 on Amazon..

I believe the Honda Accords use H11's --
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10711-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZE58/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416920056&sr=1-1&keywords=piaa+night+tech+H11 http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-10711-Night-Tech-Upgrade/dp/B00544ZE58/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1416920056&sr=1-1&keywords=piaa+night+tech+H11
Thank you. I will look into it
Old 11-27-14, 08:23 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Philips diamond vision vs PIA? Which one are brighter?
Old 11-28-14, 03:44 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Philips diamond vision vs PIA? Which one are brighter?
Well since, I haven't had personally experience the Philips diamond vision but from reading the specs. The Philips may seem a little brighter and more white-blue "HID Looking" and the Piaa's look like a regular or more yellow light headlight but it shines 35 meters further. Like i said, i'm was really impress with the usable power of the bulb, its not emitting a bluish light but its closest to HID in "usable" light without the look of the HID.

Color of Stock HID's are 4300K (which is the brightest)

Phillip is 5000K which is 700K more but is on the dimmer white-blue side but lacks distance (which is initially seem a little brighter up close, emitting an HID look but the beam is shorter)

Piaa is 3600K which is 700K less but is on the brighter yellow-white side has better distance.(as close to HID for usable brightness but doesn't emit a blue light but its balance very well and the beam is longer up to 35 meters.

It depends on what you want but with Piaa the beam is as long and sharp as HID's, sure its not HID looking, not any halogen bulb can look like REAL HID's.

While the Philips will simulate HID "Look" but its trading its power to emit a Bluer light which is less light output.. Optimum is 4300K which is HID standard. Anything higher is less light output. Of course if you want to look like you have HIDs but willing to trade some output and distance, this the HID "looking" bulb.

The Piaa shines on the yellow-white end but it has better distance VS. The Philips which shines bluer than HIDs to simulate an HID bulb trading output and distance and looks cooler..

But since I was buying this for my parent's car and night vision and distance was more important than the HID look. The Night tech's was my choice for them. I've had alot of different Extreme white type HID looking bulbs for my fogs and yes they shine brighter in the first 5-10 feet but the beam doesn't last further than that. All of my cars have Factory HIDs and if ever had a car without HID's, I would pick the Piaa Night Techs as my best Halogen bulb for seeing.

Like I said the distance of the Piaa rivals Real HIDs is why I'm impressed and I'm rarely impressed with alot of things.
Old 11-28-14, 07:26 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Well since, I haven't had personally experience the Philips diamond vision but from reading the specs. The Philips may seem a little brighter and more white-blue "HID Looking" and the Piaa's look like a regular or more yellow light headlight but it shines 35 meters further. Like i said, i'm was really impress with the usable power of the bulb, its not emitting a bluish light but its closest to HID in "usable" light without the look of the HID.

Color of Stock HID's are 4300K (which is the brightest)

Phillip is 5000K which is 700K more but is on the dimmer white-blue side but lacks distance (which is initially seem a little brighter up close, emitting an HID look but the beam is shorter)

Piaa is 3600K which is 700K less but is on the brighter yellow-white side has better distance.(as close to HID for usable brightness but doesn't emit a blue light but its balance very well and the beam is longer up to 35 meters.

It depends on what you want but with Piaa the beam is as long and sharp as HID's, sure its not HID looking, not any halogen bulb can look like REAL HID's.

While the Philips will simulate HID "Look" but its trading its power to emit a Bluer light which is less light output.. Optimum is 4300K which is HID standard. Anything higher is less light output. Of course if you want to look like you have HIDs but willing to trade some output and distance, this the HID "looking" bulb.

The Piaa shines on the yellow-white end but it has better distance VS. The Philips which shines bluer than HIDs to simulate an HID bulb trading output and distance and looks cooler..

But since I was buying this for my parent's car and night vision and distance was more important than the HID look. The Night tech's was my choice for them. I've had alot of different Extreme white type HID looking bulbs for my fogs and yes they shine brighter in the first 5-10 feet but the beam doesn't last further than that. All of my cars have Factory HIDs and if ever had a car without HID's, I would pick the Piaa Night Techs as my best Halogen bulb for seeing.

Like I said the distance of the Piaa rivals Real HIDs is why I'm impressed and I'm rarely impressed with alot of things.
I went ahead and ordered Phillips. Anything is better than the stock )
Old 12-05-14, 04:51 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

received Philips lights last night, and very disappointed. They are not as bright as the Silver Star I had on my civic years ago. They def. better than the stock ones, but not even close to Silvestar.
Old 12-05-14, 06:47 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
received Philips lights last night, and very disappointed. They are not as bright as the Silver Star I had on my civic years ago. They def. better than the stock ones, but not even close to Silvestar.
I did tell you that i was IMPRESSED with the PIAA's and provided explanation between them and the Phillips.. (Hate to say, I told you so) but you need to take good advice when given..
Old 12-05-14, 07:33 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just love my philips H11 LL. Nice golden yellow beam.
Old 12-05-14, 04:17 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I did tell you that i was IMPRESSED with the PIAA's and provided explanation between them and the Phillips.. (Hate to say, I told you so) but you need to take good advice when given..
I thought you said Philips are brighter
Old 12-05-14, 05:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

He said the Philips "seems" brighter because of the white-blue color that's typically associated with aftermarket HID bulbs. The PIAAs are closer to regular halogen in color so people associate them with being "dim", yet it illuminates the road better.
Old 12-06-14, 10:17 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the PIAA Night Tech bulbs and they seem no brighter than the OEM fogs I had on my car.....and just as yellow.
Old 12-06-14, 10:33 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
He said the Philips "seems" brighter because of the white-blue color that's typically associated with aftermarket HID bulbs. The PIAAs are closer to regular halogen in color so people associate them with being "dim", yet it illuminates the road better.
Apperantly I misunderstood him.