Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 09:18 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate it on ALL cars.
Old 11-25-14, 09:53 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Default how to adjust

thought I'd put this out here for anybody who needs a refresher

http://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve...t-your-mirrors

The inside mirror

Adjust the inside mirror so you can see the entire rear window from the driver's seat. You should have to move only your eyes, not your head, when using this mirror.
Drivers 6 feet tall or taller may find it helpful to reposition the mirror upside down, if possible. This usually raises the bottom edge fo the mirror about 1 to 2 inches and can substantially rescue a major blind area to the front for tall drivers.

Side-view mirrors

To adjust the driver's side-view mirror, place your head against the left side window and set the mirror so you can just barely see the side of the car in the mirror's right side.
To adjust the passenger's side-view mirror, position your head so that it is just above the center console. Set the mirror so you can just barely see the side fo the car in the left side of the mirror. If the vehicle is not equipped with remove mirror-adjustment controls, you may need assistance when properly positioning this mirror.

With these settings, you will have almost seamless visual contact around your vehicle, which can help you detect the presence of nearby drivers. For example, when being passed by a vehicle in the lane to your left, you will see it progress from the rearview mirror, to the left side mirror and then to your side vision.
Old 11-25-14, 10:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

They just take time getting used to them. Once you are used to blind spot mirrors they are great.
Old 11-25-14, 12:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that's exactly the kind of mirror the OP says are stupid on the venza.
Yes, I know. But there is one than just one opinion on this subject. In general, I think they are a good idea....as are also the turn-signal indicators built into some side-mirrors, something that, from my memory, was invented and perfected By Mercedes.

Another factor affecting visibility and blind-spots, of course, is the actual physical size of the side-mirrors themselves. Some vehicles, like Subaru Foresters of not long ago, had large square mirrors practically the size of baking-pans. Others (unfortunately as with a number of Buicks), are little undersized triangles that definitely compromise visibility, which is already sometimes compromised by the less-sharp eyesight of many of the older people driving Buicks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-14 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

we have a 2013 Sienna limited and we have the same feature. Dont know anyone would say it bothers them.....plus you can shut it off I think.
Old 11-25-14, 02:37 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FastTags
You mean with the side mirrors not rear view mirror as chikoo said. Yeah, it help but not good enouh. Anyway, here are some shots of the Accord so called blind spot, which clearly does not work.
Its not visable bc its a blind spot!! As tou can see that Accord BS does not work, which was my whole point. And the image on the left is screed up, you cant even tell if the car is close or far away as half of the image is oart of the BS mirror
Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i would say you have you side mirror adjusted wrong, unless you really like admiring so much of the side of your car.
I dont. It look like that but in reality i cant see the qpanel at all. Anyway, regardless of how i adjust it accord BS does not work
Then show us a picture of what YOU actually see, as opposed to showing us this picture

Old 11-27-14, 01:35 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Default Here is how my side view mirrors work

So enlighten me why I still need a BS mirror with a mini image??

Old 01-08-15, 08:22 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, now i'm actively looking for replacement mirrors. I'll bring it up to the dealer in next service in about 1k more miles. I drove it again a few weeks ago at night. When I said it sucks at night I know why it looks like a bunch of headlights coming at you. There is a clear glass over the bs mirror which also causes a reflection of headlights. So 1 car would look like 2 cars from different angles.

So I'll bring it up to the dealer but other than that you guys think I should contact Toyota?. I feel it really is a hazard and just want a set of regular mirrors.