Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 01:29 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Let me add to this. The only reason why people need BS mirrors is because they adjust the rearview mirrors to look at the rear fenders of their OWN car. Which leads them to be unable to view the vehicles on the left and right behind them.
Huh??? Are you saying you know how to adjust the rear view mirrow so that you can see in the back + blind spot area from the left and right???
Old 11-24-14, 01:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Huh??? Are you saying you know how to adjust the rear view mirrow so that you can see in the back + blind spot area from the left and right???
You do not need to look at the rear fenders of your own car, unless you are parallel parking.
Old 11-24-14, 02:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me add to this. The only reason why people need BS mirrors is because they adjust the rearview mirrors to look at the rear fenders of their OWN car. Which leads them to be unable to view the vehicles on the left and right behind them.
Definitely agree with you Chikoo, my brother would always hate it, saying I "kick out" the mirrors too far wide.

In different cars the range of motion isn't always able to completely eliminate the blind spot, even with this set up, but you can generally cover most of it, and again, always check with physical confirmation first. That's what people need to do, not rely on stick on mirrors, blind spot warnings, or new mirrors, Honda LaneWatch, etc.
Old 11-24-14, 03:48 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
Definitely agree with you Chikoo, my brother would always hate it, saying I "kick out" the mirrors too far wide.

In different cars the range of motion isn't always able to completely eliminate the blind spot, even with this set up, but you can generally cover most of it, and again, always check with physical confirmation first. That's what people need to do, not rely on stick on mirrors, blind spot warnings, or new mirrors, Honda LaneWatch, etc.
You mean with the side mirrors not rear view mirror as chikoo said. Yeah, it help but not good enouh. Anyway, here are some shots of the Accord so called blind spot, which clearly does not work.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!-img_4680.jpg   Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!-img_4679.jpg   Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!-img_4681.jpg  
Old 11-24-14, 04:09 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

You mean with the side mirrors not rear view mirror as chikoo said. Yeah, it help but not good enouh. Anyway, here are some shots of the Accord so called blind spot, which clearly does not work.
I meant the side mirrors. I consider all 3 as rear view mirrors: L-C-R

BTW, the car in the BS mirror in the post above, is evidently running alongside you. I wonder how that becomes invisible to you. The only ways I can think is
1. Eye coverage not wide enough
2. Neck does not turn enough.
3. B Pillar is wide as a tree trunk

Last edited by chikoo; 11-24-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 04:43 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I meant the side mirrors. I consider all 3 as rear view mirrors: L-C-R

BTW, the car in the BS mirror in the post above, is evidently running alongside you. I wonder how that becomes invisible to you. The only ways I can think is
1. Eye coverage not wide enough
2. Neck does not turn enough.
3. B Pillar is wide as a tree trunk
Its not visable bc its a blind spot!! As tou can see that Accord BS does not work, which was my whole point. And the image on the left is screed up, you cant even tell if the car is close or far away as half of the image is oart of the BS mirror

Last edited by FastTags; 11-24-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 08:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Anyway, here are some shots of the Accord so called blind spot, which clearly does not work.
i would say you have you side mirror adjusted wrong, unless you really like admiring so much of the side of your car.
Old 11-24-14, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i would say you have you side mirror adjusted wrong, unless you really like admiring so much of the side of your car.
Bit is correct. That SUV in the current blind spot would probably be visible if the mirror was adjusted outward a little, away from the side of the car.

One thing I like about many recent Ford products is that they come with a small factory-design double-mirror on the side which covers larger blind spots.

Old 11-24-14, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing I like about many recent Ford products is that they come with a small factory-design double-mirror on the side which covers larger blind spots.
that's exactly the kind of mirror the OP says are stupid on the venza.
Old 11-25-14, 02:30 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I dont. It look like that but in reality i cant see the qpanel at all. Anyway, regardless of how i adjust it accord BS does not work
Old 11-25-14, 02:31 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

that's exactly the kind of mirror the OP says are stupid on the venza.
Ford one is better than accord bs
Old 11-25-14, 06:03 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that's the Accord factory BS? Looks like the cheap $2 ones.

We figured we'd get use to it but all we get is a headache.

I had the cheap ones on my wife's Odyssey but were obviously able to position it so that it wouldn't be in her way. Very helpful for her which is why we were excited about "factory" ones.

Mmarshall, that's the same as the Venza's. Looks good on paper/pictures..
Old 11-25-14, 06:11 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont. It look like that but in reality i cant see the qpanel at all. Anyway, regardless of how i adjust it accord BS does not work
Yep, frustrating. Hard to explain without experiencing it. Are those removable at all? Mine are built in so short of spending hundreds for a used set plus paint we're stuck with it.

It is what it is though. For me I'm good with a regular mirror and turning my head.
Old 11-25-14, 06:24 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sphy1005
Yep, frustrating. Hard to explain without experiencing it. Are those removable at all? Mine are built in so short of spending hundreds for a used set plus paint we're stuck with it.

It is what it is though. For me I'm good with a regular mirror and turning my head.
The ones on the right side of the mirror, are not original. They work great, the original BS is located on the left of the mirror, there is a small line about 1" from the left which screws everything and does not provides the blind spot visabilty as it should.
Old 11-25-14, 09:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Its not visable bc its a blind spot!! As tou can see that Accord BS does not work, which was my whole point. And the image on the left is screed up, you cant even tell if the car is close or far away as half of the image is oart of the BS mirror
If you knew how to adjust mirrors, then the only blind spot you will have is when the car is right next to you in the other lane. In which case, your eyes should be able to detect unless you have peripheral vision issues, which is a legit cause.

Quick Reply: Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!