Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 12:31 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
best option is learning how to drive.I mean turn your damn head.
^^^
Haha that's epic and I fully agree with this statement.

Old 11-24-14, 03:30 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
The honda mirror I just saw has something different - great idea, just make the left edge curve out...

http://www.businessinsider.com/honda...-mirror-2014-2
nice, but how about a complete mirror that bubbles out just eenough to cover the blind spot.. I think the issue is having your eyes adjust to one or the other. Especially at night when one set of headlights look like 2 sets

Originally Posted by RXSF
so these are built into the actual mirror and not stuck on? If they didn't change the overall shape of the mirror, I think you might be able to buy the 2013 or 14 model year which didn't have it, and then swap out the glass
Yeah they're built in. I have to do some research to see which model year fits. This has the heated/defrost so will need the same. That'd be cool of I could just swap the glass though.

Last edited by sphy1005; 11-24-14 at 03:34 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 03:55 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The honda mirror I just saw has something different - great idea, just make the left edge curve out...

http://www.businessinsider.com/honda...-mirror-2014-2
This works well. Simple idea that works without distortion or double images
Old 11-24-14, 04:07 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleL
This works well. Simple idea that works without distortion or double images
Honda mirror does not work! The so called blind sopot is not a blind spot. The only thing it does is confuses driver! I drive accord on regular basis and I had to stick an additional blind spot mirror, simply bc the Honda one does not work!
Old 11-24-14, 04:11 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FastTags
Honda mirror does not work! The so called blind sopot is not a blind spot. The only thing it does is confuses driver! I drive accord on regular basis and I had to stick an additional blind spot mirror, simply bc the Honda one does not work!
Opinions vary that's what makes CL great. Can you tell us more about how the gradual wider view at the outside edge of the mirror confuses you?
Old 11-24-14, 07:37 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I am one of those who complained about the wide-angle / blind spot portion of the mirror on current Honda Accords. The wide angle portion is a very NARROW strip (no more than 2.5cm / 1inch wide) on the outer (left) edge of the driver's side mirror. It GREATLY distorts the image of vehicles in that portion of the mirror -- as vehicles go from the main portion of the mirror into the wide-angle portion, it squishes the image so badly that distortion is very frustrating and gives me a headache.

My wife has placed 2inch round convex mirrors (similar to those pictured above) on the outer edge of both door mirrors and it covers the bottom portion of the Honda wide-angle mirror. I find these aftermarket convex mirrors much better (and it covers up the terrible Honda mirror somewhat).

I have used aftermarket stick-on convex mirrors for about 20 years now (after I had a near miss with a motorcyclist who was too close in to my car), even after I started angling my mirrors further out to eliminate the blind spot and avoid having to do a shoulder check in most instances (lighter traffic). I use it now as both a blind spot mirror (even with the blind spot monitor on my ES), and a ground check when I am backing up and/or getting into parking spaces.

I have not tried the Venza mirror with the built-in wide-angle mirror and I do not remember if the Ford Fusion I rented last year had it or not; I only have experience with the Accord's wide-angle mirror (which I hate with a passion). I am thinking that perhaps the black border on these stick-on convex mirrors helps to separate the wide-angle mirror from the regular mirror when you glance at it so that it is less confusing than the built-in wide-angle mirror.
Old 11-24-14, 09:36 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

What sulu said. It distorts the image in the corner. So if you have a vehicle in the corner view, half of the vehicle is clear image the ther half is distorted inage of it and imposible to tell if its close or far away. On too of all this the so called blind spot is still not visable.
Old 11-24-14, 10:08 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think it's supposed to give a "clear" picture of a car in your blind spot. If you are just aware of an object - dark and/or blurry, you'll know something is there, and you can then confirm with the standard head check, before making your lane change/maneuver.

Even with a full blind spot monitor, I still do the physical check.
Old 11-24-14, 10:18 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't think it's supposed to give a "clear" picture of a car in your blind spot. If you are just aware of an object - dark and/or blurry, you'll know something is there, and you can then confirm with the standard head check, before making your lane change/maneuver.

Even with a full blind spot monitor, I still do the physical check.
You won't understand untill you have it. Trust me. I have used blind spot mirrors all my life. I have then in every car i own. The Honda bs just doesn't work. It does not show the image in the blind spot area, instead it distort the left side image.!
I have the rectengular type BS mirrors, and i never turn my head. They work great!
What I can see in my BS mirror i cant see in Hondas Blind spot mirror
Old 11-24-14, 10:26 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You won't understand untill you have it. Trust me. I have used blind spot mirrors all my life. I have then in every car i own. The Honda bs just doesn't work. It does not show the image in the blind spot area, instead it distort the left side image.!
I have the rectengular type BS mirrors, and i never turn my head. They work great!
I've driven the Honda's and Acura's with your new mirror fairly extensively and, personally, as some others have also said, it works fine for me. I don't need something that gives me a crystal clear image and I prefer to actually do a physical check. I know that in itself is pretty rare these days.
Old 11-24-14, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i kept interpreting 'bs' in your post another way initially.

anyway, what is your daily driver?
Old 11-24-14, 01:04 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

frankly speaking, if you know how the 3 rear-view mirrors are designed, and supposed to work, you do not need a tiny blind spot mirror to help you. In the amount of time it takes to figure out what is in the tiny mirror, I can glance sideways and check it out myself.
Old 11-24-14, 01:14 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

i kept interpreting 'bs' in your post another way initially.

anyway, what is your daily driver?
Yeah BS- blind spot.
I drive GS350 with BS mirrors. And my wife has Accord which i drive maybe 50miles a week. The accord also has Same BS mirrors as I do, since the original ones do not work.
I will try to take few pics of the Accord BS mirror later.
Belive me or not, does not change the fact that I absolutely hate what Honda did to the mirrors. If you think they are the same as the Ford's , you are wrong, Ford BS mirrors are more like the ones I have installed, only they are located in the ledt top corner.
Old 11-24-14, 01:16 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

We got a new Venza about 6 months ago - same mirrors. Looks like the "cheap" way to add blind spot monitoring. I rarely drive the vehicle so it isn't a concern for me. The other cars we have in the household have regular mirrors and no sensors.

Personally - I think the whole idea of blind spot monitoring is making everyone worse drivers since they'll start to rely on technology instead of actually checking for themselves.. I'm waiting for the lawsuits to start where the sensor failed and a vehicle side swiped a semi truck and everyone lost their lives.

Same thing with backup cameras. I do appreciate having mine - and the one on our van helps tremendously, but it's NOT a replacement for turning your head around and actually looking in the direction you are going.

My biggest gripe for the Venza: How could they not have visor extensions built in?!?!? The vehicle was updated for 2012 or 13 I want to say - how could this have been overlooked? The visors are very short and the fact that they don't extend like my ES350 or even have small pull out panels is unacceptable!! Our Sienna has this, our former 2011 Highlander had this, and heck - even our 2002 Highlander had pull out panels.

< /rant >
Old 11-24-14, 01:21 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
frankly speaking, if you know how the 3 rear-view mirrors are designed, and supposed to work, you do not need a tiny blind spot mirror to help you. In the amount of time it takes to figure out what is in the tiny mirror, I can glance sideways and check it out myself.
Let me add to this. The only reason why people need BS mirrors is because they adjust the rearview mirrors to look at the rear fenders of their OWN car. Which leads them to be unable to view the vehicles on the left and right behind them.

Quick Reply: Stupid Venza Blind Spot Mirrors?!