Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A new car today....shopping with a former co-worker.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile A new car today....shopping with a former co-worker.

I spent much of today with a former coworker of mine who, after 10 years of his old Toyota Matrix (which I also went shopping with him for 10 years ago), decided it was time for a new car. He's giving the Matrix to his 16-year old son, who is almost ready for his Drivers' License. He wanted something more winter-friendly this time, with a hatch in back (like his Matrix) large enough to carry his bicycle, so we hit one of the local Subaru shops (same VW/Subaru dealership where I had bought my former Outback), since I knew some of the people still there that had not retired. The new Outbacks and Foresters were a little too large physically, or out of his price-range, for what he wanted (and a little more boxy-shaped), but there were a few unsold new 2014 Impreza Hatchbacks and XV Crosstreks left that pretty much fit the bill. After a couple of test-drives, he decided he needed a little more ground clearance for speed bumps, ramps, deep snow, ease of entry-exit, etc......than the low-slung regular Impreza hatchback provided, so it boiled down to a choice between a couple of orange or silver Crosstreks with black leather seats (which he didn't want) and another Crosstrek (a burgundy one) with the light-beige cloth seats he DID want, but also with a power sunroof he didn't want. The XV Crosstrek, for those of you who don't know, is essentially an Impeza hatchback with a raised-suspension, a somewhat brighter color-choice that includes Lime-Green and Pumpkin-Orange, SUV-type lower-body-cladding for paint protection, a little more standard equipment, and sport-oriented red dash/instrumentaton lights.

After a lot of careful thought, he chose the burgundy one with cloth seats and the sunroof...color, to him, was not a big issue, and he figured maybe the sunroof would be nice, after all, on a sunny warm day. He didn't particularly want the sunroof, but, the dealership was willing to discount this car into his required price/payment range to sell it, and (at my insistence) even pared down the processing-fee a little, which I pointed out to the salesman was, IMO, simply too high. Maryland law limits the processing fee to $99, but there is no legal limit in Virginia, were we were. It passed both his test-drive and mine (no apparent defects or problems), so then it was just a matter of the usual tedious paperwork/signatures on a new car sale and the usual stuff on the phone with the insurance company.

On both the Impreza and XV Crosstrek test-drives today, I was surprised that both seemed markedly quieter in the road-noise department than the earlier 2013-2014 ones I had formerly reviewed......though the CVT transmission did produce some engine-noise from its motorboating characteristics. Consumer Reports also had remarked about road noise from the skimpy wheel well insulation in both models. I don't know this for a fact, but Subaru may (?) have made some mid-year running changes in the factory to address that issue.

They did a superb job preparing and detailing the car for delivery, even getting all four tire pressures spot-on (which, trust me, is an area the PDI guys often screw up on). It was virtually spotless, even by my strict new-car inspection standards.

We both went out to dinner after the sale....with his first new car in 10 years, he was one happy dude.

And, as always..........Happy Car Shopping.

MM

I tried to post/upload an I-Phone camera-shot that I took of it all nicely PDI'ed and ready to go, but the attached picture keeps coming out 90 degrees off....vertical instead of horizontal. So, instead, I posted a regular Google image of a similar model, like I do in many of my reviews. If I can resolve the picture-rotate problem, I'll post the actual I-Phone shot I took.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-20-14, 08:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice choice. Congrats to your friend
Old 11-20-14, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice choice. Congrats to your friend
Thanks. And, of course, he gets my standard new-car-warming gift. One hopes, of course, that it doesn't actually have to be used very much:

Old 11-20-14, 09:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks. And, of course, he gets my standard new-car-warming gift. One hopes, of course, that it doesn't actually have to be used very much:

Did you go to Costco and get a case of those you keep in the garage?
Old 11-21-14, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Did you go to Costco and get a case of those you keep in the garage?
My local grocery store carries it. (a lot of auto parts and department stores don't, for some reason). Some dealer-parts department carry it, but it usually costs more there. Usually when I'm at my local Giant Food grocery, if I need a couple of bottles, I'll just pick up one or two with my groceries and take them home....I keep several bottles on hand for new and used-car purchases.

It's just a nice little touch, and, IMO, the best time to give it...when one has a nice, brand-new paint job and would like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Some dings and imperfections, of course, are unavoidable. Even with a good scratch-remover like this product, though, it's almost impossible to keep the paint job absolutely 100% mint as long as the car is actually driven and regularly exposed to today's world (and yes, even with good body-side moldings) . SOMETHING, somewhere, is eventually going to ding, stain, deep-scratch, or dent it. That's one reason, of course, why cars depreciate over time.

BTW, speaking of body-side moldings, they are a factory-option (and very well-done) on the Impreza and XV Crosstrek.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-14 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 07:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I really like the Crosstrek and would have considered it, but the (weak IMO) 148hp was a dealbreaker for me in Denver/mountains.
Old 11-21-14, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I really like the Crosstrek and would have considered it, but the (weak IMO) 148hp was a dealbreaker for me in Denver/mountains.
The N/A 2.0L flat-four does give somewhat better response in the lighter Impreza hatchback than it does in the somewhat heavier Crosstrek (he test-drove both of them). But he wanted the Crosstrek's extra ground clearance, for several reasons. The efficient but quirky CVT transmission does help both acceleration and gas mileage in both versions...and the EPA figures are amog the best for any car-based AWD vehicle in the American market, now that the Suzuki SX-4 is gone. I agree with you, though, that neither would be particularly well-suited to the Colorado Rockies, with their very high altitudes. Here in the East (my friend sometimes travels to West Virginia) the mountains there average only about a third of the height above sea level that they do in Colorado, though there are some long steep grades.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-21-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-21-14, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I forgot to mention this above. One of Subaru's currrent local promotions in this area, with each new-car sale, is giving away two free season-passes to the Wisp Ski Resort in Maryland. (my friend is a skier, and, of course, got the two free season-passes yesterday with the sale). Subaru is also offering a $25 gift card for new Outback test drives.
Old 11-21-14, 02:30 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Track down a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant, an excellent non-greasy, non-shiny solution for dash and leather maintenance.

You can find it at some BMW dealers and Marine stores as it's used in the boating industry.
Old 11-21-14, 05:18 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Nice choice. Definitely a vehicle I'd consider in the sub 30k range of crossovers, but alas, the NX awaits! Speaking of which, I'll be asking for the bottle very soon!
Old 11-21-14, 05:44 PM
Hoovey689

Default Subaru prices 2015 XV Crosstrek from $21,595*

Your friend probably got a good deal no?

SUBARU ANNOUNCES PRICING ON 2015 XV CROSSTREK® MODELS

- Well- equipped XV Crosstrek begins at $21,595
- Subaru-developed driver assist technology, EyeSight® now available
- XV Crosstrek Hybrid pricing holds the line at $25,995
- New multimedia systems with rear vision camera standard

Cherry Hill, N.J. - Subaru of America, Inc., which has posted record-breaking sales every year for the past six years, today announced pricing on the enhanced 2015 XV Crosstrek models. The 2015 XV Crosstrek models will arrive into retailers in December.

Pricing on the newly added XV Crosstrek 2.0i begins at $21,595. With just a $300 increase over previous year, the new Premium and Limited trim levels feature the updated Subaru STARLINK Multimedia system. The XV Crosstrek Hybrid pricing remains at $25,995.

The versatile, fun-to-drive XV Crosstrek combines bold five-door design, a highly capable chassis, best-in-class fuel economy and updated multimedia features. Standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, 8.7-inches of ground clearance, 17-inch alloy wheels and ample room make Subaru XV Crosstrek a high-capability crossover. The model is one of the most fuel-efficient all-wheel-drive crossover utility vehicles in America, delivering 34-mpg EPA-estimated highway fuel economy.

Both the gasoline and hybrid models feature the Subaru BOXER engine and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive standard. All gasoline models are powered by a 148-horsepower 2.0-liter BOXER engine, teamed to Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive via a five-speed manual transmission or available second- generation Lineartronic® Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT).

The XV Crosstrek Hybrid model's 2.0-liter Subaru BOXER engine uses a slightly higher compression ratio (10.8:1) than in the standard gas model (10.5:1), along with reduced-friction piston rings and valve springs and a higher capacity exhaust gas regeneration (EGR) system with an EGR cooler. The main performance boost comes from the permanent-magnet AC synchronous electric drive motor, which produces 13.4 hp from 1,500 rpm-6,000 rpm, for a total hybrid system output of 160 hp at 6,000 rpm. The starter and alternator functions are combined into one unit.

A 100.8V, 13.5kW nickel-metal hydride battery, with 0.55kWh capacity, is located under a revised rear floor area. The battery is placed low in the vehicle to help with handling agility.

The Subaru XV Crosstrek incorporates numerous body and chassis enhancements for its expanded-capability mission. Black side- and wheel-arch cladding, rocker spoiler and roof rails provide a rugged contrast to the body color. The higher ride height, body-color roof spoiler and unique-design 17-inch wheels bolster the Subaru XV Crosstrek model's go-anywhere stance and attitude.

Offered at $22,295, the 2.0i XV Crosstrek Premium models offer as standard, the All-Weather Package (heated front seats, heated side mirrors and windshield wiper de-icer); a tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth® control switches; power windows, door locks and side mirrors; multi-function display with fuel economy information; security system with engine immobilizer; outside temperature gauge, and carpeted floormats. They also include a waterproof rear cargo area tray, and cargo area cover. Award winning driver assist technology, EyeSight is now available on XV Crosstrek Premium models paired with STARLINK™ 7.0 Multimedia Plus for $1,295.

XV Crosstreks feature an updated, sportier instrument panel including a multi-function display with a trip computer located in the center of the dashboard. Rich-looking appointments and details abound, including soft-touch materials for the dashboard, door trim and center console armrest. Welcome Lighting is now standard on XV Crosstrek Limited, Hybrid and Hybrid Touring models.

The XV Crosstrek 2.0i, 2.0i Premium and XV Crosstrek Hybrid models offer a new 6.2-inch touch display with rear vision camera, swipe and scroll multi-function control for audio and other features. System features include Subaru STARLINK™ smartphone integration with Aha™ Infotainment, Pandora® and iHeart® Radio. (4 speakers for the 2.0i; 6 speakers for Premium trims).

XV Crosstrek 2.0i Premium with EyeSight and 2.0i Limited also get new STARLINK™ 7.0" Multimedia system with standard system's features plus 7-inch multi touch gesture display screen, SiriusXM® Satellite Radio (subscription required), voice activated controls and dual USB ports (6 speakers). A color LCD in the gauge cluster has been added.

In addition to featuring the Lineartronic CVT as standard, the Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited adds leather-trimmed upholstery, steering wheel and shift handle; automatic climate control system; auto on/off headlights, a rear seat armrest with dual cupholders and turn signal exterior mirrors. Limited trim models start at $24,795.

Standard on all Hybrid trims, Keyless Access with Push Button start system is an available option on XV Crosstrek Limited and now features Pin Code Access. Available on XV Crosstrek Limited and Standard on the XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring is the Subaru STARLINK™ Multimedia Navigation system which adds navigation, SiriusXM NavTraffic® and NavWeather® services (subscription required).
2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK
Model/Trim Transmission Applicable Option Code MSRP MSRP + destination and delivery
2.0i 5MT 01 $21,595 $22,445
2.0i Premium 5MT 11 $22,295 $23,145
2.0i Premium CVT 12, 13, 14 $23,295 $24,145
2.0i Limited CVT 21, 22, 23 $24,795 $25,645
2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK HYBRID
Hybrid CVT 01 $25,995 $26,845
Hybrid Touring CVT 31 $29,295 $30,145

2015 SUBARU XV CROSSTREK OPTION PACKAGES

CODE 01 Standard Model 2.0i Base or Hybrid N/A
CODE 11 Standard Model 2.0i Premium 5MT N/A
CODE 12 Standard Model 2.0i Premium CVT N/A
CODE 13 Moonroof $1,000
CODE 14 EyeSight® & Subaru STARLINK™7.0 Multimedia Plus $1,295
CODE 21 Standard Model 2.0i Limited N/A
CODE 22 Moonroof + Navigation System + Keyless Access with Push-Button Start $2,000
CODE 23 Moonroof + Navigation System +Keyless Access with Push-Button Start + EyeSight $2,795
CODE 31 Standard Model Hybrid Touring N/A
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/21/2...cing-official/
Old 11-21-14, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Nice choice. Definitely a vehicle I'd consider in the sub 30k range of crossovers, but alas, the NX awaits! Speaking of which, I'll be asking for the bottle very soon!
Well, if it's an NX you want, I'm planning an NX full-review as soon as they are available. There may be some on the way to local area Lexus shops now....and it's about time. Lexus, IMO, has really dragged their feet getting this vehicle to market.