Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda CX3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 07:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Levi68
Not sure if I want Lexus to have a competitor, unless only hybrid powered, like the CT 200h.

I still don't think these new small SUV's are selling that well. I don't see that many compared to hatches.
they are selling well in Europe... thats what it is really for (and Asia).
Old 11-23-14, 04:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is best looking Mazda ever... and easily best looking small SUV.

Long hood, side profile crease is what makes it so good... interior is well designed even if some plastics look hard. But I hope it is relatively affordable.

Few minor things that annoy me - back design is copied from KIA and Mazda should not copy KIA, and also that all new Mazda's still have monochrome trip computers, including 6. Considering that this model is going to be $40k in Europe, i would prefer if they put color screen in there.

Overall superb effort.

Yes, you're right. I see Kia Sportage, though not a bad thing since the Kia is pretty decent looking overall, though right now, this CX-3 is nicest in its class!

Speaking of which, this class is filling up quick!

Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage
Honda HRV
Nissan Juke
Subaru XV Crosstrek (more expensive and blurred with the pricier compact segment)
Chevy Trax
Jeep Renegade
Jeep Compass
Fiat 500L (more of a niche car and no AWD, but might be cross-shopped)
Mitsubishi RVR / Outlander Sport

Major Players missing:
Ford
Toyota
VW

Trying to think what else...
Attached Thumbnails Mazda CX3?-1374690254_4.jpg  
Old 11-23-14, 06:36 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You forgot the MINI Countryman. It was one of the first. We just picked up one in All4S trim and I gotta say this thing is super fun to drive. And as a 6'2" large framed guy, I fit in it quite comfortably.
Old 11-23-14, 07:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Buick Encore?
Old 11-23-14, 08:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by corradoMR2

Major Players missing:
Ford
Toyota
VW

Trying to think what else...
Ford EcoSport
Toyota Urban Cruiser and Toyota Rush
VW - Jeti maybe?

So they have them, just not in the USA.

But Toyota will certainly have their next gen in USA as well... current ones are way too old.
Old 11-23-14, 08:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Buick Encore?
The Encore is underpowered. The wimpy 1.4L engine, even with a turbo, produces only 138 HP and 148 ft-lbs. of torque, which, IMO, specially with AWD, is simply not enough for a small SUV. Ditto for the upcoming Chevrolet Trax, the Encore's less-expensive twin.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-23-14, 01:38 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

it is best looking Mazda ever... and easily best looking small SUV.

Long hood, side profile crease is what makes it so good... interior is well designed even if some plastics look hard. But I hope it is relatively affordable.

Few minor things that annoy me - back design is copied from KIA and Mazda should not copy KIA, and also that all new Mazda's still have monochrome trip computers, including 6. Consdering that this model is going to be $40k in Europe, i would prefer if they put color screen in there.

Overall superb effort.
$40k??. The Nissan Juke starts at $17k before tax. They might shift some at $30k but anymore than that is Qashqai territory and this is no Qashqai.
Old 11-23-14, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
$40k??. The Nissan Juke starts at $17k before tax. They might shift some at $30k but anymore than that is Qashqai territory and this is no Qashqai.
I meant in Europe... it will be certainly more expensive than cheapo Juke.

Plus, it is made in Japan, right? So extra customs compared to Nissans.

(and plus CX5 is a lot more expensive than Qashqai)
Old 11-23-14, 10:02 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

I meant in Europe... it will be certainly more expensive than cheapo Juke.

Plus, it is made in Japan, right? So extra customs compared to Nissans.

(and plus CX5 is a lot more expensive than Qashqai)
I meant in Europe too. UK to be exact. A mate has just got a new Juke and the facelift model is pretty good actually , with a significant uplift in quality.

Toyota need to get their finger out, they've got nothing competitive in this market.
Old 11-24-14, 04:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I meant in Europe too. UK to be exact. A mate has just got a new Juke and the facelift model is pretty good actually , with a significant uplift in quality.

Toyota need to get their finger out, they've got nothing competitive in this market.
Well Juke is very cheap - Mazda will not be cheap like Juke... and whenever Toyota comes out, it wont be cheap either.

Juke interior might be improved, but it is at least one class lower than CX-3's.

If you value cars by pound, Nissan's cant be beaten right now. Juke around here costs like Yaris with nice equipment and Qashqai cost 15%-25% less than Rav4 and CX-5
Old 11-24-14, 05:07 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Well Juke is very cheap - Mazda will not be cheap like Juke... and whenever Toyota comes out, it wont be cheap either.

Juke interior might be improved, but it is at least one class lower than CX-3's.

If you value cars by pound, Nissan's cant be beaten right now. Juke around here costs like Yaris with nice equipment and Qashqai cost 15%-25% less than Rav4 and CX-5
Well, I haven't seen a CX-3 in the flesh, or had the chance to see the interior quality, but it looks good in the photos. My only comment about recent Mazdas is that they often look good in photos but when you sit in them and have a poke around they can feel very flimsy and lightweight. If they start these about Ł19k in the UK - maybe up to Ł24k for a fully loaded, all-singing and dancing, 4x4 version, then it should do well.

Nissan have had the market pretty much to themselves with the Juke and it has been enormously successful - they rest are playing catch-up.
Old 11-25-14, 02:30 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it in the flesh, and yes; it is good in person.

Executed very well, especially considering its price segment.
Old 11-25-14, 02:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love it. Would take this one over the Mazda3.
Old 11-29-14, 10:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A 2017 Mazda CX-3 MPS Would Look Something Like This

The Mazda CX-3 already looks pretty sporty for a crossover its size, though as this rendering by X-Tomi shows, it can be taken even further.

He hasn’t done much, merely lowering the car onto some 18-inch wheels and turning all the chrome bits black, but it works.

Mazda most likely will never make an MPS/MazdaSpeed version of the CX-3, but maybe they should reconsider. The first generation Mazda6 MPS was unusual in its class because it had all-wheel drive, so perhaps they could revive that but in a taller and shorter package – again, it seems very unlikely to happen, but it would make for an interesting niche vehicle to fight the Nissan Juke Nismo (or a future Fiat 500X Abarth).

But before all this could even be fathomed, Mazda needs a small capacity turbo petrol engine. These units are the norm now and the Japanese auto
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/11/a-2...ould-look.html
Old 12-09-14, 11:00 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to wait for a ****ty Autoblog review.

The Mazda CX-3 has taken its time to join the small SUV class, but it certainly makes up for lost time. CarAdvice was among the first media in the world to drive the new CX-3 at the Anglesea proving ground in Victoria, Australia.

The engine line-up includes a 2-litre petrol and 1.5-litre turbo-diesel, with front and all-wheel-drive versions available.

Up front the Mazda CX-3 shares its interior design with the new Mazda 2, which is no bad thing as it looks funky and cool.

The Mazda CX-3 sits between Mazda 2 and Mazda 3, wearing a price tag of $22-32,000 when it arrives in showrooms in the second quarter of 2015.

Quick Reply: Mazda CX3?