Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-14, 01:16 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
There is more to luxury than leather seats and pretty face.

The 6 is a very nice, I think we can all agree. However this is far from a luxury car...
If we are talking interiors exclusively than I fail to see what makes 3 series or IS luxury cars interior wise? Especially previous gen 3 series. Design wise they are not that great, feature wise they are all ok
Old 11-24-14, 01:23 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
If we are talking interiors exclusively than I fail to see what makes 3 series or IS luxury cars interior wise? Especially previous gen 3 series. Design wise they are not that great, feature wise they are all ok
agreed. BMW 3 series is a turn off to anyone who wants luxury.
Old 11-24-14, 01:29 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Options Options Options...
I can get the 3 series in any flavor I want, I can get it with a frugal motor and with a high horsepower screamer, I can get it as a wagon, coupe and a sedan, I can get it as a hybrid.

Materials and build:
There is a solidity in the materials that just isn't their in lesser quality cars, same goes with the trim, buttons, the feel of it etc.

Stuff like leather and a pretty face only scratch the surface of what a luxury car is and how its built.
Old 11-24-14, 01:33 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

If I had to go back to a beater for a long commute, this would be a strong contender.

Acura is losing me, design-wise.
Old 11-24-14, 01:37 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by chikoo
agreed. BMW 3 series is a turn off to anyone who wants luxury.
Yup , the people that buy them do it as a protest.
Old 11-24-14, 01:59 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by doge
Options Options Options...
I can get the 3 series in any flavor I want, I can get it with a frugal motor and with a high horsepower screamer, I can get it as a wagon, coupe and a sedan, I can get it as a hybrid.

Materials and build:
There is a solidity in the materials that just isn't their in lesser quality cars, same goes with the trim, buttons, the feel of it etc.

Stuff like leather and a pretty face only scratch the surface of what a luxury car is and how its built.
a BMW 3 series hardly used to be the shining example of solidity except for the chassis/handling.

Truth be told, I have not sat in one in 3 years now since the last turn off.
Old 11-26-14, 06:57 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW 3 interiors are hardly bad by any standards, but they don't scream luxury like MB, Lexus, or even Audi. But they could do much better in their lesser offerings. MB is finally doing it better in the CLA/GLA. The X1 is atrocious.
Old 11-26-14, 07:07 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The last few BMW 328i that I test drove had fake leather. Even my Mazda6 had real leather ventilated (no fan) seating, better bolsters, leather steering, and even after 7 years none of the interior parts were faded. The 328i(s) that I test drove all had fake leather, no ventilation, no heated seats. Interior plastic parts had color peeling off of them in under 2 years, especially interior arm rests/door handles. To boot, the sound system was worth not turning on. Solid chassis, good handling. that is it.

edit: quick search reveals this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=776734

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213684

Last edited by chikoo; 11-26-14 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 07:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
BMW 3 interiors are hardly bad by any standards, but they don't scream luxury like MB, Lexus, or even Audi. But they could do much better in their lesser offerings. MB is finally doing it better in the CLA/GLA. The X1 is atrocious.
I agree that the interior of the 3 Series is a bit minimalist (aka sparse) compared to some of it's competition. No issues at all with the quality of the materials or fit and finish though. We traded a Mazda3 which we REALLY liked when we got our car, and shopped the 6.
Old 03-06-15, 12:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Compared to the sea of "me-too" mid-sized sedans, the Mazda6 stands out. Sleek styling and sporty handling make it more engaging than the norm, yet excellent fuel economy shows it has a practical side.
Old 03-06-15, 12:55 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Funny. I own the new "almost" fully loaded GLA250 AMG sport, interior is crap for a 48K car. Mazda6 has better interior feel than entry level Benz. Current 3 series interior feels like Honda Accord maybe worse. The selling points seem to be more options, RWD, brand prestige, and aesthetics, same about Lexus IS, but IS have that reliable factor that Germans don't. New Mazda6 solidify further more of Mazda mid-size offering, I really don't see a wise reason to get 3 series unless RWD is a must.
Old 03-06-15, 03:35 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Funny. I own the new "almost" fully loaded GLA250 AMG sport, interior is crap for a 48K car. Mazda6 has better interior feel than entry level Benz. Current 3 series interior feels like Honda Accord maybe worse. The selling points seem to be more options, RWD, brand prestige, and aesthetics, same about Lexus IS, but IS have that reliable factor that Germans don't. New Mazda6 solidify further more of Mazda mid-size offering, I really don't see a wise reason to get 3 series unless RWD is a must.
unfortunately brand power / prestige seems to be deciding factor these days.
Old 03-06-15, 07:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
like it very much except the 'bolt on' screen in the middle - i don't like mb doing it either - i think it looks terrible.
Agree...it does look cheap, regardless of the brand. But that can be forgiven, to some extent, if it is a relatively easy-to-use system (by video-screen standards) and gives good data.

(I say IF because I personally have not sampled that particular screen)

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-06-15 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-07-15, 09:20 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
unfortunately brand power / prestige seems to be deciding factor these days.
Yes, I can see that being an important factor for most consumers. I owned 2IS, and it's a much better, more solid car than the GLA. 3IS is ok, but I don't feel it being as luxurious as 2IS.
Old 03-07-15, 08:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
3IS is ok, but I don't feel it being as luxurious as 2IS.
You're right. 3IS is a noticeably cheaper interior than 2IS.

Quick Reply: 2016 mazda 6