Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most stolen vehicles by State

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-14, 12:16 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fearnight
Makes you wonder the reasoning. Could be because these models do not typically come with state of the art security systems, proximity keys to start, GPS tracking, etc. Also, like the article mentions, demand for parts will play a role in the targeting of specific models.

You would think high dollar luxury cars would be the most stolen, but they always come with extensive anti theft options standard.

When I had my S2000, I do remember lots of owners were victims of having their soft tops cut open and their seats stolen. Very rarely was the car itself ever stolen, because it would not start without the proximity key being within range.
Older common models are frequently the most stolen by sheer numbers. My '83 Honda Prelude was stolen off the streets of Queens, NY in 1993. Never recovered...
Old 11-24-14, 03:45 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fearnight
Makes you wonder the reasoning. Could be because these models do not typically come with state of the art security systems, proximity keys to start, GPS tracking, etc. Also, like the article mentions, demand for parts will play a role in the targeting of specific models.

You would think high dollar luxury cars would be the most stolen, but they always come with extensive anti theft options standard.

When I had my S2000, I do remember lots of owners were victims of having their soft tops cut open and their seats stolen. Very rarely was the car itself ever stolen, because it would not start without the proximity key being within range.
It's usually never about cool or expensive cars. And the deterrent is not really the anti-theft systems either. It's always been about demand for parts. I bet the Accord and Caravan on the list isn't even the most recent model year, probably mid to late 00s. I guarantee if everyone was able to own an S-class, it would shoot to the top of the most stolen list, anti-theft system or not.
Old 11-25-14, 01:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple years ago I had a classmate who's mid-90's Prelude(that was all beat to hell) got stolen when he was down here in Vegas taking an exam.
Old 11-25-14, 05:42 PM
darkgt23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love how these are stereotypical to the states they are in
Old 11-26-14, 02:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would have guessed that Penna would have been a state with a pickup as the most stolen.
Why? Pickups, especially full-size ones, tend to predominate in Western ranching/mountain areas. You DO, of course, see a lot of pickups in West Virginia, right next door to Pennsylvania, but they are mostly older ones, not new, due to the state's generally low average income. And, in West Virginia, almost everyone has guns, so many potential thieves are simply afraid to operate there. But, not surprisingly, of those vehicles that ARE stolen in WV, the Ford F-sries is tops.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Why? Pickups, especially full-size ones, tend to predominate in Western ranching/mountain areas.
When you look at sales of pickups, they sell in big numbers in most of the country.
Old 11-26-14, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When you look at sales of pickups, they sell in big numbers in most of the country.

True, no arguments there. But there are still patterns. They still predominate in the areas you would expect them to...mountains, ranching, construction, etc.....

Demand for the full-sized Dodge Ram is increasing across the country, but apparently the demand for stolen used parts hasn't caught up yet.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-26-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-26-14, 08:13 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

that's insane.
54000 accords vs 14000 camrys

why aren't there more camry thefts.....
are accords being driven longer? I hardly see any pre-2000 camrys on the road anymore.
Old 11-26-14, 09:50 PM
Mazinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=pman6;8803974 I hardly see any pre-2000 camrys on the road anymore.[/QUOTE]

The export market for those is huge