Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Most stolen vehicles by State

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Most stolen vehicles by State

Vox News Link

What are America's car thieves' vehicles of choice? No, not Ferraris or even, really, any other type of hot sports car. Rather, it's sensible Honda sedans and Ford F-150s.

According to data from the non-profit National Insurance Crime Bureau, the most-stolen car in the US in 2013 was the Honda Accord. Here's how those thefts break down by state, as mapped by Priceonomics.

Maybe it's not what you'd expect — after all: Dodge Caravans?

But there are two big reasons why these vehicles are stolen most. One, they're everywhere, as NICB spokesman Frank Scafidi told Priceonomics. Indeed, according to Kelley Blue Book, Ford F-series pickups and Chevrolet Silverados were the No. 1 and No. 2-selling vehicles in the US this year, as of August.

Second, those vehicles are stolen not to drive but to sell for parts, Scafidi said — lots of people own Honda Accords, which means lots of people at some point need parts for Honda Accords. Where there's that kind of demand, supplying parts can be super-profitable.
Old 11-19-14, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Notice one of the few exceptions to the general pattern......Vermont. Subarus have always been popular in New England and some of the Rocky Mountain states.
Old 11-19-14, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So basically Chevy, Ford, Honda, Dodge, Subaru and Nissan.. WATCH OUT! My Lexus seems to be ok for now
Old 11-19-14, 12:49 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Caravan on the list cracking me up
Old 11-19-14, 01:15 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caravan is no joke. My family had 3 of those over 2 decades. Basically our family beater vehicle. All 3 stolen. I'm sure our insurance company was thrilled when we stopped buying them. Between the multiple replacement transmissions and stolen vehicles, they shelled out quite a lot.
Old 11-19-14, 05:48 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Lot of those Super Duties end up south of the border.
Old 11-19-14, 06:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Lot of those Super Duties end up south of the border.
True of a lot of stolen pickups and 4wd suvs, they end up in Mexico or central America.

As for how not to get your car stolen, drive a manual transmission. Most of the stupid punk kid thieves now days don't know how to drive one.

Also, I think this report is kind of garbage. Of course there are more stolen F150's and Silverados than anything else, they've been best sellers for the past 30 years.

What you really need to do is narrow it down by model year registration for a particular make/model and compare that to the number of that same model year/make/model stolen. Granted there aren't as many EK Honda Civics(1996-2000) on the road now days, but I bet if you do the comparison like I said, the probability of getting your 1996 Civic hatchback stolen is about 1000% greater than getting your 1996 F150 stolen.
Old 11-19-14, 06:52 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So basically Chevy, Ford, Honda, Dodge, Subaru and Nissan.. WATCH OUT! My Lexus seems to be ok for now
Lexus rarely break down....no demand for Lexus parts
Old 11-19-14, 06:57 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Lol Honda Accord in SOCAL.
Old 11-19-14, 07:26 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vermont LOL
Old 11-23-14, 07:06 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Between the multiple replacement transmissions and stolen vehicles, they shelled out quite a lot.
why would your insurance company shell out payments for replacement transmissions? what was your deductible for that?
Old 11-23-14, 07:19 AM
03LeXsC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol yea, my family's caravan was also stolen in philly, that's because those motors go bad if you don't change the oil every 3k. When they found it, it was in the worst part of N. Philly (ghetto) the police just told us where it was but wouldn't even meet us there. We had to wait for a tow truck for an hour before we got it home and then the insurance agent came to do his report. Come to find out the caravan was totaled. So they just wrote a check out. Btw they also had Honda civic that was also stolen. They just don't have any luck, even thou the honda had an alarm but if they really want it, they will get it no matter what.
Old 11-23-14, 08:15 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
why would your insurance company shell out payments for replacement transmissions? what was your deductible for that?
LOL, it read wrong. The insurance shelled out for the stolen vehicles. The extended warranty companies shelled or for the transmissions.
Old 11-24-14, 11:28 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Makes you wonder the reasoning. Could be because these models do not typically come with state of the art security systems, proximity keys to start, GPS tracking, etc. Also, like the article mentions, demand for parts will play a role in the targeting of specific models.

You would think high dollar luxury cars would be the most stolen, but they always come with extensive anti theft options standard.

When I had my S2000, I do remember lots of owners were victims of having their soft tops cut open and their seats stolen. Very rarely was the car itself ever stolen, because it would not start without the proximity key being within range.

Last edited by fearnight; 11-24-14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-24-14, 12:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have guessed that Penna would have been a state with a pickup as the most stolen.

Quick Reply: Most stolen vehicles by State