Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2016 Audi S6

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 03:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2016 Audi S6

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-...photo-3083995/

Engine: Twin-Turbo 4.0L V8
Power: 450 HP / 406 LB-FT
Transmission: 7-Speed DCT
0-60 Time: 4.3 Seconds
Top Speed: 155 MPH (limited)
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Front
Curb Weight: 4,200 LBS (est)
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 14.1 CU-FT
Base Price: $76,000 (est)

Minutes after spending time in the refreshed 2016 Audi A6 in Germany, we were tossed the keys to its enthusiast-tuned sibling, the Audi S6. In similar manner to its lesser brethren, the S6 has also been updated for the 2016 model year with a new look, a boost in power and additional technology.

Its aggressive demeanor is heralded by a redesigned signature single-frame grille, resculpted bumpers (front and rear) and new lights on both ends – the Matrix LED headlamps fitted to our European test car are impressive, but the US DOT has ensure that we won't see them (pun intended) for now. The cabin appointments have gone even further upscale, and the enhanced MMI infotainment system now runs more fluidly thanks to a faster NVIDIA graphics chip. The primary instrument cluster, facing the operator, has been redesigned to offer its own duplicate display to ease the driver's workload.

Under the hood, the twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter TFSI V8 is bumped to 450 horsepower (a gain of 30), while torque remains the same at 406 pound-feet. The standard gearbox is Audi's seven-speed S-tronic dual-clutch unit, sending power to all four wheels through the automaker's rear-biased Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system.

Driving Notes
  • Don't be one of the misinformed who believe that the Audi S6 competes with the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG. All three may be at the top of each automaker's midsize sedan offerings in North America, but that's only because Audi doesn't offer us the flagship RS6 – its true adversary to the M5 and E63. For reference, the S6 sits at the same performance level as the BMW 550i, which is its closest competitor today. Interestingly enough, without the discontinued E550, Mercedes doesn't offer anything a direct rival (yet).
  • The cabin of the standard A6 is very luxurious, but the pleated leather upholstery, contrasting stitching and carbon fiber trim with matte aluminum accents of the S6 raise the appointments to magnificent levels. As is the case with all Audis, build quality borders on flawless and all of the materials are top notch. The passenger compartment is as comfortable and accommodating as it looks, with supportive and well-bolstered front seats, room for three adults in the second row and a generous trunk.
  • Our test car, fitted with the optional sport exhaust (note the black tailpipes), delivered a burly growl that easily permeated the interior. Unlike many other automakers these days, Audi doesn't pipe any engine sound or exhaust note into the cabin. The natural exhaust note is deep and soothing, not obnoxious in the least, and any increase in volume is accompanied by a firm push in the backside.
  • Power is up, but the 2016 model doesn't feel significantly quicker than its predecessor, likely because the torque figure remains the same. That said, launch-control starts will easily beat factory claims (the 2013 model was clocked at 3.7 seconds to 60 mph) and we have no doubt this model will do as well, or better.
  • Dynamically, the S6 drives with a heavy, firmly planted deportment. It sticks well, with the Quattro AWD system putting the power down very nicely. Feedback is good, and there's an overwhelming feeling of confidence from behind the wheel. Our Euro model boasted carbon-ceramic brakes, which acted like four anchors, but they are not offered on the S6 in the States.
  • If we were asked to improve on the S6, we'd only do two things: First, we would fit a steering wheel-mounted button that immediately toggles the vehicle to the driver's favorite sport settings – much like the "M" button BMW offers. As of now, running through a couple of menus to put Audi's Drive Select in Dynamic mode takes far too long. Second, we would paint the inside of those signature exterior aluminum mirrors matte black, as their bright surfacing reflects back towards the driver, causing distractions. That's it.
  • The S6 has always been one of our top picks for a performance sedan, at least one that will never see track duty. Its manners are impeccable around town and on the highway, where its capabilities are overkill, but it simply does not have the raw evil edge to take it to the next level of performance. We're fine with its athletic gentleman-like street manners, as we'd rather hit the racing circuit in a lightweight two-door sports car anyway.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/2...ew-quick-spin/
Old 12-02-14, 11:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Aged, but still a looker and performer. We had an S6 trade in not too long ago. The acceleration is intense
Old 12-02-14, 01:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't tell an A3 from a S8..............A5 from the Prologue.............
Attached Thumbnails Quick Spin: 2016 Audi S6-yawning2.jpg  

Last edited by BNR34; 12-02-14 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 05:35 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I can't tell an A3 from a S8..............A5 from the Prologue.............
so how do you feel about BMWs then?

I love the A6 / S6 looks.
Old 12-02-14, 05:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
so how do you feel about BMWs then?

I love the A6 / S6 looks.
They all look the same........worse is MB, C/E/S really look identical, just S/M/L.

Good for the 320i/C250 guys, debadge it and can tell people it is a $140k car.
Old 12-02-14, 05:55 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Luv this car. The one in the picture looks especially appealing to me.
Old 12-03-14, 01:11 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
They all look the same........worse is MB, C/E/S really look identical, just S/M/L.

Good for the 320i/C250 guys, debadge it and can tell people it is a $140k car.
Why leave out Lexus? Aren't they attempting the same with the similar front ends of their cars? The whole family look thing.
Old 12-03-14, 04:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Why leave out Lexus? Aren't they attempting the same with the similar front ends of their cars? The whole family look thing.
well, first of all, I like S6.

But also, Lexus isnt doing the same thing... Lexus vehicles still look very different, even with predator grille, they are all very different.

Not to mention interiors.
Old 12-03-14, 04:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I love it!
Old 12-03-14, 05:53 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

don't know why a lot of the new Audi's are shown in red these days....hate red (unless its a Ferrari).

Not the S6...but an A6.....
Old 12-03-14, 06:39 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont like the big round steering wheel. Whu cant they make it straight on the bottom?
Old 12-03-14, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
But also, Lexus isnt doing the same thing... Lexus vehicles still look very different, even with predator grille, they are all very different.

Not to mention interiors.
that's today, and because of looong life cycles. spindle grill has different 'interpretations' but is there. wouldn't be surprised at a 4gs refresh making it closer to IS.

IS/NX/RC/CT have very similar interiors and expect rest to get closer too.

none of this is a bad thing to me... except i've never been on board with the spindle. met someone the other day who has the means to buy an LS but said they absolutely would not now "because of what they did to the front end". lexus wanted polarizing and they got it!

back to the S6 - bland shape but very nice details, and performance is amazing.