Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Has anyone ever been burned leasing a car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 02:35 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I believe your insurance covers any licensed driver lease or own.
That is the case for temporary, permission-granted use - but not necessarily for common or exclusive use by another party..

Of course, you should check with your own insurance company before you sign your lease.
Old 11-21-14, 03:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Leasing is pretty safe. Where people get taken is driving over their mileage limit or getting dinged for excessive wear and tear (dents, tears, abuse, etc). These things are all pretty clear and not hidden in the contract.

Leasing can actually work more to your advantage. Often, you can sell the vehicle privately before the lease is up for a price higher than what the car is worth in the lease contract (the residual). If you have such a situation, you can pocket the difference and "make money." I've done this on all my leases (GMC, VW, Audi) and used that as my down payment on the next one.
Old 11-21-14, 05:27 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving over mileage is not a big deal. That's some of the cheapest mileage you'll pay for the car. And if you trade it in before lease end for a car of the same make, any dealer will waive the charge by simply paying your buyout. Dealers do not pay tax on the purchase of vehicles, so that cost savings is passed onto the seller (you).

The money you might lose on a lease (due to wear and tear, mileage), is the exact same money you'd lose on a financed car. These are not unexpected costs - but there are those who are ignorant of the contract they've signed, and think that they don't "own" the car makes the problems with the car someone else's problems.
Old 11-21-14, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Driving over mileage is not a big deal. That's some of the cheapest mileage you'll pay for the car.
Depends on the lease-contract. That's why I advise people to read it carefully.
Old 11-21-14, 06:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
My buddy rolls his leases around the end of year 2 of a 3 year lease (Another factor for him that I did not mention above is that he is usually over his allotted miles, for which any charge is also waived).
This is the important point to realize. They are not forgiving payments or waiving mileage charges. They are trading him out and paying off the car.

Lets say for the sake of argument his residual is $25,000 at the end of the lease, and he has $5,000 in payments remaining. What they are doing is essentially giving him $30,000 in trade, and paying off his car. Your buyout is always the residual plus all remaining lease payments.

Something that I am curious about, given that in TN (and some other states) sales tax is paid on the purchase at the end of the lease, does the lease contract allow the lessee to assign the purchase right to someone else, basically sell that right? Otherwise if a lessee were going to sell the vehicle, they would first have to buy and pay sales tax, and then sell, with that buyer also paying sales tax. Do Lexus leases allow for this assignment of the purchase right?
Its not a question of assigning the purchase right. Leasing is a method of financing. You or I can buy our leases out right now, or that guy over there can buy my lease out, or I can buy yours or you can buy mine. Every lease has a payoff, just like a loan. Taxation is a separate issue, but I can tell you that many times I have traded in my leased cars, and I have received money over and above the buyout on those leases, but the title to the vehicle never passes through my hands.

When a dealership takes a vehicle on trade, they don't take title to it. When you pull the chain of title for a used car for sale, the ownership chain passes from one owner to the other, the dealer never takes title. Tax is due when a vehicle is titled.

Originally Posted by Daspyda
That is the case for temporary, permission-granted use - but not necessarily for common or exclusive use by another party..
This is just absolutely untrue. The person who is on the lease contract is responsible for the vehicle. Who that person allows to drive the car is immaterial. As for insurance, if you are a driver and you are insured, you are insured to drive any vehicle on your policy. For instance, both our cars right now are leased. I am the only person on both leases, my wife is not on either contract. We have insurance, both cars are on the policy, both of us drivers are on the policy, one of us is the primary on each (this is an insurance requirement, if you have an equal number of drivers and cars, one has to be the primary on each)...nobody cares who is on the contract.
Old 11-22-14, 06:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda

Of course, you should check with your own insurance company before you sign your lease.
Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is just absolutely untrue. The person who is on the lease contract is responsible for the vehicle. Who that person allows to drive the car is immaterial. As for insurance, if you are a driver and you are insured, you are insured to drive any vehicle on your policy. For instance, both our cars right now are leased. I am the only person on both leases, my wife is not on either contract. We have insurance, both cars are on the policy, both of us drivers are on the policy, one of us is the primary on each (this is an insurance requirement, if you have an equal number of drivers and cars, one has to be the primary on each)...nobody cares who is on the contract.
I'm not taking sides on this issue, but I think it needs to be pointed out that Daspyda lives in FL and you live in MD, and that leasing and insurance regulations (and what is permitted in contracts) often varies by state.
Old 11-22-14, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not taking sides on this issue, but I think it needs to be pointed out that Daspyda lives in FL and you live in MD, and that leasing and insurance regulations (and what is permitted in contracts) often varies by state.
Leasing contracts are lender specific, but they all pretty much say the same thing. Why would a lender like LFS have different contracts for different states? They don't.

The logic in his argument is fundamentally flawed. For what he's saying to be true would require a level of cooperation between the insurance company and the leasing company that doesn't exist. The insurance company does not have any knowledge of what may or not be written in the lease contract, nor do they care. They provide coverage for the required amounts specified by you as the insured. You then send proof of insurance to the leasing company for their records. The leasing company is named as the leinholder on the insurance policy. Who is on the lease contract and whether or not an insurance claim will be paid are separate issues.

These things aren't as different from state to state as you may think.
Old 11-22-14, 05:58 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, the value can change, but the buyout does not. The buyout is in the contract when you sign at the time of delivery.

For example, on my 2011 Tacoma lease, the buyout was around $18.5k. It was Toyota's estimate of the value of the truck after 3 years and 36k miles. However, their buyoff estimate was quite a bit off and it was worth much more than that at lease end (though that was helped by low miles of around 24k). Blue book trade in on it was around $25k, which is what I got for it. I was able to pocket the $6,500 when I traded it in. Or, had I decided to keep the Tacoma, even though the value was $25k, I could have bought it for $18,500 per the contract.

If the trade in value had been less than the buyout of $18.5k, I would have just turned it in, without having to pay anything but the disposition fee.
How do you get the dealer to give you cash? Wouldn't they just try to give you a trade in credit instead?
Old 11-22-14, 07:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC300Es
How do you get the dealer to give you cash? Wouldn't they just try to give you a trade in credit instead?
The dealer will give you cash on a trade instead of a trade in credit. You don't want to put a bunch of money down on a lease.
Old 11-22-14, 08:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Just tell them you want the money in a check, rather than applying it to your next loan or lease.
Old 11-24-14, 07:20 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Leasing contracts are lender specific, but they all pretty much say the same thing. Why would a lender like LFS have different contracts for different states? They don't.

The logic in his argument is fundamentally flawed. For what he's saying to be true would require a level of cooperation between the insurance company and the leasing company that doesn't exist. The insurance company does not have any knowledge of what may or not be written in the lease contract, nor do they care. They provide coverage for the required amounts specified by you as the insured. You then send proof of insurance to the leasing company for their records. The leasing company is named as the leinholder on the insurance policy. Who is on the lease contract and whether or not an insurance claim will be paid are separate issues.

These things aren't as different from state to state as you may think.
If your insurance company asks "who is the Primary driver?", that may have some meaning in regard to your contract with the insurance company. And, yes, coverage may vary by state, but the price of the insurance reflects the risk. Why would an insurance company knowingly give you an A+++ rate when they would know a much less experienced kid would be driving it full-time?