Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think of the Jaguar XE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 09:29 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry What do you guys think of the Jaguar XE?

Jaguar is basically on its lifeline, looking to come back strong with what I think is it's final attempt at the entry-level luxury market. They did a huge ridiculous event with the reveal for the 2016 Jaguar XE which led to one of the most disappointing new cars I've seen in a while, especially when there was all that hype.

Do you guys agree that the car doesn't seem special enough to really capture the market and make a difference?

Here's the ridiculous XE reveal if you missed it.
Old 11-16-14, 09:31 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Here are some pictures, forgot to attach.

front view

top view

interior
Old 11-16-14, 09:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sure the dynamics will be on point, but honestly the exterior is pushing the same design language that the XF had back in 2009 and the interior is uninspired at best. I expect it to sell as well as the Cadillac ATS.
Old 11-16-14, 09:48 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I'm sure the dynamics will be on point, but honestly the exterior is pushing the same design language that the XF had back in 2009 and the interior is uninspired at best. I expect it to sell as well as the Cadillac ATS.
The only difference is that Jaguar is bragging about this "aluminum frame" that is supposed to be amazing. Also, the engines offered are pretty ambitious for the segment.

The ATS seems to be selling pretty well and did well for Cadillac. I think the Jaguar has more expectations and potentially more upside, but you are probably right.
Old 11-16-14, 09:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It does seem like this new Jag would compete with the ATS, among others. but I wonder if the ATS might have the advantage of more dealerships, bigger ad budgets and better name recognition at least here in the U.S.

Sales of the ATS seem to be cooling off. YTD thru October sales were 25k (-19%).
Old 11-16-14, 09:59 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

ATS-V should be enough of a marketing tool to boost sales significantly in US. If the ATS-V is good enough, the segment is ready for a contender... it's been snoozeville for a while now.
Old 11-16-14, 10:59 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

In regards to the exterior, everything is great from the front bumper to the front door. After that, the side profile is uninteresting to look at. I think the biggest omission is the missing chrome trim around the windows.

Interior, center dash is okay. I think the biggest problem there is the door panels. There is another XE thread which has a lot of bad opinions too
Old 11-16-14, 10:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I not all that impressed with it inside or out, does not do much for me, it just looks nice to me. I think it will have decent sales if reviews are good, better then the more expensive Jag models but I don't think it will be a hit or be much of a factor in the segment. People associate Jaguar with poor reliability and poor durability, even worse then German brands, and for less affluent buyers who will be in the market for a less expensive entry level Jag that will likely be a very big factor on whether to risk buying it. It could result in people skipping it or waiting until they hear what is going on with ones that sold if they are reliable or not.
Old 11-16-14, 11:09 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
I not all that impressed with it inside or out, does not do much for me, it just looks nice to me. I think it will have decent sales if reviews are good, better then the more expensive Jag models but I don't think it will be a hit or be much of a factor in the segment. People associate Jaguar with poor reliability and poor durability, even worse then German brands, and for less affluent buyers who will be in the market for a less expensive entry level Jag that will likely be a very big factor on whether to risk buying it. It could result in people skipping it or waiting until they hear what is going on with ones that sold if they are reliable or not.
I think you are right, but the XF seems to have changed peoples opinions of reliability. I think if the XE gets good reviews from the big media companies, they have a real chance.
Old 11-16-14, 11:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I personally love the car inside and out. Is it perfect? No, but it adds another choice for the consumer and gives Jaguar more volume which they can use.
Old 11-16-14, 11:59 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I personally love the car inside and out. Is it perfect? No, but it adds another choice for the consumer and gives Jaguar more volume which they can use.
I wish I agreed, I was looking forward to this car for a few years now. I am not yet giving up, I will have to wait to see it at the LA auto show and then hopefully give it a spin before i fully judge.
Old 11-16-14, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by carsoholic
I wish I agreed, I was looking forward to this car for a few years now. I am not yet giving up, I will have to wait to see it at the LA auto show and then hopefully give it a spin before i fully judge.
The way I see it. At least it's here now. Two things can happen 1. it fails like the X-Type and is discontinued or 2. they build on any weaknesses and expand the line, continuing to be committed to an entry level model. Hopefully this rumored R-S version with a supercharged V8 comes to fruition
Old 11-16-14, 12:17 PM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the R-S would be unbelievable. The car is handsome enough to get attention though, just isnt special enough in my opinion to be a leader
Old 11-16-14, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by carsoholic
Yes, the R-S would be unbelievable. The car is handsome enough to get attention though, just isnt special enough in my opinion to be a leader
Agreed it'll get thrown into the mix of an ever expanding entry level line-up. I see it being similar to the Mazda3 in that it'll be rewarding to own and drive, but it may be eclipsed by more prominent names in the segment like Civic, Corolla and Elantra, or in this case 3-Series, C-Class, A4, IS.
Old 11-16-14, 01:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Overall styling is OK but not unique or gorgeous like the XJ or Ftype.

The Multimedia technology on the Jags is dated....Germans are much more advanced with BMW's iDrive being the best imo.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of the Jaguar XE?