Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What do you guys think of the Jaguar XE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 07:24 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
In regards to the exterior, everything is great from the front bumper to the front door. After that, the side profile is uninteresting to look at. I think the biggest omission is the missing chrome trim around the windows.
The window trim is available in either gloss black or chrome, per Jaguar's online config tool.
Old 11-16-14, 08:37 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the XE will be a fully competitive car in the segment and could potentially double Jaguar's total sales volume. It may not completely set any new bar in the market, but it will continue to expand Jaguar awareness, which is still pretty low. That combined with their upcoming crossover will get even more people into Jaguars. I think they're doing well to try to expand their sales into some key segments of the luxury market.
Old 11-16-14, 09:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carsoholic
Do you guys agree that the car doesn't seem special enough to really capture the market and make a difference?
No. I don't agree with that.

It's great to have choices. When every Jane has a 3-Series or C-Class, it's nice to know you have options to make your ride distinctive.

Personally, I feel that this segment has been ho-hum in design for some time (A4 included), and the recent IS design surely gave it a kick in the *****. Jaguar decided to go ho-hum as well, and that may not be a bad thing for those who want understated British luxury (because Bentley, RR, and Lotus are surely not understated at all).

Handsome, yes. Gorgeous, no. I think a lot of people will initially mistake it for an XF. Good for the Jaguar family for brand recognition, but bad for the XF (which is due for a redesign anyways).

The interior looks dull, but it surely will feel great. Like other Jags, there are a lot of textures going on in their interiors: glass, chrome, plastic, leather, cloth, carpet, etc. The electronics are always any British cars' Achilles; somewhat dated and unreliable and slow. Is it a dealbreaker? Not for everyone.

The thing that this car needs to make a splash is performance. It needs to be fast. It needs to be lightweight. It needs to handle well. It will have a base 4-cylinder, turbo-4, and supercharged-6. Curb weight ranges from 3375 to 3670 lbs; similar to the current IS. Handling has yet to be determined.

So, I don't agree that this car ain't special enough. It surely will have people talking. And for those who have had enough of the 3-Series and C-Class, perhaps the choice of having a Jaguar may be good enough for many to give it a shot.
Old 11-16-14, 10:15 PM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I think the XE will be a fully competitive car in the segment and could potentially double Jaguar's total sales volume. It may not completely set any new bar in the market, but it will continue to expand Jaguar awareness, which is still pretty low. That combined with their upcoming crossover will get even more people into Jaguars. I think they're doing well to try to expand their sales into some key segments of the luxury market.
That's basically what I'm betting on. Tata Motors (parent co) stock seems to reflect the same mentality.
Old 11-17-14, 02:24 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I think it's nice........but not something with huge wow factor.

The XJR, XF and F-type have that wow factor............but so far, I'm not seeing that yet in the XE.

Maybe I'll rethink my opinion once Jag releases V8 engines for the XE
Old 11-17-14, 04:59 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exterior is a winner, interior, not so sure, but not bad.
Old 11-17-14, 09:16 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Overall styling is OK but not unique or gorgeous like the XJ or Ftype.

The Multimedia technology on the Jags is dated....Germans are much more advanced with BMW's iDrive being the best imo.
Had a 750 before the F Type. The current infotainment in Jags is nowhere near as bad as some people try to make it out to be. I can do everything in my Ftype that I could in my 7 series with the iDrive.

The XE will launch with the next gen infotainment that based on reviews is more competitive with other infotainment systems.

Think the XE will do well for jaguar. The X Type at one point sold about 30K per yr.
Old 11-17-14, 10:55 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
Had a 750 before the F Type. The current infotainment in Jags is nowhere near as bad as some people try to make it out to be. I can do everything in my Ftype that I could in my 7 series with the iDrive.

The XE will launch with the next gen infotainment that based on reviews is more competitive with other infotainment systems.

Think the XE will do well for jaguar. The X Type at one point sold about 30K per yr.
I also own a F-type. It's not the capability of the infotainment system that bothers me- it's the implementation. I hate that amount of time I spend not looking at the road because the numerous menus I have to click through. I also don't think the system has a fast enough processor. The modern iDrive system is really a better setup. That being said, it's certainly not terrible.
Old 11-17-14, 12:32 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Jaguar did a minor software update which sped up the response time a bit (on the XF then on other cars).

It's not as slow anymore (unlike before).

In fact, the BMW M5 F10 has a slightly slow response time for its IDRIVE mechanism............but this was fixed during the LCI facelift with an upgraded video processor and extra RAM MEMORY =)